Author Topic: Convention 2006 Reflections........read your Hat  (Read 23536 times)

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
    • http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/brutus
Convention 2006 Reflections........read your Hat
« on: April 17, 2006, 08:56:48 AM »
Well what did everyone think? We had a great 18th National Corvette Convention even tho my time there was limited due to work constraints. The weather was as perfect as anyone could have ever hoped for and the cars were exceptional.
Well done Garry and the Convention Comittee ....take a well deserved bow.
BOB

THE C3 SHARK TANK - The best, first, and oldest site for owners of 1968 to 1982 Corvettes

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
Re: Convention 2006 Reflections........read your Hat
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 03:01:12 PM »
;35 We agree with you Brutus re the "convection". We had a great time as well and thank the committee but would particularly like to thank Tracy, Brian & Michelle S & Wayne R who were very helpful to us over the  weekend. (just our 2 pesos worth).;laugh;laugh
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline johnny86convert

• Four Barrel
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 06:15:50 PM »
Friday  meet  & Greet  was  great,Room(accomodation  was  great)  good,Food  all  weekend  was  great,Show & Shine  on  Saturday  was  good,Needed a  Coffee  machine  and  Barrista  and  snacks   etc  could  have  made  the  club a  motsa.Show  &  Shine  is  always  too  long,should  be  shut  down  at  2/3  P.M.  judging  times  allowable.Don't  forget  most  of  the  vettesters  have  arrived  friday  washed  cleaned  the  cars   raced  off  to  the  meet  and  greet  had a  late  night  up  at  6.00  for a  drive  in  the  show  area  by  9.00  at  the  latest,walked  around  all  day  and  I  think  it  would  be  good  to  give  them  a  breather  sat  arvo.Drag  day  was  great,shame  we  had  to  Split  the  convention  at  TWO  Locations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  lost  some  shine  for  me.Sunday  night  dinner  was  fun,liked  that  they  split  the  awards  between  two  nights,kept  the  ceremonies  short,liked  the  Band  on  sunday  nite.As  this  is an  honest  opinion  of  the  weekend as a  member  and  also  knowing  the  pressure  put  on  the  organisers I  must  say  I  did  not  appreciate  the  comment  in  front  of  all  the  other  state  convention  participents  of"  Its  ok  being  President  if  you  can  handle  the  wingers!!!!!!!"I  thought  really  hard  about  bringing  this  up,but  theres  always  been a  tradition  I  think  at  conventions  to  keep  our  dirty  laundry  inhouse,I've  been  to  nearly  everyone  since  95  so  I'm  not  talking  out  of  school.All  in  all  hats  off  to a  really  great  effort  to  all  who  attended  and  did  so  in a  great  spirit  seeya  on  the  Gold  Coast  next  year.

Offline MrPersistent

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 08:09:08 PM »
good one johnny (im not a whinger i have an opinion )

Miss Daisy[/size]

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 09:09:59 PM »
G'day lads.  We had a blast.  I've just spent all today editing all 600 odd pics.  Got it down to 540 odd.  Also have a small video of the drags.

I'll be sending all 5 CD's of pics to Peter P for uploading to the web site.  And I'll see what I can do about getting the video up.

Later this week I'll pick a select few pics and have another go at one of my picture tales on the event as I did with Bella Vista.

Catch ya's later.;42

Cam
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline MJ427

• Tri Powered
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 09:34:44 PM »
cant wait to see cam;46

Offline ozvette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 09:44:52 PM »
I'd post my honest opinion, but I guess that would make me a whinger....

Offline johnny86convert

• Four Barrel
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 08:05:29 AM »
ozvette,  post  it,these  posts  could  be  read  by  organisers who  will  be  putting  on a  convention  in  the  future so  they  will  learn  from  past  conventions  and  make  theres  better,and  thats  ok  mate .N.s.w  learnt  from  the  last  one  in  Melb  as  queensland  will  learn  from  the  N.S.W.  one  and  so  on.Constructive  critisism I  think  is  always  welcome as  oposed  to  someone  just  going  off  and  complaining  without  any  thought  of a  remedy  for  the  problem,thats  where  the  word  whinger is  banied  about TOOOOO  much.  getting  of  the  soap  box now.

Offline ozvette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 08:34:29 AM »
Other than what I am going to post, I thought it was great.

I agree about the show & shine, it needed food stands, I had to go back to the hotel to eat, and I wasn't comfortable leaving my car where I couldn't see it. (I knew nothing would happen but you know what it's like).
The actual location was pretty, but it didn't seem like a lot of public went through it or knew anything was even on.

I disliked having EVERY meal in the same setting, that became boring real fast.

There was too little communication with the actual entrants, a big thing was that we didn't get any form of itinerary with the showbag (yes I know we were sent one in the mail, but seeing things were changing right up until the event, it would have been nice to have a simple sheet saying: If doing X, please be at location ABC at 8:00am for a 8:30 departure. Simple information, but we weren't sure what was going on until the night before).

That's about it really. Just minor stuff, but it did sour my overall experience.

Offline jdunne

• Four Barrel
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 08:59:15 AM »
I had a hot time at the convection.....more fun than a mature age person is entitled to whilst keeping his pants on...john;28

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
    • www.invisiblecarbras.com.au
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 09:10:47 AM »
Garry did a very good job as the face of the "convection" but the whinger comment did sour it for a lot of people. Keep it positive, no matter what.
More information at the meet and greet briefing, we really did not know when and where we we were meant to be until the night before or when we read the board. Maybe the board should have been in the hotel lobby which everyone could have checked on the way past instead of having to go to the mezzanine.
Possibly a mailout the week before confirming all the details would have settled a lot of people as well.

I did not mind having the meals in the same room but I had to look at the notice board to find out when. Food was good overall. Maybe a theme to differentiate the nights more.

As a sponsor of the Convention, I know of some of the difficulties the committee had coming up to the last weeks. Unfortunately there had to be some changes and these need to be communicated to the participants, to make them feel they are part of the event and not just sheep to herded around to each event. This Forum is good but it is not the only place to post updates. There are some Corvette owners who still do not have a computer. If I had not joined before the Convention I wouldn't have known about the changes to driving events.

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 09:17:50 AM »
Oh, and the forum get together was organised too late. I was travelling from Wednesday and did not have internet access until I got home. Didn't find out about Krispy Kremes until late Monday night. I would have liked to catch up with Brutus (amongst others)who I know from another forum and checked out his car. It's good to be able to put a face to a name.
;37;37

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 09:24:29 AM »
Oh, and the venue needs to be chosen based on being able to drink in the car park. I felt a lot of the commeraderie was lost during the washing of the cars without a social lubricant.
;42;42

Offline stingray

• Four Barrel
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 10:02:59 AM »
iN ANSWER TO A FEW COMMENTS . NO COFFEE MACHINES OR FOOD STALLS WERE ALLOWED AT OUR SHOW AND SHINE BY THE CLUB.

I'M SORRY THAT YOU DIDN'T LIKE THE SAME ROOM FOR THE THREE NIGHTS. IT WAS PUT ON LIKE THIS SO THIS SO THAT IT WOULD ALL RUN SMOOTHLY WITH NO  PROBLEMS. WE DID NOT WANT WHAT HAPPENED IN MELBOURNE WITH 1 BBQ  COOKING FOR 200 PLUS PEOPLE AND OTHER PEOPLE HEADING OFF INTO TOWN JUST TO GET A FEED, AND  ALSO THE SICKNESS FROM THE FISH ON THE SATURDAY EVENING.  

I ALSO HOPE THAT IT WASN'T A PROBLEM FOR THE HOLIDAY INN ORGANISING A DIFFERENT ROOM EACH NIGHT FOR YOU .
THE WHITE BOARD HAD TO STAY UPSTAIRS THIS WAS CLUB RULES.

AS TO HAVING TO LEAVE YOUR CAR TO PURCHASE FOOD OR DRINKS . AND YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT YOUR CAR YOU JUST ASK YOUR FELLOW MEMBER NEXT TO YOU TO WATCH YOUR CAR FOR SHORT TIME.

IF YOU COULD NOT GET IMFORMATION ENOUGH FROM THE BOARD AS TO WHAT WAS ON THE NEXT DAY, AS OF ANY OTHER CONVENTION ,THAT IS WHAT THE "CONVENTION COMMITTEE" IS FOR.

AS FOR HAVING A DRINK WHILST WASHING YOUR CARS WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE, IT IS NO DRINKING IN THAT AREA BUT YOU COULD HAVE AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE JUST ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE "WE JUST CAN"T HAVE EVERY THING "

AS FOR THE "CONVECTION" WORD ON THE REAR OF THE CAPS IT WAS A MISPRINT AT TIME OF EMBROIDERY AND WAS NOT PICKED UP UNTIL  THE WEEK OF THE CONVENTION  ,AND AS THEY WERE ENBROIDED OVERSEAS IF THEY WERE SENT BACK TO BE CHANGED WE WOULD NOT HAVE HAD THEM BACK IN TIME. NO FAULT OF THE COMMITTEE. SO GIVE  UP ON IT THANKS.

IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS OR QUERIES PLEASE RING ME ON 0418252512 ALAN DURES ,
BUT YOU MUST RING BEFORE THE NEXT GENERAL MEETING TUESDAY MAY 2ND.

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 10:35:16 AM »
I still had lots of fun! Even though there was some hick ups. The People make the Convention, I'm just sorry I couldnt chat to everyone! But did meet some great people from round the country! Sorry if we got a bit rowdy at times but YEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA!
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline ozvette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 11:06:08 AM »
Originally posted by stingray

I ALSO HOPE THAT IT WASN'T A PROBLEM FOR THE HOLIDAY INN ORGANISING A DIFFERENT ROOM EACH NIGHT FOR YOU .

You know what, I was just being honest and trying to offer my impressions. Like I said, other than a couple of minor things I was very happy with my experience. If you want to take it personally and have a go at me, well, you know where you can put your snide comment.

Have a nice day.

Offline stingray

• Four Barrel
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 11:24:57 AM »
AS TO THE ANSWERS TO THE COMMENTS....

I ANSWERED THE COMMENTS TO LET PEOPLE KNOW WHY THIS WAS DONE AND THAT WAS  DONE AT THE CONVENTION. I ASSUMED THAT YOU MAY HAVE WANTED ANSWERS TO THESE ISSUES OTHER WISE THER WAS NO REASON TO POST THE NEGATIVE SIDE OF THING UNLESS YOU WANTED ANSWERS. THAT'S THE WAY I LOOKED AT IT.

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2006, 11:27:26 AM »

AS FOR THE "CONVECTION" WORD ON THE REAR OF THE CAPS IT WAS A MISPRINT AT TIME OF EMBROIDERY AND WAS NOT PICKED UP UNTIL  THE WEEK OF THE CONVENTION  ,AND AS THEY WERE ENBROIDED OVERSEAS IF THEY WERE SENT BACK TO BE CHANGED WE WOULD NOT HAVE HAD THEM BACK IN TIME. NO FAULT OF THE COMMITTEE. SO GIVE  UP ON IT THANKS.

no one is blaming the committee Mr. Stingray...The person who approved the art work before the print must be the responsible. by the way NOONE ASKED WHO IS THE RESPONSIBLE AND NOONE BLAMED THE COMITTEE

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 11:30:01 AM »
AS TO THE ANSWERS TO THE COMMENTS....

I ANSWERED THE COMMENTS TO LET PEOPLE KNOW WHY THIS WAS DONE AND THAT WAS  DONE AT THE CONVENTION. I ASSUMED THAT YOU MAY HAVE WANTED ANSWERS TO THESE ISSUES OTHER WISE THER WAS NO REASON TO POST THE NEGATIVE SIDE OF THING UNLESS YOU WANTED ANSWERS. THAT'S THE WAY I LOOKED AT IT.

YOU LOOK AT IT AT THE WRONG WAY....IT IS CALLED FEEDBACK

YOU ARE ONE OF THE LEADERS AND YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY DIFFICULTY DEALING WITH FEEDBACK BECAUSE IF YOU DONT KNOW IT, FEEBACKS ARE CONSIDERED TO BE SOLUTIONS FOR FUTURE EVENTS.

THATS THE WAY I LOOK AT IT

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2006, 11:44:13 AM »
Well for a start let me say that this is my first convention and it is definitevly not the last one.

One thing we all have to be aware is : organising such a big event like the convention is not an easy task at all...

The venue itself (panthers)was great location, convenient and pleasant.

No complaint about the food, great service and relatively cheap drinks.

show and shine was great but bit too long ( agreeing with jhonny) however in my opinion it would have been great if it was held at where we parked the cars night time becuase it would have drawn more people travelling on Mulgoa road and of course the location of krispy cream and Mc donalds would have contibuted an excellent exposure to the show…but I am sure that there is a good reason why it was held on that big oval!

AS WHAT IT WAS SAID THAT NIGHT ABOUT SOME MEMBERS, CALLING THEM WHINGERS...YOU D BETTER ADD THIS POST TO YOUR FAVOURITE AS I AM IN THE PROCESS TO FINALISE MY POST....STAY TUNED

NB: THE WHINGING SUBJECT WILL BE POSTED SEPARETLY AND INDEPENDTELY FROM THIS TOPIC...SO PLEASE BE PATIENT FOR THE POST. IN THE MEAN TIME PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE YOUR THOUGTHS IN REGARDS TO THE CONVENTION