Author Topic: burnt auto oil.  (Read 4286 times)

Offline steve_79

• Two Barrel
burnt auto oil.
« on: January 29, 2007, 05:09:48 PM »
G'day again.

I've recently been having trouble with my auto (85 c4) not changing up gears and slipping when starting off.

The mechanic next door had a look and said the oil's burnt and i need to take it to an auto service bloke to have anything done.

What i'm asking is, could i just drain the oil and refill, or is this likely to be yet another problem that's just popped up with this car and my hand needs to head to the pocket again. oh, the pocket's empty before anyone ask's.

Thanks again.

Steve

Offline TPI-383

• Two Barrel
burnt auto oil.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 05:49:16 PM »
steve_79,
  I guess the trans is a Turbo 700 R4 4 speed auto in your car,if it is I had a 90mod SS Commodore that had the same smell and was slipping as well all through the range. The news was not good as the trans had to be rebuilt.These boxes suffer from heat and under hard driving or hot conditions need a good trans cooler for long life and reliability.I fitted the largest cooler I could get on the front of the radiator,which on a VN SS was a task and a half with A/C on the car,and got the trans rebuilt with stage 2 shift kit,H/D clutches and "corvette servos"(which yours will have already Commodores did not)and fitted a 1800 rpm stall coverter and never had a problem again.After that it was also the best shifting auto I have ever had,it would take off hard and kick sideways into 2nd and chirp into 3rd under heavy acceleration with good tyres but still be smooth at cruising speeds.They are not cheap to rebuild and are best done by someone who knows these trans as they can be tricky to get right.If you are in Sydney I may be able to recommend someone if they are still in the trade,been a while since I have used them.I was very happy with the work done on my car and the price.Hope this helps.
TPI-383

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
burnt auto oil.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 08:58:06 PM »
Originally posted by steve_79
G'day again.

I've recently been having trouble with my auto (85 c4) not changing up gears and slipping when starting off.

The mechanic next door had a look and said the oil's burnt and i need to take it to an auto service bloke to have anything done.

What i'm asking is, could i just drain the oil and refill, or is this likely to be yet another problem that's just popped up with this car and my hand needs to head to the pocket again. oh, the pocket's empty before anyone ask's.

Thanks again.

Steve

Hi steve -79;42
If the oil is burnt changing the oil and filter is ok;27
But if it is slipping and your oil level is correct, then a service will not rectify the slipping. Because either a servo, band or clutch has failed.;53
Sorry mate "rebuild time"
And they are not a plesant job to remove and refit either;;30

Offline steve_79

• Two Barrel
burnt auto oil.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 04:20:22 PM »
Thanks guys.

I forgot to add that the symptoms are only present when the oil temp on the dash is over about 105 degrees. I don't know if this makes any difference or not.

Thanks again.

Steve

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
burnt auto oil.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 06:30:20 PM »
Sorry mate "rebuild time"
And they are not a plesant job to remove and refit either

;51