Author Topic: \"Borrow\" some stock exhaust pipes for my \'78 (and general help needed)  (Read 7480 times)

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
\"Borrow\" some stock exhaust pipes for my \'78 (and general help needed)
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 02:34:30 PM »
Thanks again for all your help guys. Graeme, will check VIN and let you know via u2u what it is, hopefully today or tomorrow.

Matt

Offline stingray

• Four Barrel
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 02:53:25 PM »
Hi, I still have the sticker on my left hand door which says that it came off production line in November 1976, but it was fitted with the new design trim and console wiihich made it a 1977 model and it was registered as a 77 when I bought it

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 03:12:49 PM »
Originally posted by jdunne
It should be a metal plate,not a sticker! that has the build month/year.The vin #, then reference to the corvette black book will give you an approx build date.My 74r(which was built in oct 73 which is part of the 74 model year) caused endless debate whether it was to be registered as a 73 or a 74 at the Motor Registration Branch...in the end i told them i didn't care so long as they would let me go....i was there for hours...it is officially a 74 model and is registered as such..john;41;41;41

Wow, I'm glad my 90 was built in March 90 otherwise I might have been argueing with the RTA over how Corvette production model years don't run Jan-Dec. ;40
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline SS-427

• Two Barrel
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 04:10:47 PM »
HELLO MATTRIX ,I HAVE A EXHAUST SYSTEM OFF MY 69 VETTE THAT YOU CAN HAVE. I AM BUYING A NEW SET OF SIDEPIPES . LET ME KNOW IF YOUR INTERESTED.

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 05:03:36 PM »
SS427, i assume they will fit up to my engine? Not sure about all the subtle (and not so subtle) differences between years...

Stingray, yeah that's the sticker i was talking about that was painted over. thinner could do the trip or i'll just check the black book.

Offline SS-427

• Two Barrel
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
MATTRIX, THEY SHOULD FIT, I ONLY HAVE THE PIPES FROM THE GEARBOX TO THE BACK.I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF CHANGING MOTORS AND THE EXTRACTORS ARE STILL IN THE CAR AT THE MOMENT. MOTOR  SHOULD BE COMING OUT IN A WEEK OR TWO.

Offline stingray

• Four Barrel
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 05:01:53 PM »
If you put thinners on the sticker you will remove the print too under the paint,you may have to forget it. The print on my sticker is fading off more since I have had the car,

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2008, 07:07:18 PM »
After sending the VIN to Graeme, my car is a jan78 car, though am still yet to determine when the engine was made. Regardless, it means I can get it rego'd straight away, though convincing the powers that be that the car is indeed a jan78 car could prove to be difficult... I guess I will find out soon enough.

SS427 - still sounds good. Not really knowing the stock exhaust system in the vette, if I'm to get stock manifolds off MADLT1 and the pipes from the gearbox back from yourself, is there anything else I'll need to make the setup work?

On that same note, getting the extractors off am i likely to snap bolts (common problem in the old datsun Z cars)? anything else I need to know?

Will be hitting up the indicator wiring shortly, as soon as the bloody weather fines up and i have a spare moment.

Offline SS-427

• Two Barrel
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2008, 06:41:01 PM »
MATTRIX YOUR GOING TO BE ABOUT 1 METRE SHORT OF PIPE ,TO JOIN MY PIPES TO THE STOCK  MANIFOLDS. IF YOU WANT THE PIPES THEIR LOCATED  AT MACQUARIE FIELDS.

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 09:15:01 PM »
Ah ok. Hmm, will have to keep an eye out for if there are any other pipes going around, not sure how messy this is going to be but am trying to keep it fairly hassle free if i can help it. mainly because it's gonna be enough of a pain doing the swap, i've never swapped an exhaust before (done gearboxes and so forth but haven't worked on the vette either so it'll be a first in both regards)

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2008, 09:25:25 PM »
mattrix,look up alex ross at abermain,alex ross automotive,he owns a corvete same as yours,among other cars,he owns his service station and does rta work slips,he may pass your vett with the side pipes on,tell him you know me,if you cant find the number i will chase it up.

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2008, 09:49:35 AM »
I'm out at abermain all the time (my girlfriend's family lives out there) and I'm always dropping my girlfriend out at the valley so pass through a few times a week, so will chase him down and see. I don't know if he'd be able to help me though as I'm pretty sure I need an engineers certificate.

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2008, 10:33:02 AM »
he is on the mian road to cessnock,its the servo on the right before you get to the abermian pub,look him up mattrix,he can help you big time.

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2008, 11:27:28 AM »
yeah, will drop in there tomorrow when i'm passing through, i'll be passing through a couple of times so hopefully i catch him.

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 10:59:31 AM »
Dropped in yesterday, Alex seems like a nice guy. He's going to help me out with a few things, which is awesome. He was quite impressed when I showed him a photo of my car :) his is very shmick also (probably more than mine though I couldn't tell from the pic I saw). Thanks for fgiving me the lead. Next task is calling Athol Mullen and talking to him about exactly what I need to do in order for him to pass my car, shall be interesting.

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2008, 02:31:02 PM »
keep us posted mattrix;27and good luck,hope to see you at the kurri nostalgia festival in march 29th:luv

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 01:44:22 PM »
Sent an email to Alex after talking to him last wednesday, still haven't heard back, so not sure what's happening there. might need to drop back in and have another chat to him.

and yeah, with any luck i will have it rego'd by the time the nostalgia festival comes around... fingers crossed eh

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 01:46:03 PM »
btw, are any of you guys going to be at the MAD day at swansea this sunday? i'll be there with fellow zed drivers, was hoping to get the vette there but no matter, there's always next year :)