Author Topic: Tyre Pressure Question  (Read 5711 times)

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
Tyre Pressure Question
« on: November 11, 2006, 03:15:48 PM »
Hi gang.

I'm running 245x60x15 Yokohama tyres on Priscilla.  What pressure should I run in them? ;42
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
Tyre Pressure Question
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 07:55:14 PM »
mmm...howwllon...ih ih.. ehh.. canna...... maaagit?
an.......howwllon is.....wish i knew.... a piece of string?
A great question Cam, one of my favourites, been askin' it all my short life long. And I reckon tyre pressure will get ya every time.
AND HERE IS MY BARKIN 2 CENTS;50
Round town, tyre pressure aint an issue. Include 120k/h stretchers(?) here. Unless ya bad with tyre pressure maintenance or over inflating (see owners manual), or crap tyres, most tyres are good.
I love a lil' maintenance, an as long ya steerin' geom is good, roun town, tyres will love life. an rotate;45
But if ya wanna have real time idle chit chat bout tyre pressure, talk to the guys in our club who race cars. What i mean is, if you want to go fast. And don't we love that. No matter how fast we think we are goin down the road, our favourite twistys, getin squirrilly outer corners and plantin it and hookin up(LSD will do that every time). I am sorry, on the street we are slow, blasting down a country road, we are slow. Well do a drivin course then head down your favourite road ( tear up your license here).
Here again on my high (higher an a kite) horse. No matter how fast you think you are, you know nuthin unless you have appreciated what others can teach you at a race track.
Love these Corvettes,
the original drunkin bum:luv

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
Tyre Pressure Question
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 08:11:00 PM »
Yeah....... but what tyre pressure?;39;39;39

What I don't want to happen is for me to over inflate and wear them out in the middle.  Obviously underinflate and I'll get a softer ride but handle like cr*p in the wet.

So I suppose I'm after a guide more than anything.

It has been a LOOOONG time since I've had wide rubber.

www.xcz.com.au

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
Tyre Pressure Question
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 08:26:00 PM »
35 to 38 pounds should be about correct.;42

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
Tyre Pressure Question
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 08:37:14 PM »
hey cam ,i just checked mine and i run the same size on the front but the rears are 265s and they both recomend 35psi,i allways put a little more in if i take a passenger on a long trip,i run bf goodrich ta s,hope that helps.............;42

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
Tyre Pressure Question
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 08:37:17 PM »
As Corvettes are reasonably good with their balance from front to rear. An i believe 52% Front : 48% Rear (Late C3s an C4s) could be wrong +/- a few %. As long the pressure is good all 4 tryes, and I think same pressure.
34psi would be a good start I reckon in Sydney. as Corvettes have huge tyres, there is  a lotta tyre to heat up. As I ramble on, keep an eye on the pressure you are starting at, get a pressure meter (its fun), look at how your tyres are wearing. This all changes at a race track, but is a good basis for slow ol' streeter stuff.
At the end of the day the racers amongst us will say it is a seat of the pants thang, you just gotta geta feel for these things. pressure is an a bloody beer an slu...dZ..hic;30

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
Tyre Pressure Question
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 08:41:58 PM »
hello dave:23:23:23haveing a drink,what pressure do trhe 91s runs..............;40;40;40

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
Tyre Pressure Question
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 09:05:14 PM »
When we were at Oran Park at Easter I ran 35psi, but ran pretty hard at them, you will prolly rember. when I talked to others at the track they reckoned what we run was too low. Remember how they seemed too go off, we never done a 360degree spin at the end of the main straight  when, I aDMIT YOU SAID i WAS SLOW. Ok once I threw my hands up to the roof and begged the ridin queens for forgiveness!!! but yeah, no 360, we pressed on....and atleast it was not the same time, when....several C4s a C2 managed to miss each other. A lot of spinning and we weaved thru to shchmelt nes lap at the very same corner. Yup we all ran too hoty into that corner, Mr Luff warned us of that.
Hey Cam, Tyre pressure is a moot point,  All even pressures, keep an eye on the presssures, love ur tyres, watch how they wear. Did I forget pressure?......
There once was a man from nan

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
Tyre Pressure Question
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 09:18:36 PM »
Your a racket Dave. ;laugh :drink

Many Thanks ;42

www.xcz.com.au

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
Tyre Pressure Question
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 09:27:48 PM »
Yeah do love it when i get ere, but always bent.. an gettin busted for haqvin too much fun.. Yaaarrrhooo. . Alotta good stuff on this site an a real good crew with a special mention to MADLT1 and Brutus;27

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
  • When a C3 is not Enough! - Try A C4
  • Mood: Get Jiggy Wit It
Tyre Pressure Question
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 10:27:26 PM »
Hey Cam,

I run 36psi to both front and rear tyres and she drives beautifully.

And even handles great and not too bumps given the gas shocks.

M;36
Live life to the fullest...drive a Corvette

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
Tyre Pressure Question
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 11:09:01 PM »
hi Cam
I run as low as 26lbs when i am going from sydney to melbourne
and I run 30lbs around town
Tyre pressure results are
Too much tyre pressure wears out in the centre of the tyre first
Too little and tyre pressure and it will wear on outer edges first
Make sure you don't confuse tyre scrubbing caused by incorrect wheel alignmant to tyre pressure
It is always recommend that you consult the tyre manufacture for tyre pressures letting them know of the type of vehicle and the vehicles mass weight.;42

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Tyre Pressure Question
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 11:36:27 AM »
For a previous thread on tyre pressures - Click here.

All tyres can safely handle more pressure than what is on the sidewall.  For track racing organisers will ALWAYS tell you to run at least 40psi.  This is mostly due to people not knowing what pressure is in their tyres and to avoid the tyre rolling off the rims in hard cornering (can happen esp with C3's high sidewall).

I always run a min of 32psi.