Author Topic: LIGENFELTER. Educate Me............  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
LIGENFELTER. Educate Me............
« on: April 08, 2006, 08:57:14 PM »
............What, Who, When and Where are they? I've had up my C3's rear end for so long I've lost touch.  Not that I was ever in touch. ;39

To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 09:12:58 PM »
;33..cam,lingenfelter is another recognised gm tuner for corvette the same as callaway....there are a few more but i cant think off the top of my head right away...im sure you will get more detailed feedback on this tuner....:D;54

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 09:13:02 PM »
http://www.lingenfelter.com/legend.htm

I've was a fan of John Lingenfelter and the cars he made from the first time I read about him prepping an 8.9liter Cmaro for a top speed shootout in the late eighties - he was also the man at the wheel of the famous Callaway "Sledgehammer" when it hit 254.75mph at TRC in ohio in the late eighties (1988?).

Short version - John Lingenfelter was an engineer who built a reputation whilst drag racing and building motors for his racecars, this turned into a race motor business that started to do street motors.

The short version, LPE vehicles are known for making big power reliably.

When John Lingenfelter was around he built some awesome cars - like the 540CID Chevrolet suburban that do 0-60mph in 4.8seconds, the 217mph 427 Car & Driver 427 1995 Corvette, one of (if not the first twin turbo C5's (of which the 650hp version was capable of 226mph), around the time of his death his company got a C5 427 twin turbo into the 8's (bear in mind this car was streetable, had air-con and could be driven to wokr...

How's that?
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 09:19:08 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lingenfelter

John Lingenfelter
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

John Lingenfelter was an NHRA driver, engineer and legendary tuner.

Born in Freedom, Pennsylvania on October 6, 1945 Died in Decatur, Indiana on December 25, 2002

Over his distinguished career, Lingenfelter won 13 career national event events in Competition Eliminator and was the first driver in the class to break the six-second quarter-mile barrier. He finished second in the Pro Stock Truck standings in 1998, which was the first year of competition for the now defunct class. At a career-best E.T. of 7.08 seconds, his Cavalier was once considered the world's quickest four-cylinder drag racing veheicle.

Also, he was the owner of Lingenfelter Performance Engineering (LPE for short) in Decatur, IN. LPE is a shop specializing in the modification of GM vehicles such as the F-Bodies (Camaro,Firebird), B Bodies (Impala SS, Caprice, Roadmaster, Fleetwood), Corvette, CTS-V, GTO, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Escalade, Denali, SSR, Hummer H2, and Sierra. The shop also worked with tuning packages for the Dodge Viper and Plymouth Prowler.

In the press, his tuned vehicles were reported to have as much civility as the stock vehicles upon which they were based in everyday driving. However, these vehicles were brutally fast. Motor Trend tested a Tahoe tuned by Lingenfelter and achieved a 5.1 second 0-60 time as well as a .9 lateral acceleration figure. These numbers match the performance figures of the C4 Corvette and GMC Syclones/Typhoons of that era. This Tahoe had its 350cu.in. V8 bored to 396cu.in., making 500 hp and still retaining its 4WD drivetrain. Motor Trend also tested a Lingenfelter built Impala SS that had the same performance numbers as the last generation M5 (0-60 4.7 sec)due to its bored and stroked LT-1 (Displacement rose to 383cu.in. and HP rose to 440)[1]. Another vehicle built by Lingenfelter was also featured in Car and Driver when they built a special C4 Corvette with a 427cu.in. engine that attained a top speed of 212 mph[2]. Currently, the most powerful vehicle they have in their stable is a twin turbo Corvette with well over 800 hp.

He was critically injured during an NHRA Summit Sports Compact drag racing event at Pomona, California on October 27, 2002. He passed away Thursday December 25 at Adams County Memorial Hospital in Decatur, Indiana at age 58.

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 09:24:44 PM »
Excerpt from the following link:

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/who_is_john_lingenfelter.html

Who Was John Lingenfelter?

John Lingenfelter has been building, racing, and winning with small-block Chevy engines since 1972, when he arrived on the drag racing scene by winning the Super Stock Eliminator class at the U.S. Nationals.  Since that time, he's been a frequent visitor to the winner's circle, building and driving winning Super Stock race cars to capture 13 national tittles.  His success created a state-of-the-art engine building facility, Lingenfelter Performance Engineering.  Many of today's top drag racers run a Lingenfelter-built engine, and, since 1984, he's been building high performance engines for the street.

John Lingenfelter's passion for speed really kicked in with the introduction of Tuned Port Injection on the Corvette in 1985.  A procession of progressively faster and faster Corvettes began to occupy his garage as John began to dig into the secrets of this 'electronic small block'.  Soon, his TPI 383 stroker small blocks were not only emissions legal, but could put a C4 Corvette into the low 13s / high 12s with just an engine swap.  At the same time, John Lingenfelter began to realize the limitations of the stock TPI system, and its inability to feed larger displacement engines.  His research on this subject led him to redesign the TPI system from the ground up.   Lingenfelter started with a clean sheet of paper, and totally redesigned the intake manifold, intake runners, and plenum.  His more box-like induction system was a success.  Where normal TPI motors ran out of steam at 4800rpm, the new JL-1 intake system pulled to 6000rpm and even higher.  Later, the system would come to be known as the "Super Ram".  John Lingenfelter began to grind camshafts for this Super Ram intake, the result of the matched cam and intake packages was port fuel injected power where no TPI system ever dreamed of existing.

Lingenfelter  collaborated with Reeves Calloway in 1988 to produce the engine for the Calloway "Sledgehammer" Corvette project.  Under the wrench of John Lingenfelter, the 355cid twin turbocharged small block Chevy that was the heart of the Sledgehammer Corvette produced over 900 horsepower.  After the engine was tuned, the car was driven from Calloway's shop in Connecticut to the Transportation Research Center, a 7.5 mile oval in East Liberty, Ohio.  Here, a top speed test of the Sledgehammer netted an astounding 254.76mph in 5th gear.  As a testament to the durability of one of John Lingenfelter's mills, the car was then driven from the track back to Calloway's garage.

In 1989, John's greatest attempt at top speed began on the Bonneville Salt Flats.  There, taking a '89 Firebird Trans-Am, whose aerodynamics he thought were superior to the 'Vette's, he managed to drop in a twin turbocharged 355cid small-block that was making an astounding 1400 horsepower!   John's goal?  300mph!   To this lofty end, John rigged up a set of six(!) nitrous bottles in the rear hatch area of the Firebird.  These nitrous bottles injected their charge not into the engine, but into the intercoolers for the two turbos, using the super cold gas as a cooling medium in the air to air capacity.  The result was that the turbochargers outlet air temperature dropped radically, far more than would have been possible using just normal atmospheric air.  This did some pretty incredible things to the horsepower output of the engine.  His first run in the car netted a 298mph top speed.   A second run managed only 293mph.  Soon problems started to plague the Bonneville trip, and with a mounting costs and no sponsorship, Lingenfelter had to settle for going 298mph, just 2mph shy of his 300mph goal.  In true John Lingenfelter style, despite attaining what no other normal man could hope to accomplish, he wasn't satisfied and thought that the car could have gone faster...  That is an example of the driving force behind what motivates John Lingenfelter.

In 1990, John Lingenfelter configured his red '86 Vette with full safety options and dropped a carefully prepared 408cid small-block that produced 540 horsepower at an unheard of 5400rpm.  He completed this car and entered it in the Nevada Silver State Classic top speed contest.  Despite melting both the TH700-R4 and the Gear Venders Overdrive unit,, John's 'Vette managed to post a 157mph average for the 93 mile course while maintaining a speed of over 206mph for over five minutes.   Placing 3rd overall, John was again very disappointed.  He thought the car should have gone much faster...!

From all of these experiences, and many more not shared, John Lingenfelter has accumulated a tremendous knowledge of engine mechanics and he uses that knowledge on every engine that leaves his shop.  Lingenfelter Performance Engineering has built engines for circle track cars, many drag racing classes, motor homes, off-road trucks, national champion SCCA autocross racers, and even powerplants for ambulances and law enforcement vehicles!  Taking these experiences as a whole, there are few small-block performance paths that John Lingenfelter has not tested, tried, and bested in the past 20 years.   It is this on-going experience and John's ceaseless quest to continually improve existing power levels of the high performance small block street Chevy that inspires so many others to reach a little further, work a little harder, and go a little faster.

I may have gone a little overboard with the linkage - but I was a huge fan, so to speak.

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 09:31:14 PM »
Bloody hell.  I said educate me.  Not give me a masters degree. ;39

Thanks.  I've got some reading to do. :22

www.xcz.com.au

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 09:32:57 PM »
Originally posted by Cameron 77C3
Bloody hell.  I said educate me.  Not give me a masters degree. ;39

Thanks.  I've got some reading to do. :22

I've got his book if you want... ;41

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 09:34:49 PM »
I'll get back to ya on that one.  Thanks

www.xcz.com.au

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 10:22:07 PM »
:v...i told you that you would get more detailed info...dident i...:v

Offline TRJ

• Four Barrel
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 12:30:43 AM »
Cam, so much is written about John Lingenfelter and his legendary racing, and engine building magic, that if you just "search" his name, you will come up with all kinds of information, which I'm sure you will enjoy.

The dragster that he crashed in was a 6 second 1/4 mile car....a 4 cylinder Chevrolet Cavalier.  The crash occured at approx. 190 mph.  Tragically, the crash is not what caused his death, but a very serious reaction to medication given to him prior to a planned surgery.  His business still flourishes to this day in Decatur, Indiana, and his methods of engine building are still being carried out, and are widely sought after.  His loss is a real tragedy.