Author Topic: Many Thanks  (Read 3296 times)

Offline racer67

Many Thanks
« on: October 20, 2007, 05:34:11 PM »
I am looking at importing a 1969 -1973 Corvette from USA. I have spoken to all the local departments & obtain costs (taxes etc) to import a motor vehicle but I am unable to botain all the costs out of the US (west coast). I have some shipping costs ex LA - Sydney. I have been looking on the net & have seen some 69 - 73 Corvettes out of LA with a Company called USCORVETTES. I would like to know if any body in the club has imported from OS and may be able to give me more of an in sight to the whole process including any thing that i should be warey of. My contact no is (0425) 379 121.

Many thanks

Craig

Offline 427ozVette

• Two Barrel
Many Thanks
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 10:04:51 PM »
There have been plenty of threads on this forum regarding importing from the usa, however I will give you a run down on my experience.

I used a agent in Australia to arrange all the shipping from USA to SYD.
They looked after everything in the USA including the import approval application. All I had to do was provide them with some ID and fork out some $$$.
Total cost landed here using the agent was $2950.
They provide me with the import papers and everything I needed to register the car.

I had to get it delivered to the shipping yard from Pheonix AZ. This was also arranged by my agent here in Aus for about $600 from memory as it was approx 1000miles

Other than that I had to pay 10% gst on vehicle price + Shipping charges.

Then there is a quarantine and cleaning fee which you always get hit up for no matter how clean you car is. This was about $220 in Alexandria SYDNEY.

There was only one other thing that i did and that was I took out shipping insurance in case it fell off the boat and etc.

These insurances don't cover acts or war, terrorism and etc. However I felt pretty comfortable this wouldn't happen. Approx cost was $900

I just started it up and drove it home. I had it registered in the same week.

It was a very painless exercise and took about 6 weeks.

The agent I used was SMITHS INTERNATIONAL. He delivered and made it relatively easy.

I only had one problem with him and the USA contacts. They lost one small box of bike parts that was suppose to be shipped with the car and they didn't offer to pay for the replacement. They claimed they never received it, however delivery docket was signed. This cost me $600.

Good luck with your seach and I hope your car has a safe journey.

Offline racer67

Many Thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 11:11:04 PM »
Many thanks for your quick response I will look into smith's international.  You wouldn't happen to have a phone number for smith's? Did you purchase your vette through net or an agent?
Regards

Craig

Originally posted by 427ozVette
There have been plenty of threads on this forum regarding importing from the usa, however I will give you a run down on my experience.

I used a agent in Australia to arrange all the shipping from USA to SYD.
They looked after everything in the USA including the import approval application. All I had to do was provide them with some ID and fork out some $$$.
Total cost landed here using the agent was $2950.
They provide me with the import papers and everything I needed to register the car.

I had to get it delivered to the shipping yard from Pheonix AZ. This was also arranged by my agent here in Aus for about $600 from memory as it was approx 1000miles

Other than that I had to pay 10% gst on vehicle price + Shipping charges.

Then there is a quarantine and cleaning fee which you always get hit up for no matter how clean you car is. This was about $220 in Alexandria SYDNEY.

There was only one other thing that i did and that was I took out shipping insurance in case it fell off the boat and etc.

These insurances don't cover acts or war, terrorism and etc. However I felt pretty comfortable this wouldn't happen. Approx cost was $900

I just started it up and drove it home. I had it registered in the same week.

It was a very painless exercise and took about 6 weeks.

The agent I used was SMITHS INTERNATIONAL. He delivered and made it relatively easy.

I only had one problem with him and the USA contacts. They lost one small box of bike parts that was suppose to be shipped with the car and they didn't offer to pay for the replacement. They claimed they never received it, however delivery docket was signed. This cost me $600.

Good luck with your seach and I hope your car has a safe journey.

Offline cosmicvette

• Four Barrel
Many Thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 10:41:21 PM »
hey dude,

I've shipped a few vehicles with Smith International (and a number of other people from the club have also without any problems)...Nick Smith is his name, he is in Victoria. He has dealt with bringing corvettes in a number of time. nice guy.

Smith International Freight
(03) 5470 6411
email: smithint@netcon.net.au

I did ALOT of research prior to importing my first vette.....Smith International Freight was (and still is) competitive with prices....also they ship into Sydney (which alot of companies don't, so you are up for transport within Australia from Brisbane to Sydney for example with most of the other companies).
Also he has a fast shipping time.

Give him a call, I'm sure he would be more than happy to answer any questions.

I also had a problem with a few parts extra that I had posted to the LA warehouse...these packages must be clearly marked.

Re USCORVETTES - AVOID THIS COMPANY like the plague. Do not go with this company at all....the guy is a wheeler and dealer, people have lost alot of money on vettes that turned out to be real bombs.

good luck!

cosmic (ALEX)

Offline 427ozVette

• Two Barrel
Many Thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 11:47:37 AM »
I orginally saw it on Ebay US. I did a lot of research into the car and asked the guy to take it off Ebay so that I could have it inspected properly.

I used a independent vehicle inspector and I actually called the company and requested somebody with experience in early corvettes. They carried out a 150 point inspection and they provided me with a web report including photos. Approx cost $130US. (SGS....i think their name was)

The good thing about this is that the inspection was carried out at the persons house, with ID check and etc, so I knew the car definately existed and everything was OK and as the seller described.

The seller was extremely helpful in ensuring that the inspection was carried out quickly.

I was extremely happy with my purchase and how easy it was, however I'm sure there have been a few horror stories.

If you are able to, go there and inspect the car and make sure that it is what you want.

Originally posted by racer67
Many thanks for your quick response I will look into smith's international.  You wouldn't happen to have a phone number for smith's? Did you purchase your vette through net or an agent?
Regards

Craig

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
Many Thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 03:53:50 PM »
;49

SGS do not carry out inspections on pre 1981 cars anymore.
I had an inspection carried out about 3 weeks ago by an inspection company called CARCHEX and I was satisfied with the results

;27

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
Many Thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 11:33:49 PM »
my 2 cents worth and NO i havnt imported a car before,but have an importer mate who brings then in....he has an ex -pat aussie to inspect and take DETAILED photos....he also suggests using a FAST ship,as the early cars he bought in came on a slow ship....and damage in the form of blistering of paint on some cars happened...??/ only thing he can think of is somehow got salt air/water into container and it sat there for a while.he now gets the cars coated in a heavy wax befiore they leave the ua.