Author Topic: thermo fans  (Read 19829 times)

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
thermo fans
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2006, 10:13:46 PM »
OK the pole is up.

CLICK ME to go to the pole.
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
thermo fans
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2006, 10:38:41 PM »
;51 with madlt1 I changed my fan setup in my s/b 72 from mechanical to flex-a-lite brand # 210, 2 x 12" fans with an adjustable temp 180-240 control box with a/c relay, the area that the unit covers is 0.660 by 0.380 it fits very snug between the vertical tanks as if it was made for it , have had no issues with overheating whatsoever, with no fan shroud or the foam strip that sits on top of the radiator support panel.The only issue I had was the fuse holder that was supplied - it couldn't handle the 19.5 amp's so it sh#t itself over time & had to be replaced with a heavier holder.

BTW Madlt1 I never realized u & crommie were related ;41

CLICK ME to go to the pole to vote.
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline smokem

• Four Barrel
thermo fans
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 11:13:40 PM »
I have BB and use 1 push 1pull thermo's and never have a problem from word go. NO shrouds ,Just clean 4 core and cooling system components in good order. Can sit in traffic no problems.

STOP ACTING STUPID!
WE'VE GOT POLITICIANS TO DO THAT
[/i]

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
thermo fans
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2006, 11:21:19 PM »
SB standard set up...never had a problem, bearing in mind i drive my vette evry week-end without fail (city driving & Country Driving), having said that, 2 sundays ago  had a minor problem with the gasket (Thermometer housing) Gasket and it was purely wear and tear problem as a result the car overheated. It is all good now

Sorry not trying to hijack the thread

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
thermo fans
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 02:25:57 PM »
I've seen plenty of C3's with thermo's that work and plenty that don't!  I agree that the stock setup works but if you run thermo's without foam block off's and some sort of a shroud then you are in the minority (IMHO).  Just like you cannot run a C3 with mech fan, not have a shroud and not boil!

It comes down to your block and rad - if you have a fresh block and rad then chances are with a thermo you won't have a problem.

For c3's, stock it a safe bet most of the time!

;42

Offline Shane Finn

• Four Barrel
thermo fans
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2007, 07:56:30 AM »
And some people just go all out!

Check this out...
2001 Z06, Torch Red

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
thermo fans
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 10:19:49 PM »
My 78 runs 160 180 all day any day used ford el fans. Have the fans wired to come on in stages to stop inrush current at start up. One fan also operates with ac. Fitted a stainless spring in bottom hose and have fitted a duct in air intakes to duct air up toward radiator & not out thru holes in valence panel. Sealed up all obvious holes at front of car so air has to go thru radiator ie bumper suports perimiter or radiator etc. The thermostat control is mounted in the top of water pump to get a bigger temperature variation. Most people put thermostat in top of motor or top radiator hose there is no variation in temperature it is always hot coming out of the motor, if it is hot coming out of the radiator.  means there is no air flow so fans turn on.Took a bit of experimenting on the stove with a thermometer, pot of water & a multimeter checking various ones from wrecking yard to find one which had suitable temperature on / off characteristics

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
thermo fans
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 12:50:42 AM »
;40

C3 with original fan setup, stinking hot day,sitting on 120Km, had to slow down as temperature was nearly on max . First time I have pushed it for a long period.
Dam it, will have to investigate.

;38

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
thermo fans
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2007, 03:46:32 PM »
Originally posted by reserved
;40

C3 with original fan setup, stinking hot day,sitting on 120Km, had to slow down as temperature was nearly on max . First time I have pushed it for a long period.
Dam it, will have to investigate.

;38

Hi reserved;42
Do you have the OEM front plastic spoiler and valance panel underneath your vette?;50

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
thermo fans
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 10:47:08 PM »
Hey Chromie, just so ya know it's a big block.
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
thermo fans
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 09:10:34 AM »
Originally posted by Cameron 77C3
Hey Chromie, just so ya know it's a big block.

Big block small block it doesn't make any difference;30 as they "DON NOT OVERHEAT" when set up correctly with the OEM design.;53

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
thermo fans
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2007, 05:18:58 PM »
Need to block sides of rad and the gap between the top tof the support panel and hood.  also the gap between the rad and top of rad support if a non oem air filter is installed.

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
thermo fans
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 11:51:16 PM »
:an
Been away for a few days, sorry I did not answer earlier
I have a air scoop thingy under the front impact bumper I think thats the the spoiler I will have to look for the valance panel. I will aso check for gaps mentioned.
:mmm

Offline jdunne

• Four Barrel
thermo fans
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2007, 04:44:56 PM »
For those that remember seeing my 74R they will recollect seeing the biggest alum rad they have ever seen in a c3,together with separate oil cooler and trans cooler stacked in front of rad with davies craig 14" fan on engine side,not a sign of any sort of shrouding and absolutely no temp issues at all...my biggest issue is  getting rid of the heat from underhood.....john;35;35;35