Author Topic: Left Hook Cars  (Read 10346 times)

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
  • When a C3 is not Enough! - Try A C4
  • Mood: Get Jiggy Wit It
Left Hook Cars
« on: June 24, 2008, 08:18:45 AM »
Hi Guys,

Im sure this topic has come up in the past, but can anyone further explain or enlighten me as to why the residents in Western Australia can register left hook C4's and we cannot?

Has anyone ever written to our belovered.. cough,  cough, cough... Transport Minister?

Why is it So?... Why is there such a inconsistancy in the RTA in Australia, or is RTA only applicable to NSW?  

Why is that older vehicles (greater than 30years old) without the current safety requirements, like seatbelts, ABS, laminated glass and other modern equipment can be easily registered (and some should NOT) and newer vehicles (like C4's in Western Aus) are given the thumbs down.. In NSW?

I can understand that older ones, may not be driven regurlarly, and the newer ones might, but thats a bloody stupid argument!

Another P...sd off Australian ;29

M;36
Live life to the fullest...drive a Corvette

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 10:18:14 AM »
Originally posted by 69VETTE
Hi Guys,

Im sure this topic has come up in the past, but can anyone further explain or enlighten me as to why the residents in Western Australia can register left hook C4's and we cannot?

Whenever you have individual state and territory governments you will have individual laws and regulations on everything you can think of.

Given that cars cross state borders frequently you'd think that automobiles would be covered by Federal regulations, but don't hold you breath for that to happen. Look at the trouble involved in getting a national education syllabus in place.

And my guess is that if vehicle regs were to be nationalised, a committee of so-called experts would be set up to compile them and you know what happens when a committee gets involved in deciding anything.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 01:08:36 PM »
Originally posted by 69VETTE
Hi Guys,

Has anyone ever written to our belovered.. cough,  cough, cough... Transport Minister?

Why is it So?... Why is there such a inconsistancy in the RTA in Australia, or is RTA only applicable to NSW?  

Why is that older vehicles (greater than 30years old) without the current safety requirements, like seatbelts, ABS, laminated glass and other modern equipment can be easily registered (and some should NOT) and newer vehicles (like C4's in Western Aus) are given the thumbs down.. In NSW?

I can understand that older ones, may not be driven regurlarly, and the newer ones might, but thats a bloody stupid argument!

Another P...sd off Australian ;29

M;36

I feel your pain brother! As much as I love older cars like mine, it doesnt make sense that newer cars cant be left drive? It is supposedly to do with protecting our car industry? We are one of a very small amount of countries that drive RHD, and one of even smaller amount that dont generally let LHD's drive on our roads. Does that mean British drivers are better than us because our Government doesnt trust us driving LHD cars? Thats the general consenses that Govt. Heirachy has...they think its dangerous! Thats what I've been told by several Govt. people including nieve Police officers and RTA people I come across in my job! I could go on and on.....we should at least be given a choice wether we want to convert a car to RHD not be forced too! a $50000 car becomes $250000!;47;47;47
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline humphbri

• Two Barrel
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 05:14:45 PM »
I agree, my C3 is LHD and I have no trouble driving it on local roads. In the ACT a car must be 30 years old to have LHD (that's why I bought the newest Corvette convertible I could leave as a  LHD: 1975).

As much as I love my C3 I would have preferred to buy a C5 convertible. But if I couldn't leave it LHD I wasn't interested. FYI; in WA a car must be 15 years old to be registered as a LHD.

Personally I think we should switch to the right side of the road like the other 2/3rds of the world. If the powers that be won't do that then we should at least be able to drive LHD cars like they can in the UK and Japan.

:x

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 06:31:03 PM »
Originally posted by humphbri
Personally I think we should switch to the right side of the road like the other 2/3rds of the world.

When you stop and think of how much road infrastructure alone needs to be changed across the nation to accommodate that, there is no economic case to be made for it.

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 07:30:11 PM »
I would seriously think about selling if I could get/drive a the new ZR-1 in LHD!
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 08:26:36 PM »
I personally don't mind which side of the road we have to drive on. MY grievance is the fact we have to chop up a perfectly good car to make it comply with our ridiculous regs.:b4
NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 09:12:17 PM »
Thanks guys for all your feedback.  I totally agree with you all that we are really treated unfair here in NSW! :o

Im looking at some really nice 96 vettes in the states, particularly some really mint and low mileage 96 Grandsports, and its sad, that they seem so cheap... ;eek

The convertible ones (not the Limited edition ones) are even cheaper! ;37

I reckon you could have one over here, a GrandSport (with shipping) if you didnt have to convert it for aound 50k.. and thats a mint low milage one!.. it sxs big time....  ;47

And its a virgin unadulterated machine!....

Anyway, im not going to think about that for the moment, as it upsets me... im going to think of holidays.. cause in 3 weeks i will be on the greek islands...:spook

M;36

Offline MR 502

• Four Barrel
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 09:15:05 PM »
How many more Vettes would we have if they did't have to be converted  :an

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 09:22:07 PM »
Originally posted by MR 502
How many more Vettes would we have if they did't have to be converted  :an

Yeah... i reckon we would all have at least two.. so times that by the number in ourt club and that nearly 450...;40

M;36

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 09:22:58 PM »
Okay okay.. i know i cant count... cause the real figure is 225...:bold

M;36

Offline C4MOORE

Left Hook Cars
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 08:24:17 PM »
MR 502 right on it with, how many more we gotta convert? And how good was it when the limeys went down in the rugby the other day up ginst the All Blacks!!
My belief for the future - The government will take more. Particularly our proudest petrol users.
That means us, I think the government targets the car lover, for very good reason.
We love cars

Offline coradict72

• Four Barrel
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 07:39:02 AM »
All I can see is to get a combined petition from ALL the clubs
and get this silly rule updated to 15yr old cars as almost no one converts C4's, not enough profit for the license cost.
Its unsafe and unprofitable to alter a ton of developement on the track to achieve this fine model which is the launchpad for todays
great vettes,so let act now!!

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 12:57:14 PM »
Originally posted by coradict72
All I can see is to get a combined petition from ALL the clubs
and get this silly rule updated to 15yr old cars as almost no one converts C4's, not enough profit for the license cost.
Its unsafe and unprofitable to alter a ton of developement on the track to achieve this fine model which is the launchpad for todays
great vettes,so let act now!!

I agree with you, even better we need to pettition the Minister for Transport and complain as to why they cannot be in co-hesion with the western states!

We need a solicitor to draft something up so all the clubs can sign it and get ti to them to change these antiquated laws we operate under. ;30

Here Here ;)

M;36

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 03:54:05 PM »
Theres a few Victorian members on here that could poke a cracker up the arse of a few local clubs as well to get some more autographs!

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 10:19:35 PM »
It wasnt that long ago that you couldnt drive any LHD car on the road except for ex army jeeps and cars that were registered before Moses wore sandles. Firstly it was club rego then cars more than 30 years old. I think what you guys want will come in time. I drive my car to work and back a fair bit and Ive never had any trouble or close shaves. Dave

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 10:31:14 PM »
^ Yeah, I remember when left hookers had LEFT HAND DRIVE in red tape letters across the rear bumper.

Offline daniel42au

• Four Barrel
    • members.ozemail.com.au/~daniel42au
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by humphbri

As much as I love my C3 I would have preferred to buy a C5 convertible. But if I couldn't leave it LHD I wasn't interested. FYI; in WA a car must be 15 years old to be registered as a LHD.

:x

The quirky thing is that you cant import a vehicle built after 1989 (ie 19 years old and increasing...) unless it is going to be RAW'd to RHD so that 15 year window is going to blow right out.... and is effectively a 19 year rule unless the car is already in the country.

Offline coradict72

• Four Barrel
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 05:59:09 PM »
Yeah and I remember getting my car filled ,oil and tyres checked.Lets get to today.
Only thru the clubs can one make the changes.
The minister for transport doesnt really know about the differences WA to NSW and you need a concrete plan as to why it needs to be updated and unsafe to change a car from what it is.
We have historic plates maybe the first stage could be with club plates and being a member of a club pay a bit more to enjoy driving as is.
Constant pressure on the government thats how eastern creek drags got started.
So approach ur committee they work for you get a plan I'm ready to sign

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
Left Hook Cars
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 06:29:16 PM »
I see one main irrefutable reason why we need to have right hand drive cars...........

How the hell do you place an order at McDonalds drive through with a left hand drive car? ;58
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au