Technical Tips > Post 84

Shocks for 88

<< < (3/3)

Brutus:
Do you know if the shocks you have now are able to be rebuilt/repaired? If so the you should be able to get them revalved as well.

Tom Matic:
Stingraynut

in response to your post of 8/6.

My Falkens - 451FK's - fronts are 255/40ZR17 and the rears are 275/40ZR17.  In my case, the bigger diameter, lower profile did not increase harshness of ride (originally 16 inch rims on my model)

My shocks are Koni gas adjustable, which were on the car when I bought it about ten years ago.  Sorry, I don't know any details of settings there.

The travel, with my static 115kg dead weight completely on the body immediatley above the wheels is 270mm at the front and  130mm at the rear.

Tom

Stingraynut:
Thanks for that info Tom Matic, 270mm !!!!!! WOW, mine is a bare 20mm - you can see why I’m complaining about the harsh ride !!!!!!!!

On the other hand, 270 mm sounds like a lot – that’s just over 10 and a half inches on the imperial scale – I was expecting to find ‘normal’ was about 2 ½ to 4 inches or 60 to 120mm. Please can you confirm that your travel is 270mm, not 27mm ?

255 on the front…..what rims do you have ? I have the 12 slots – www.myvette.20m.com

It’s good to know the change of tyre to Falkens didn’t change the ride. I’m fairly convinced that my shocks just don’t react fast enough, long smooth bumps are fine. One of our Queensland Corvette experts, John Bondock, also recommends the Koni’s, but I’m concerned that our roads up here are too rough and that I’ll need something a bit softer.

Brutus – thanks for the re-con idea, I had checked that as they are about $50 each, that would have been the easiest way– they could have changed the valving too, I think. Unforutunately I have Deloco-Bilsteins which are manufactured in such a way that they can’t be re-conned.

270mm front suspension travel……..that would be smooth as

S’nut

Tom Matic:
Sorry, being an old fart educated in the imperial system, I sometimes get a little confused with the metric stuff.  Delete the zeros from the end of the figures I previously mentioned.

My rims are Boyd Coddington Blasters.

Stingraynut:
Ok, thought 270mm was a lot. I think this confirms my diagnosis that my shocks don’t act fast – we have almost the same amount of travel, it’s hard to measure accurately.

Metric versus Imperial………..it’s a pity we don’t all have one measurement. I’m a 1951 baby boomer, quite happy using metric but I have noticed that there are some things that naturally measure better in Imperial. MPG of course and things like planning/designing rooms, boxes – things for humans. Six feet will always be a better human unit than 180cm’s I reckon. Metric is so accurate though, I prefer it for most things.

Thanks Tom Matic, if you had confirmed 270mm I was going to ask for a picture of your ‘limousine’ and give you the bad news that it wasn’t a Corvette

S’nut

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version