Author Topic: Just got a Canary on the \'76 (updated pic)  (Read 7838 times)

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
Just got a Canary on the \'76 (updated pic)
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 08:57:13 AM »
the laws in victoria may be different in nsw,man that looks like a 4 wheel drive;47ghange it back:b4

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2007, 09:12:15 AM »
Originally posted by MADLT1
the laws in victoria may be different in nsw,man that looks like a 4 wheel drive;47ghange it back:b4

This law is Australia wide - 100mm minimum clearance from the lowest part.

The thing that has got me thinking is how these days insurance companies are knocking back so many claims because of any small reason they can think of, I have heard of insurance claims being completely denied because window tint is too dark, they can do it because your car is too low as well.

I'd hate to have my vette totalled and then the insurance company says "NO - we're not paing a cent cause your car is too low making it unroadworthy thus voiding your insurance" ... the thing is this is happening every day now. It's scary.

Trust me, every time I look at my car now I hate it. I'm not happy at all.

If you get under your car and the exhaust, bellhousing and all the other stuff that hangs down does not clear 100mm, it's not a pass.

My exhaust was tucked up above the bellhousing (height wise) so the lowest point was the bellhousing. It is a now just over 100mm clearance, it looks like sh#t.

These cars were designed in America which does not have height clearance regulations...

I've been scrolling through heaps of Australian corvette pics and most look like they are under height. I only found one pic that looked high like mine is now and thats a car from melbourne that I think recently underwent a roadworthy as well.

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2007, 09:16:13 AM »
Your springs will sag about 1/2" to 3/4" over the next few months if you use it often which going by your photos is not going to be enough. If it was mine i'd change it back and just keep those springs on the shelf just in case.

NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2007, 09:20:45 AM »
Originally posted by MADVET
Your springs will sag about 1/2" to 3/4" over the next few months if you use it often which going by your photos is not going to be enough. If it was mine i'd change it back and just keep those springs on the shelf just in case..

Car gets driven every day, but I can imagine the old springs will be back in very shortly. Still not decided yet though:

Do I do the "right" thing?

or

Do I make the car look and drive good again?

;47

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 09:23:26 AM »
i was always told nothing was to hang below the bottom of the rim,in case you get a blow out ,nothing will drag or bite into road.

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
    • www.invisiblecarbras.com.au
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2007, 09:33:33 AM »
Demon, if you do leave the springs in there, get an alignment. These cars have a lot of bumpsteer in them and the change in ride height will mean the alignment is now out.

The chassis for the C3 was designed way back in the late 50's/early 60's. It was designed to work with high profile Bias ply tyres. When you put modern, lower profile radials on, all the ground clearance disappears.
When I first registered my Vette back in 87 I had to go over the pits in Carlton. The exhaust scraped over the lip over the pits which was set at 4 inches.  The inspectors looked the other way at the time. ;28This is with the stock F41 springs and new Yokohama 235/60/15's all round.

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2007, 06:27:24 PM »
Originally posted by demonx
Originally posted by nifty
while its off the road why not fix the rad support..

I also forgot to mention the rotors were also just under spec. Add new rotors to the list.

;54

Just got some front rotors cost me $136 for the pair plus $236 for the express freight.

;50

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2007, 06:46:03 PM »
i just went and checked mine:bold80mm bellhouseing to the ground;40the exhaust is at its lowest piont at the back,were it is under the rear spring;laugh70mm,but there is room to go up some more,but i dont know about suspension travel;-)look mine has been this low for over 12 years now and have had no probs,touch wood,i hope i have not just jinxed myself:23there is the insurance issue;38but at the end of the day if your not happy with the look just change it back,maybe not as low as it was but get the front down to a piont were you will be happy with,allso stay away from the hot spots were the cops  target young hoons for the defect notice:22thats just my 2 cents worth  anyway.:}

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2007, 07:28:31 AM »
All this has come at such a crappy time...

Today - at a day where my vette looks like an offroad vehicle - the local Newspaper is coming to take a photo of our clubs cars to help publicise our club.

What crappy timing! We only have 6-8 members and I already know a couple won't be there, I only have 2 confirmed yes's plus me, so I can't skip out on having my car in the pic either.

Offline vette2bshaw

• Four Barrel
    • http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/vette2bshaw/
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2007, 08:42:53 AM »
Its a shame you dont have those spring compresor clamps ,you could remove them after the shoot.

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2007, 08:22:51 PM »
Originally posted by demonx

Do I do the "right" thing?
or
Do I make the car look and drive good again?

It's a tough call but I think your car would look good with it's original springs and the 13mm spacers.  
Did you get any pictures of that combo?

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2007, 11:10:08 PM »
No - no pics. They got ripped out before I even took the car home.