Author Topic: Tall Deck BB  (Read 9974 times)

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
Tall Deck BB
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2004, 06:04:23 PM »
Bladey,  Got your shots.  The high deck is a truck motor, not the best for a vette, and its gone.  But they have a 2 long motors.  Two 454's.  One at 425hp iron heads and one at 440hp alloy heads.  $9300 and $10300 respectively.

Needed would be a Demon 750 carbie $850, Dissy $345 and a Starter motor gear reduction with indexing plate $400.

You might want to check out Rocket  they have some nice gear and are cheaper in some areas.  Owned by one of the top fuellers.  
Phone 02 8825 1934 Mon to Friday.

Had to go so couldn't stay online at messenger.  Here is a link to your pictures454 cubic inch motors from EaglesThe first picture of each motor has brief specs, from their data sheets, under the picture.

Grunt, Grunt, Grunt.  Enjoy.
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline blade83

• Two Barrel
Tall Deck BB
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2004, 02:43:32 AM »
Wow man, thank-you soooo much :22 I really owe you big time :22:22

Do you think a 454 will be much heavier than the 427? Ill of course use alloy heads for either, the 427 seems to be one hard bastard to find :b4

That one with the alloy heads 440 HP looks alright, of course its a little too "finished" for what Im after, no point in buying the engine already made up, only to throw half the stuff away cause its not good enough ;-- I'd be happy to find the 427 or 454 block, so I can choose all my parts from the ground up :22

What ever it takes to get a street trim Vette into the 10's and still be driven every day is what Im after :bold

Thanks again man Your much too kind :25

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
Tall Deck BB
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2004, 05:51:54 PM »
427's are harder to find so I've been told.  Try ringing Rocket.  Their web site is only good if you know part numbers etc.  You could get a motor built.  Thats what I'm doing.  Bare block with our own bits in it.  Told the guy what I want as far as HP goes and reliability and he told me what I needed to do to get it.  Sat down with him and went through all the calcs, dollars etc, only because I'm one to that sought of thing, but I did'nt have to.  Any good engine builder can do that for you.  You just need the dollars.  Mine around $16000.

As I said before it's what is on the inside that counts.  My little 350 will be about 375 to 400HP naturally aspirated, carbie not injection, and quite driveable around town.  The 350 turbo auto has also been tricked up to handle the extra ponies.  No use having grunt if you can't deliver it reliably.  Auto cost around $2000 including new torque converter at around 2000 rpm stall, all new insides including case savers and shift kit.

The chap buliding the motor is the same chap doing the box.  That way the left hand knows what the right is doing.

Lets us know what you end up doing.  Don't know about weights between the 427 and 454.  Never built one that big in cubes.

www.xcz.com.au

MJ355

Tall Deck BB
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2004, 06:11:07 PM »
im prity sure they weigh the same as they are the same size
blade for what u want to do i would wait and get the motor off 69 dirty rat as it will be a 427
what u want and will be running and u can play with it and change things on it as funds allow and andy will do u a good deal ;28

Offline blade83

• Two Barrel
Tall Deck BB
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2004, 10:23:01 PM »
Yes they seem to be bloody hard to find, Ive been pouring through this parts mag for days now, and there are only a few references to the 427, mostly parts for it not the engine :(

Mmm I think you're right MJ355, that 427 in the Eagle auto add, mentions nothing about it being a truck engine, if I buy the engine from dirty rat, Im guaranteed it came from a Vette :22 And start from scratch.

As for transmission, I plan on running a 3.73 or possibly even a 4.11 diff, so Im going to go for a TH-700R4 because of its overdrive to keep the revs a little more friendly.

Is there any way of getting in touch with Dirty rat? email?

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
Tall Deck BB
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2004, 12:26:23 AM »
Originally posted by blade83

The ad actually advertises a "Chev 427 Tall deck long engine"

Tall deck was the give away I have learnt.  Thats what goes in trucks.  Learning each day.

I'll probably see Andy, Dirty Rat On Tuesday club meet.  If he has not replied to your post by then I'll let him know you are looking for him.  Click on his or anybodys PROFILE and if they have an email they want public it will be listed there.  Profile button is at the  bottom of each members post/reply.

www.xcz.com.au

Offline blade83

• Two Barrel
Tall Deck BB
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2004, 01:53:01 AM »
heheh thanks man, That some new info for me too :22 If you could tell dirty rat to get in contact with me that would be great, Ill send him an email anyway, and Ive already sent him a V2V or U2U whatever it is ;--

Thanks man :22

MJ355

Tall Deck BB
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2004, 04:33:04 PM »
i just sent him a sms for ya

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
Tall Deck BB
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2004, 04:21:20 PM »
Blade,I sent a U2U.Did you get it? Otherwise Email me andymoanie@hotmail.com
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline blade83

• Two Barrel
Tall Deck BB
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2004, 02:38:00 AM »
Thanks man, I sent a reply :22

Offline SDay

Tall Deck BB
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2007, 08:52:12 PM »
A tall deck has a deck height of 10.2" from the centre line of the crank to the block cylinder head face. Std block is 9.8".