Author Topic: Power steering issue  (Read 7717 times)

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
Power steering issue
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 09:45:45 PM »
Thanks for all the good info/advice Chromie. ;42

For what it's worth, I had a fellow at Winton this weekend ask me about my PS noise as he had the same problem too!

Originally posted by Chromie

2/ Faulty power steering lines/fittings/hoses (meaning dags/sharp objects inside the line causing airation or sharp bends/calapsed hoses causing restrictiuon)

In my case Chromie, I am putting my money on option two.  The rack is likely coming out in the next month and all systems are going to be checked.  A new pump is also going to be purchased - just not sure if I am going OEM or reinventing the wheel yet...
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
Power steering issue
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 09:49:38 PM »
My choice would be "new"
I have fitted some remanufactured ones and some didn't even work  thus you test/bleed them in a bath of oil.
But mostly I have been successful with them
Racks do not cause problems so unless it is clunky/leaking oil or very old it is a waste
Hses on the other hand yep do them make sure that you make them yourself as most hose places stuff em up.;30

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
Power steering issue
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 10:03:11 PM »
Originally posted by Chromie
My choice would be "new"
I have fitted some remanufactured ones and some didn't even work  thus you test/bleed them in a bath of oil.
But mostly I have been successful with them
Racks do not cause problems so unless it is clunky/leaking oil or very old it is a waste
Hses on the other hand yep do them make sure that you make them yourself as most hose places stuff em up.;30

It was the rack supplied by the convertor of my car - hence why I don't have a problem going over it to make sure it is as it should be.

As for the pump, I will definitely buy new if they are available.

I'm glad you mentioned hose places stuffing them up - I thought it was just me having bad experiences.  I've never had a line done right first time round. :b4

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
Power steering issue
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006, 05:54:26 PM »
No offence chromie but I reckon the power steering system in a C4 is far superior and simpler than earlier models. Your knowledge is very good and I appreciate it. But, idler arms, pitman arms, & draglinks etc in days of old were very good and still are, but pretty complex stuff when compared to a steering rack system. Just look at the conversion on some C3s (and I hate saying this) the drag link is often fit at an angle that is wrong. It is pretty hard to muck up the conversion when a rack is used.
I do wonder if the rack on some C4s when converted to RHD is different to others. The rack installed in mine is from a buick and that is meant to be a secret!!;43
It all operates fine but has that dang nuisance noise that appears when a C4 is coming on song. Still ok, the corners keep coming, I installed louder rear mufflers and this has helped, but now I'm looking at 800watt subs!
VO sounds like ur on the job, please keep us posted!:drink

Offline Shane Finn

• Four Barrel
Power steering issue
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2006, 04:41:24 PM »
Some updates on my PS issues in the '01...

I drained and flushed the old fluid and replaced it with Royal Purple MAX Ez. I modified an old reservoir cap and with a MityVac made it into a PS vacuum bleeder. Did all the turning left/right with the wheels off the ground, engine running and then pulled a vacuum on the system as spec'd in the manual. The fluid level dropped about 200ml so in my case there was a substantial amount of air that couldn't be removed through the steering wheel.

PS pump was silent though and removed a slight high pitched whine that I had never been able to locate. BUT the car had steering shudder at moderate speeds up in both directions even though the groan when hot seemed to be gone.

SO, I pulled all the RP fluid out of the reservoir (didn't drain the whole system) then topped back up with Valvoline Synpower. Whine is back along with the hot groan but the shudder is gone.

I seem to be out of self help options and guess I need to start thinking about replacing the PS pump.

Chromie, what do you reckon?
2001 Z06, Torch Red

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Power steering issue
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2006, 04:54:19 PM »
.... Just look at the conversion on some C3s (and I hate saying this) the drag link is often fit at an angle that is wrong. ........

;51

And these people are supposed to be "engineers"!!  :b2

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
Power steering issue
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2006, 05:49:30 PM »
Hi ZEDohSIX
Be careful of what oils you use:mmm
I use TQ111 by castrol or anglomoil;43
Some oils can cause chaddering some can make the pump noisy especially oils that are thicker than the recommended type;53
If your pump was quiet before you flushed the oil I would suggest doing the flush again with the correct oil;35
If the pump has always been noisy the replace the pump;42

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
Power steering issue
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2006, 05:54:18 PM »
Hi77CVT
Yes unfortunatly some engineers/mechanics are more interested in a quik buck;50
rather than a good job and good reputation for good work:luv
Often a more expensive repair is a cheaper repair over time;35
Cheap repair fail easily or far earlier than an expensive repair;37
If a vehicle is repaired correctly it will have a very long life to the extent that it will not have to be done again thus it is a cheaper repair over time;29;29;29;29

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
Power steering issue
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2006, 05:54:25 PM »
Gyday 77CVT, did I see you on TV in one of those Tarmac Rallies? I was sure it was someone from the Queensland Corvette Club that was at Oran Park at Easter this year. I was v jealous when I saw the action on telly, and it looked unreal.
Bit of a mystery this power steering issue with some C4s and ZEDohSIX C5. I must admit I had given up and admitted defeat after dealing with many mechanics, engineers and "professionals". Not the first time, well not often I give up but have solved many a problem myself and/or with the help of like minded souls. chromie, a wealth of info and writes better than service manuals, with VO, ZEDohSIX on the job, this has gotta be good.
I have a couple of stories when dealing with engineers etc which have been developed into anecdotes(?) which are great at dinner parties (nasal tones here). But yeah, a good laugh. I would love to name names, but inappropriate(?). I gotta say tho mechanics, engineers etc often do their very best and cannot be expected to know everything.
Put it this way, electricians next to mechanics are natural born liars, cheats and scoundrels, some better than others, but as a rule, mostly ok. Dare I say it, I know this as I am an electrical fitter/mechanic!;42

Offline Shane Finn

• Four Barrel
Power steering issue
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2006, 06:30:12 PM »
Chromie,

The pump has been quiet for 4 years and started playing up on Saturday at the Leadfoot Challenge. I drove hard all day on the Friday at the open practice day without any issue.

The problem I started with is the pump groaning after moderate load (1.5 laps of Winton). It quiets down when it cools down. I checked the fluid and apart from being a dirty brown colour it had a permanent froth. That's what started me with the fluid change.

These things have to fail at some time and mine might have been Friday.

Does anyone know if the C5 PS pump is common with something sold in Australia or do I need to import one?
2001 Z06, Torch Red

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Power steering issue
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2006, 09:42:59 AM »
Gday 77CVT, did I see you on TV in one of those Tarmac Rallies? I was sure it was someone from the Queensland Corvette Club that was at Oran Park at Easter this year. I was v jealous when I saw the action on telly, and it looked unreal.

I was on telly???  I gave it a good run but was worried I'd have no brakes so I only went at 75%.  I'd love to see the video of the weekend!!

Cheers

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
Power steering issue
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2006, 07:11:09 PM »
Can not remember the tv station it was on, I reckon you should enquire with who organised it. The footage was mostly other cars but I did go off when I spotted a Corvette. From memory the times were not to far off the top. At the time of viewing I assured everyone thavettewoodawun-;50yacahns

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
Power steering issue
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2007, 09:59:46 PM »
So VO, Zedohsix, did you get to the bottom of this? Was it the type of oil used, the pump, the lines or maybe all of them? Mine also suffered from the dreaded "track day whine" and as i'm in the process of re-installing my steering pump and accessories, i'm curious to know how you guys went with this.

;54
NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline Shane Finn

• Four Barrel
Power steering issue
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2007, 08:25:43 PM »
I sorted my issues with a replacement of the fluid back to as close as I could get to original specs with available fluids. While I had things apart I fixed a weeping hose which had been annoying me.

In the end I used RedLine fluid and have donated the RP to some of my fellow Vetters to see if it was any use to them.
2001 Z06, Torch Red

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
Power steering issue
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2007, 10:03:26 PM »
Originally posted by MADVET
So VO, Zedohsix, did you get to the bottom of this? Was it the type of oil used, the pump, the lines or maybe all of them? Mine also suffered from the dreaded "track day whine" and as i'm in the process of re-installing my steering pump and accessories, i'm curious to know how you guys went with this.

;54

Good timing MADVET, I was thinking about bouncing this today.

My car has spent alot of down time off the road since November for various reasons, largely due to a power steering leak and llack of time to fix it.  Last night I finally resolved the leaky line issue and am yet to see if the changes to the system I have made have made any difference when putting the system under load with spirited driving.

As it stands today my system is just about bled now - no solutions but it looks like we're closer.  There are a few other people doing their own homework at the same time and I also have a few other changes that I'll look into if the noise persists, I'll keep you guys posted of what I find.

(FYI at the moment I am thinking the issue in my case is either the pump or the lines still)

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
Power steering issue
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2007, 06:11:01 PM »
Thanks guys, i might give that redline stuff a go myself. I'll report back on how it goes after the next track day.

;42
NOW WE'RE TORQUING!