Technical Tips > Interiors - Trim - Seats - Carpets

Old carpet removed, heat barrier installed, saved $$$

(1/5) > >>

Scott81:
Hi all, don't know if this will help as I don't know if we have polluted Australia with our home supply stores yet :b2 but if you are doing this job the heat barrier is basically the small bubble wrap with foil on both sides.

Finally the old nasty carpet is out!  From the looks of it, it was the original carpet and it was nasty and faded, and so brittle you could poke your finger through it.

On a suggestion from bobchad I went down to Lowes and bought a roll of Reflectix, they have different sizes but I got the 24"x25' roll so I would have plenty of it just in case, good thing too as I used every bit.  For $24 it sure beats those $100+ kits.  Also picked up a roll of aluminum tape, bringing the total to a whopping $33.  Thanks Bob! :D

This stuff is easy to work with as Bob noted, cut a length of it and mold it in then just trim as needed then seal it up with the tape.

I also bought new rear storage doors(complete) from Dewitts, it showed up promptly and looks fantastic!  I can't install it yet as I'm still waiting on my carpet which I ordered the very same day, hopefully it arrives tomorrow or I'll be quite :mad as I'm supposed to be at a show Saturday.

Carpet removal & heat barrier install

77CVT:
;35

I went the opposite route.  I bought some rubber/foam back insulation and glued it to the underside of the floor and tunnel back to the start of the seats.  My exhaust is only an inch away from the floor in one point so I figured why insulate from the inside when the floor will still get hot.  I have rivets with penny washers holding it up as well as some alum strips riveted on in case the glue fails in 5yrs.

I'm still going to do the inside as well!  :b2

Scott81:
77CVT, sounds like you need some sidepipes, keeps the heat off the floor :22

77CVT:
Sidepipes.....hmmmmmm ....don't get me started!  I've already spent too much!

rebel:
Scott81, nice job!!

I think the best job though is both under the floor and under the carpet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version