Author Topic: Diff X-member reinforcement kit??  (Read 5528 times)

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
Diff X-member reinforcement kit??
« on: December 06, 2007, 02:23:15 PM »
Does anyone know anything about these?  What are they actually supposed to do, and are they effective?  I came accross them while looking for front diff mountings.

Diff X-member reinforcement kit

Since I am completely rebuilding the rear of my 73 small block, it wouldn't be hard to add them in if they are worthwhile, but I can't ascertain what they actually do, and I'm obviously using the wrong key words when searching.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 03:22:41 PM »
I'm not sure exactly what the benefit is either.  If you don't know what it does then you probably don't need it.

If you rebuilding the whole rear end I think you'll be surprised how much better that will be anyway!

;42

Offline jdunne

• Four Barrel
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 03:43:44 PM »
Originally posted by Scott
Does anyone know anything about these?  What are they actually supposed to do, and are they effective?  I came accross them while looking for front diff mountings.

Diff X-member reinforcement kit

Since I am completely rebuilding the rear of my 73 small block, it wouldn't be hard to add them in if they are worthwhile, but I can't ascertain what they actually do, and I'm obviously using the wrong key words when searching.
If you are already rebuilding it the best thing to do is to make sure the diff cover is one of the reinforced heavy duty ones.....the can crack/break at the ears(where the bolts go in)quite easily....john;)

Offline WARFARIN

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 09:48:37 PM »
These things bolt on to the crossmember at each side of the chassis that supports the diff. There is a rubber mount there and this massive aluminium washer aledgedly reduces the movement under load. More info available at the VB&P website.