Author Topic: Cold Start Problem  (Read 10234 times)

Offline John Moore

Cold Start Problem
« on: August 26, 2007, 09:04:14 PM »
I am having cold [first] start problems with my '88 convertible. It started to be just acccasionaly every now and again but now it's regularly like this. It cranks over OK without firing then it will cough and splutters a few tmes before it finally starts and settles into it's normal idle. Once running and at normal operating temps if I turn it off and re-start it starts with no problems. Do I have a fuel problem, I have heard of injector leak down and if that is the problem what do I do to fix it.
By the way I have owned this car for many years and it was mirror converted by Corvette Connection in 1993.

Offline VET-005

• Four Barrel
Cold Start Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 07:48:55 AM »
John,

First thing to do is a computer codes test. This should tell you if you have any electronic faults such as sensonors or air flow meter burn back relays etc. In saying that if you do a codes test and you get an all systems pass you need to start looking at other things such as fuel reg vacume problems and injector leak. If all this is good then you have an ECU problem. I recently had all of these symptoms in my work car and found the computer to have s#!t itself. The computer can diagnose everything accept itself, and i would be checking everything else before i go replacing an ECU. If does end up being the ECU you won't need to replace the memcal as it will be fine.

Good Luck if you need any help just ask!!!
Click Images For My Gallery

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Cold Start Problem
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 12:36:53 PM »
Do 88's have the cold start injector like the 85's?

I'd do a fuel pressure test and check the timing, plugs, leads etc.  Injectors don't last forever so if you have the time and spare $$ it wouldn't hurt to get them checked and cleaned at some point.  What do your plugs look like?

If you can find someone with an '88 willing to swap ECU's and start it cold that will at least eliminate a major fault.

Offline White88

• Four Barrel
Cold Start Problem
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 01:03:13 PM »
Yes 88's do have a cold start injector. Leaking injectors (not cold start) normally affect hot starting , so I don't think it's that or the ECU because it seems ok after it fires up and clears. I would be looking at possible the reguator / fuel pump first , then cold start injector.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Cold Start Problem
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 04:26:38 PM »
Here is an old thread that might be of use.

Previous Thread

Offline John Moore

Cold Start Problem
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 11:09:31 PM »
Thanks for all the input I appreciate it.
John..

Offline VET-005

• Four Barrel
Cold Start Problem
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 07:47:58 AM »
Originally posted by White88
Yes 88's do have a cold start injector. Leaking injectors (not cold start) normally affect hot starting , so I don't think it's that or the ECU because it seems ok after it fires up and clears. I would be looking at possible the reguator / fuel pump first , then cold start injector.

Don't rule out an ECU problem if you cant find any of the other typical faults. I had this very same problem with my Nissan Pulsar and went through all the typical problems first such as check injectors check computer codes which gave me an all systems pass then check temp sensor, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, etc etc. In the end i bought a secondhand ECU and put it in and problem solved. The ecu can diagnose everything accept itself, so if it tels you everything is ok and you have checked all the other typical problems it may just be the ECU.
Click Images For My Gallery

Offline daniel42au

• Four Barrel
    • members.ozemail.com.au/~daniel42au
Cold Start Problem
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 02:55:35 PM »
Originally posted by 77CVT
Here is an old thread that might be of use.

Previous Thread

Does anyone know how close the Arm Chair Diagnostics provided came to solving the problems posted in the 'previous thread'?

Offline 2 short

• Two Barrel
Cold Start Problem
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 07:53:11 AM »
I am not sure how close any of the suggestions came to fixing my problem? (85 model)
I put up with the starting problem until I decided to service the heads, that was my first mistake!
Anyway to cut a long story short, I believe my bad starting problem was related to blocked injectors?
Had the old ones serviced when the heads were off and after that  they worked too well causing flooding, to the extent of filling the sump with fuel.
Got a set of those aftermarket ones from the states and its been good so far. (touch wood!!)
If anyone has trouble and wants to try some different parts in their car before buying new stuff I have quite a few spares I bought trying to fix the problem.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Cold Start Problem
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 12:42:52 PM »
bad injectors certainly contributed to my woes at the Melbourne convention - 3 were bad.

Having so much fun didn't help either!

;46

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
Cold Start Problem
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 11:17:42 PM »
Originally posted by 77CVT
bad injectors certainly contributed to my woes at the Melbourne convention - 3 were bad.

Well judging by this, not only were your injectors letting in too much fuel but your throttle body may have been letting in too much air as well.;53

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Cold Start Problem
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 12:07:34 PM »
Ha ha!  I forgot that was out there.

;46