Author Topic: Power Booster Conversion - Help!  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Vette01

Power Booster Conversion - Help!
« on: January 26, 2008, 06:56:10 PM »
Imported an Ecklers Power Brake Kit to turn my 70 Roadster into a Power boosted car. Unfortunately the 4 studs on the booster dont line up with the exisitng holes. And if I was to utilize the current hole in the firewall to connect to the pedal, the booster would sit 1.5 inched too high, and the hood wouldn't close. I thought this would have been a simple bolt on conversion. But guess what! Wrong. Were the boosted cars configured totally differently? What are my options? If I cut a new hole in the firwall, it wont line up with the pedal :-(
Thanks guys
Dave

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 01:29:27 PM »
Hi Vette01 ;42
The brake booster fits without any modifications (ecklers kits are crap)
The upper two studs on the booster goes where the old brake master cylinder fitted. if you look closly there are two lower holes/studs on the inside of the firewall. You will have to remove the studs and possibly drill the two holes.
The old push rod on the brake pedal will have to be removed, as well as the stop light switch plate.
The new brake booster connects to the lower brake pedal hole and an adaptor plate bolts to the upper brake pedal hole to engage the stop light switch.
All the old brake pipes will still fit.
Hope this helps;58

Offline Vette01

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 11:15:52 AM »
Thanks Chromie.  Thats great.  So it looks as though I need a different booster.  I assume you are referring to a genuine corvette booster then?  Where would I get one from in Oz?  Will the existing hole in the firewall fit the booster?  It is not large enough for the Eckler model.  And the adaptor plate for the lights?
Thanks mate!
Dave

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 11:44:18 AM »
as far as i know the firewall is the same as a 70 vett with a booster to a 70 vett with just a master cylinder?did your kit come with instructions?i went on the ecklers site but could not find this kit you refer to,do you have the reference #,or can you post some pics of your firewall plus your kit,this way it will be easy to piont you in the right direction,does this booster have 4 thread bars at the back of it?or is it a bracket type?:mmm

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 01:19:02 PM »
Originally posted by Vette01
Thanks Chromie.  Thats great.  So it looks as though I need a different booster.  I assume you are referring to a genuine corvette booster then?  Where would I get one from in Oz?  Will the existing hole in the firewall fit the booster?  It is not large enough for the Eckler model.  And the adaptor plate for the lights?
Thanks mate!
Dave

Hi Vette01;ay
My understanding of the Ecklers kit is that it is a 1977-82 booster and master cylinder replacement. The bolt pattern of the booster I believe to be the same as the pre 1977, however the threads on the booster are metric and the booster does look slightly different.;30

Madlt1 ;51is correct the firewalls for a non boostered to a boostered corvette are the same. You just have to find the two lower holes and reconnect the booster to the pedal in a different place. A booster locates on the lower brake pedal hole and a non boostered master cylinder locates on the upper brake pedal hole.;-)

I do keep original reconditioned brake boosters in stock as well as the brake master cylinders and stop light switch plates. ;27
If you are unable to locate all the holes to mount the booster I would suggest one of two things.;45
1/ Get a qualified person to do it for you (someone who has done it before)
2/ Buy yourself a workshop manual & an assembly manual as these two books will show you how to replace the booster.
:luv

Offline Vette01

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 09:47:09 PM »
Thanks guys.  here is the link for the kit:
http://ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=46859&dept_id=1070
Instructions were pretty useless - take the old one off and put the new one on!  An implied (incorrect) assumption it would fit.  The 4 studs at the back are equidistant, and in the middle of the booster, so it obviously wont fit!  I will trim the holes etc.  But one question - why do you have to use the lower brake pedal connection point?  Is that a leverage issue?  Not even sure if my pedal has one
Cheers
Dave

Offline Vette01

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 11:05:21 AM »
Chromie, can I have your number to call to get a price on those boosters
Thanks
Dave

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 03:29:33 PM »
Originally posted by Vette01
Thanks guys.  here is the link for the kit:
http://ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=46859&dept_id=1070
Instructions were pretty useless - take the old one off and put the new one on!  An implied (incorrect) assumption it would fit.  The 4 studs at the back are equidistant, and in the middle of the booster, so it obviously wont fit!  I will trim the holes etc.  But one question - why do you have to use the lower brake pedal connection point?  Is that a leverage issue?  Not even sure if my pedal has one
Cheers
Dave

Hi Vette01
Yes you have to use the lower connection point, it is an alignment issus as well as a brake performance issue
A reconditioned brake booster (exchange) is $450.00 + G.S.T.
if a core is not available there is a fee of $150.00 + G.S.T. The brake boosters are reconditioned here in Australia and come with 12 months warranty.
I keep the correct brake master cylinders in stock and they are $265.82 + G.S.T.  
My phone number is (02) 99718218