Author Topic: Is it the Battery or something else...?  (Read 2815 times)

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
Is it the Battery or something else...?
« on: August 10, 2006, 01:40:25 AM »
Hi Guys,

Need your opinion on that one...Lately i have been having few problems starting my car and not sure what  it is exactly however I will do my best to describe it.

Please note that the battery is 9 months old

While i was overseas for over a month, my car was not driven for that time,so upon my return i started the car and i did not have any problems...it started straight away!

In the last two weeks my car was not driven due to some work commitments and bad weather, so i have decided to take the vette out for a spin last week-end...next thing i know i could not start my car! the battery was all dead. Luckily i had my battery booster on baord so i have managed to start it.

Took it for a 40 min drive and then parked it. So i have decided to start the car afterwards and again no response, the car would not start.

The next day, i started the car with the booster and i took it for a long drive aprroxiamtely 80 min...took it back home, parked it and i tried to restart the car, I had no problem it started straight away, gave it another ago (on and off) but this time it was really struggling and eventualy the third time I could tell that it was dying bit by bit.

NOW i am totally puzzled, i left the car while i was overseas for nearly 47 days and it started right away...and now leaving it for 2 weeks , can not manage to start it....

what could it  possibly be?  

starter motor? Battery? (but it is only 9 month old)

Something is drawing power from the battery?
I will take it to some auto electrician to check it out but i am bit curious whether someone had a similar problem

thanks

;42

Oh spoken to one of our member in our club and he suggested could may be the starter motor that needs to be rebuilt...but then again if that is the problem why would not i have power at least for my windows or to the ignition?

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
  • When a C3 is not Enough! - Try A C4
  • Mood: Get Jiggy Wit It
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 07:48:21 AM »
Hey Joe,

Don't forget that night of the firebird/camaro run out west, when you took your baby big for a drive and then at the carpark it just stopped.. and wouldnt start for a while.

I think the battery has a dead cell....  ask the auto electrician to check the battery.

M;36
Live life to the fullest...drive a Corvette

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 04:21:00 PM »
Hey 69vette...thanks for your tip. Cameron was the man again i have to admit that he just know his stuff too well...Anyway he did bit of testing, for a start we thought something was drawing too much current from the battery but we forgot that both doors were open before performing this test, so the reading was like 0.65 A (correct me if i wrong Cam), after we closed the doors, evrything was normal.

But Cameron picked the problem right away he found that the cables were bit loose eventhough they were attached to the battery and making contact but for some reason Cam reckon that would make a difference and i have to admit that evrything was back to normal.

Again Thanks Cameron, I really appreciate your help mate ;35

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 04:43:46 PM »
No problems Joe.  A loose connectionons both main active and main earth.  Battery voltage static 12.5.

Joe the best analogy I can give you with the connections at the battery is for you to picture in your mind that they are hose connections on taps.  Loose connection, you still get water pressure but not full pressure.  Same goes for electrical connections.

Thanks heaps for the lunch ya bought with ya.  Seafood salad with lobster.  Yummo!

We might have even got ouselfs a new member.  Some going past saw the vettes droped in and introduced himself.  He's buying a vette so after to yapping to us thought he might drop into the club one night and say Hi.

This is what its all about.  People getting together to help each other out, meeting new people, good food and great company.  ;42
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au