Author Topic: Convention 2007 bosch\'s convention report  (Read 4835 times)

Offline BOSCHVETTE

• Tri Powered
Convention 2007 bosch\'s convention report
« on: April 17, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
Well,well,well................................
                                                    After picking up "OPERATION ASSKICKER" at 5.30pm from my mechanic on wednesday night and spending alnight washing/packing/preping(got to bed about 2am),i was finally on the road for sunny Qld 7am thursday morning.
so here we are cruising down the highway,first fuel stop at the 360km mark(tank dead empty) and the car is far from running right,so head off again and slowly but surely the car is starting to run very sick and blowing more and more smoke.
200km's up the road and all of a sudden no oil pressure:p so pull over and add 3 litres of oil and continue on(not F...... HAPPY) 10 litres of oil 4 tanks of fuel later we arrive at the convention at about 10pm.TIRED AND P%*#ED OFF.

Friday morning, ok manifold has to come off,borrow as many basic tools as possible and with the help of a few on lookers( at this point i must THANK Gary who worked side by side all day with me both friday and saturday tirelessly and would accept nothing more than a few drinks,THANK YOU SO MUCH and to sharon your wife for letting you live in the basement with me for 2 days, i thank the 2 of you very much i could not have done it with out you),we pull the manifold off to find that the intake manifold was leaking oil into the cylinders.
so i call Tom from Qld club and he picks up a set of standard issue sprintcar gaskets(way to small for the ports in my intake and heads but dont forget it is good friday)and we re-assemble and take it for a quick run thinking i only have to change 8 obviously stuffed spark plugs).

Saturday morning, up early and off to wash car change the plugs and off to show and shine right,WRONG broke down 3 times burnt my self changing the plugs at the car wash had to walk to repco to buy parts and the car is running worse than ever:p.coughed and farted the 4km's back to the motel and had lost all hope of getting the car back on the road and was starting to organise to tow it 1300kms home.
so off to the show and shine and get some breakfast(its about 11am by now)I was so p$%#ed off i would not even talk to myself.Mopped around and was not happy even surrounded by 150 corvettes.
Then some clown walks behind me and makes a comment to the person he was talking to that "HE" definately had the fastest C4..................................WELL THAT WAS IT ......................THAT BLOODY MANIFOLD WAS COMING OFF AGAIN.................so at 12.30pm i got a lift back to the motel and started to pull the old girl apart AGAIN..................but this time we find exactly the problem and i am able to do a tempory fix  with gasket goo and change all 8 plugs and replace the manifold with the help of Gary again and also THE VERY BEAUTIFUL TRACEY who had come back early to spend a relaxing time beside the pool only to be sent to repco 4 times to pickup parts for me totalling about 4 hours THANK YOU TRACEY i could not have done it without you.
Car goes vroom at 5.55pm with still about 6 people needing a shower for the 6pm bus to sea world.

SUNDAY.................THE DRAGS, ANDY's kind enough to tow my car the 1.5 hours up the road to the drags so that i get the best chance to run it thankyou Simone for driving it was a massive help.
but the problem i had was setting the timing and that the new intake gaskets were bloking about 1/3 of my air flow through my heads making it run very, very rich.so after playing with the timing and tuning it by ear i was able to lock the dissy off at a point that at least gave me about 85-90% power and get some runs in.
i was at least happy to be out there having some fun and showing what OPERATION ASSKICKER was close to capable of.
The afternoon rolls around and i am luckly enough to be in the top 8 fastest to have a crack at being the champion,
well to cut a long story short i was lucky enough to win the day and take home the trophy in a "dial your own" shoot out which to be honested suited the fact the my car was sick as it really meant that the outright fastest car did not win.
but in saying that i did run a 11.99 which i think was about 2nd or 3rd quickest of the day so i was very happy with that.
(the red 69 and black 76 are very quick cars).

At this point i MUST thank VO for ALL his help for the WHOLE weekend from giving my dad a room to stay in on thursday night to lending me his slicks at the drags and just running around to help out where possible CHEERS MATE.THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Well i did manage to drive the old girl home a couple of days ago and it only used 4 tanks of fuel and 4 litres of oil and it is booked in next week to get fixed.

I would just like to thank everyone for there help even if it was just to pop in and ask if there was anything that you could do to help,it was good to catch up with you all and i hope to spend less time working on my car the next time.

CHEERS BOSCHVETTE;46
New toy about to breath life and we will have a strangle hold on the leadfoot forever 850hp 1150kg Australian sports sedan series here we come.
Z06 sports sedan about to be semi retired.
Old C4 weapon now retired to the garage
450 RWHP WITH MORE TORQUE THAN MUNDINE
BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE BOUGHT A BAG OF ROCKS TO A GUN FIGHT.....

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
Re: Convention 2007 bosch\'s convention report
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 07:07:06 PM »
wow i can feel for you boschy,a few years back when the convention was in canbera i had similar problems,got 3/4s of the way down and the vet was running real rough,spent the night in the car park trying to fix the problem,it has a solid cam so we thought it might be as simple as a rocker arn=m adjustment or timeing,was not til next day at the drags we worked out it was a head gasket,leaking betweeen the cylinders ,so it was backfireing up through the carb.there great when there going but boy they test us at the most unwanted times when there not,hope it all works out for you.

Offline Shane Finn

• Four Barrel
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 08:32:31 PM »
I am really glad you triumphed in the end. I am not sure I would have had that much stamina and patience and just not have torched it. The support of the Vette community around you is wonderful.

I forecast though that when this is all behind you and the beast is fully unleashed there will be grins from ear to ear for a long time to come.
2001 Z06, Torch Red

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 10:37:34 PM »
It was a great moment! From despair to elation in less than 24 hours! You couldnt script a better story!
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 10:52:46 PM »
Way to go team. :bold

Keep us posted Boschy on how it all turns out.

PS
I bet when you called it operation ass kicker that you didn't think it would be YOUR ass it was going to be kicking ;53
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 11:30:06 AM »
Had I have realised you needed a timing light I could have got you one! :ado

Great to see you made it back!

Offline 86er

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 12:21:13 PM »
No problem Boschie, I will look forward to when you have the car running at it's full potential.
I am glad it turned out the way it did.
Vette blues