Author Topic: Tyres for a C4  (Read 8496 times)

Offline dino

• corvettesofcanberra.org.au
Tyres for a C4
« on: April 18, 2006, 11:55:11 AM »
I need some new tyres to replace the Falken 275/40ZR17 tyres on my 1988 vette. I am after good quality tyres but don't want to spend a huge amount.

Does anyone have recommendations/warnings about suitable tyres and where to get them in Sydney or Canberra?

Alternatively, has anyone arranged for tyres directly from the US? I don't need them in a huge hurry.

I have read the earlier posts from a few years ago but would be interested in up-to-date info.

Dino

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
Tyres for a C4
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 12:05:32 PM »
cosmicvette would able to help you....she is pretty switched on....u2u her if u can or email her as she could be bit busy and she is not on here all the time

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
  • When a C3 is not Enough! - Try A C4
  • Mood: Get Jiggy Wit It
Tyres for a C4
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 05:12:47 PM »
Hello Dino,

Have you tried antique tyres in victoria. If you want the classical original stuff they do have heaps.

Heres theyre link  http://www.antiquetyres.com.au/

M;36
Live life to the fullest...drive a Corvette

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Tyres for a C4
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 10:19:22 AM »
Rather than start a new thread.......

Has anyone got Sumitomo's on their C4?  I've seen a few C3's with them & heard they are resonably priced.

I kinda fried my rears at the convention.  

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
Tyres for a C4
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 11:34:44 AM »
Originally posted by 77CVT
Rather than start a new thread.......

Has anyone got Sumitomo's on their C4?  I've seen a few C3's with them & heard they are resonably priced.

I've run them in the past.  They are reasonably priced.  I didn't really have any complaints with them for the money except that they were "squealers" (every time I broke traction they squealed nice and loud so everyone looked).  They weren't the best in the wet either but to be honest I've never been happy ith any of the tyres I've had on the Vette in the wet - thats just the car I guess.  For the money they aren't too bad.

I kinda fried my rears at the convention.  

Funny about that... ;41
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
Tyres for a C4
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 02:03:43 PM »
Originally posted by dino

Alternatively, has anyone arranged for tyres directly from the US? I don't need them in a huge hurry.
Dino

Hi Dino, i have a C3 and ordered my tyres 8 weeks ago from www.tirerack.com but unfortunately i have been unlucky with my order due to the the following fact; all good year factories in the us and canada are on strike so the message reads the followinf from the supplier

"G'day.  I am afraid we have run into a problem and I was waiting anotherweek or 2 for the resolution before I called you.  Most of the Goodyearfactories in the US and Canada are currently on strike so I am not surewhen these will be delivered here.  We just checked with them today andthere is no end in site.  Perhaps you would consider another tire inthat same size?"

Well can not say that is going happen to you if you order from the states but at least you know with Good year is NO GO for now ;30

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Tyres for a C4
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 03:09:11 PM »
... I didn't really have any complaints with them for the money except that they were "squealers" (every time I broke traction they squealed nice and loud so everyone looked).  

I think we have the same problem no matter what tyre we run!! :b2   :evil

Is any C4 owner out there happy with the tyre they are running??  If so - please share!

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
Tyres for a C4
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 06:51:41 PM »
Michelin Pilots are good, can be pretty luny with them, even in the wet. They are quite progressive mostly, but on some surfaces when they let go (when running hard) they will really let go. I believe tyre pressure is critical to reading the surface you are running on as they do heat up. Oran Park at easter I found they became more and more squirmy as they warmed up. Someone told me I had started on too low pressure at 35psi all round. Ofcourse running into the first corner after the main straight too hot was the only real time they got out of shape.;--

Offline SC

• Four Barrel
Tyres for a C4
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 09:41:39 PM »
Hi guys i also run Michelin and love them the only hassel is the price i am running 89y rated  and these are no longer in production and you have to go to 100y they are fantastic but at $820.00 you dont fry them

Offline cosmicvette

• Four Barrel
Tyres for a C4
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 10:02:27 PM »
Originally posted by SC
Hi guys i also run Michelin and love them the only hassel is the price i am running 89y rated  and these are no longer in production and you have to go to 100y they are fantastic but at $820.00 you dont fry them

;51 I also have Michelon Pilot Sports......the best tyres....(and they look great too!). but are very pricey:
at US$281 for 275's..or US$322 for 285s PER TYRE.... ;30
thats why Ive chosen Goodyear Eagle F1, GS-D3's.

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
Tyres for a C4
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 11:42:01 PM »
Originally posted by SC

Count me in for Michelins here too.  I have just about finished off my Pilots and love them - I just didn't mention them because of the $$$ factor.
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Tyres for a C4
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 04:27:31 PM »
Not too much choice for 255/50/16 unfortunately.

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
Tyres for a C4
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 08:10:40 PM »
Originally posted by cosmicvette
...thats why Ive chosen Goodyear Eagle F1, GS-D3's.

Hey cosmicvette, where did you find the Goodyears?  I didn't think they brought in Corvette sizes.

Offline White88

• Four Barrel
Tyres for a C4
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 04:30:22 PM »
I run the new sumitomo's all round HTR II 275x40x17 , and found them very good alot better than the old pattern and not bad in price either, $290 each fitted.  Have a nice tread pattern as well.

Offline ozvette

• Four Barrel
Tyres for a C4
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 11:58:21 PM »
Not too much choice for 255/50/16 unfortunately.

You can have Sumitomos, or we can bring in the old crappy Goodyears on special order for a crapload of cash, or you can have Sumitomos......

You get the idea.

I like my Sumis though, traction is fine, I don't do much rain driving so I can't comment on that.

Noise is a heck of a lot better compared to the old style GY too.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Tyres for a C4
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 02:33:49 PM »
Thanks.  I just got some Falkens with reasonable tread last night so we'll see how long these last.  :b2

One last good burnout left in the old ones!!!!;46