Author Topic: Wooden Car Ramps  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
Wooden Car Ramps
« on: February 05, 2008, 11:23:49 AM »
G'day lads.

With this wet weather I'm sitting here trawling the net.  Found this.

Now I'm not sure if I would trust my pride and joy on these, but the chap reckons they will hold a bull dozer.

Extract:-

"Have you ever wished there was an easy way to get your Corvette up in the air so you could comfortably work under it?  Here is a safe and inexpensive way to construct a set of portable ramps.
Instructions:

The ramps are indeed easy to build.  Both sections are built identical.  The ramps are 10'9" in length.  You can construct them from 2"x10" or 2"x12".  In this set I used 2"x10" and then nailed a couple of lengths of 1"x6" on each side on the bottom to give some extra lateral support.  (If you use 2"x12" you will have more room to place a hydraulic jack under the frame in case you need to place jack stands under the frame).  The top and bottom are 2"x10" or 12" with 2"X10" ..............................."

Click This Pic To Read The Full Article  

To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline silver1

• Four Barrel
Wooden Car Ramps
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 11:51:21 AM »
steel must be expensive over there

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Wooden Car Ramps
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 01:33:59 PM »
Steel's expensive everywhere at the moment, thanks to very high demand from China and India.

When I was a kid, a guy who lived a few doors away used to service his car and ute on somehing similar. He was a chippie, so a wooden solution was a natural choice for him I guess.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
Wooden Car Ramps
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 02:30:38 PM »
macgyver ;-)

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Wooden Car Ramps
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 06:24:37 PM »
I'd want a steel frame!

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
Wooden Car Ramps
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 07:18:55 PM »
Well if it can hold your house up....
NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
Wooden Car Ramps
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 10:00:14 PM »
the best ever set of ramps ive ever used were a solid wooden block with a slope cut chainsawed out of it.nothing like this....picture a steel ramp made out of solid wood.....measured about 3ft long a foot wide and 1ft high....sooooo easy to drive up onto.....the steel ramps i have are not bad,but i have a bit of a hard time getting the front onto them....tends to push away from the wheels.....i ended up putting the steel ones into a groove in concrete.....the wood ones were great.....just inched up to them and drive straight up....they never moved....weighed about 20kg each though....bout the only trouble i had was if they were wet and trying to get the back wheels on..gets a bit of spin up.when i was a lad we used to drag them out into the park and use them for a ramp on the trusty bmx bike.(even broke my collerbone on a jump gone wrong.)......alas the white ants got them after 25 yrs of use.....

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Wooden Car Ramps
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 09:19:24 AM »
Originally posted by MADVET
Well if it can hold your house up....

Your house has slightly more interconnecting pieces of wood to stop it from falling on you.  After a few years of moisture I wouldn't trust my life under those ramps!

Oh, and I have a steel framed house.  ;-)

;42