Author Topic: Corvette Club Plate Commentary in April Newsletter  (Read 6382 times)

Offline FLY GRL

Corvette Club Plate Commentary in April Newsletter
« on: April 07, 2006, 10:32:01 PM »
I would like to offer my thoughts after reading the President's Report in my April Newsletter ... "The most disappointing part of the day was not having one of the cars that are registered on club rego turn up this is what this $80 a year rego is for to promote club shows & events my thoughts are, do we need this in our club when we never see any of these cars. I would be interested in your thoughts at the May meeting."

I was dismayed after reading this comment.

My partner and I have one car on Club Plate rego and one on full road rego.  We have been members of the Corvette Club for 12 and 6 years respectively and used to turn up to most events.  I am really disappointed that after 18 collective years of membership fees, and prior to getting Club Plate rego on one car a year and a half ago, paying full road rego for both of our cars for all that time, that we have to justify how, where and when we choose to use our Corvettes to people out there who feel it is any of their business.  We chose to put our older Corvette on Club Plate rego because we weren’t driving it much.  

While we did not take our car to the Bella Vista Show this year, we did turn up.  As to the comment that these cars are never seen, I would like to point out that we took both our Corvettes to Bella Vista Show last year, in fact we have only missed our Annual Show and Shine once in it’s history and on that occasion we did turn up, just not with our Corvettes (as they were off the road).

I personally recall seeing all of these cars at some point over the years, and without exception they are cars that are rare and exhibit the highest caliber of excellence.
Do we really want these members to join other clubs?  Is our Club so financial that we can afford to upset these members?  Do we want them to go to the Chev Club or other Corvette Clubs to get their Club Plates?

Why is it that the 16 odd members on Club Plate rego are being persecuted for not bringing their cars, when there are 200 non-Club Plate rego cars that did not turn up … surely this a matter of much greater concern.

… do we need this in our club … Well the Club Plate Registration service that is offered to all members of this Club, cost nothing to establish, requires no ongoing financial commitment to maintain it, and is administered by a volunteer (myself).  It is a service that may be of financial benefit to many members, and a service that may induce others to become financial members of our Club – why get rid of it?

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 08:13:31 AM »
;33...for my 2 cents worth i have no problem with the club rego....i say lets keep it there...;51

Offline The White Knight

• Four Barrel
    • www.amcca.com.au
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 02:33:29 PM »
To answer your question I was asked by about 3 / 4 members the question where were the club rego plate cars at our clubs show & shine. So as a President I said I would bring it up which I did. These plates were designed for people that only used their cars for shows & club runs so as not to waste money on full rego when their cars are only used a few times a year.
 Please don't forget we live in a free speech country where people can ask questions & not be worried about being put in front of a firing line.
 Even one member with club plates at the end of the meeting said he could see my point of view. DON'T FORGET I WAS ASKED THE QUESTION & I followed it up the same as if anyone asks a question I will always follow it up & get an answer. So I have gone back & told the members that asked the question & I have given them the answers that I was told on the meeting night. The main reason was the weather.
:D Garry ;30

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 07:37:57 PM »
Well for a start i have not been in the club for a long time and have not either have Historic plate but please permit me to comment on it.

The question is the following: If the club is not paying anything for the historic plates or if it is not causing any inconcovenience...so why raising the followng question:

do we need this in our club (Historic Plates) ?

Why raise the question?
what are the intentions behind it?
How does the club get benefited from doing such action while memebers are getting a benefit from it?

I guess it does not hurt to ask these questions....and also does not hurt to get some replies as well

oh garry by the way....as per your phone call on 28/03/2006 8.45pm, you have mentioned to me whether i could supply some coffees for the show bags....i have the pleasure to announce you that i am capable of supplying the following: 150 pieces X250grams of ground coffee retailed @ $12.00......all that just for the satisfaction of my fellow memebers NSW corvettes club

:D

Offline BrianVette

• Four Barrel
  • Treasurer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 07:37:25 PM »
Lets us not forget that the liability if the plate scheme is not correctly administered falls directly on the club, so if people ask questions about peoples use the President should at least ask the question raised by others to ensure all is being done correctly so to not leave us liable to the RTA . So discussion is sometimes a good idea for the benefit of the club ( I think anyway ) just my 2 cents

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 08:19:40 PM »
Originally posted by BrianVette
Lets us not forget that the liability if the plate scheme is not correctly administered falls directly on the club, so if people ask questions about peoples use the President should at least ask the question raised by others to ensure all is being done correctly so to not leave us liable to the RTA . So discussion is sometimes a good idea for the benefit of the club ( I think anyway ) just my 2 cents

Brianvette....Liability is not a strong argument at all mate!!! because liability apply to every activity the NSW corvettes Club clun enters into.

Let us say one of themembers of the NSW Corvette club on this forum post something that is copyrighted and belongs to another organisation....Have you ever wondered what will happen? ....

it will falls directly on the club

In this case we may be should raise the following question:

Do we need the forum?....just my 2 cents

Offline FLY GRL

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 11:18:33 PM »
Hi There,

I do not want you to feel as though you have been put in the firing line simply for asking the question.  This issue has been voiced by you and a couple of other members in the past on several occasions.  On this occasion you asked for feedback, and just as you and others have voiced your opinions, I have only presented mine.  I do not want to continue to ‘fire away’, but rather would prefer to settle the matter once and for all through candid discussion, by addressing the issues I feel are at the heart of the objections.

I think the people who take issue with these cars do not fully understand the inherent values of the operation of this system.  The NSW RTA who administers the scheme states the aim of the Historic Vehicle Scheme as being to promote and encourage the restoration and preservation of motor vehicles that are 30 years of age or older.  The emphasis is not that these vehicles should be attending club events, but rather that these vehicles can only be used at club events.  The reason this registration is so cheap is reflected by the restrictions on their use.  Bear in mind also, some of the cars on Club Plate registration are nearly 50 years old - we have one car that is 52 years of age!!!  Would you drive a 50 year old car every day???  Such cars are extremely rare, costly, and replacement parts are difficult if not impossible to obtain.  What sort of a club are we if we demand their attendance? Surely such demands do not reflect our true spirit as car enthusiasts.

In reply to BrianVette, I would first like to assure you that we maintain all the necessary records as required by the Historic Plate scheme, but I share your concern, and it is for this very reason that I object to the pressure that has been placed on the owners of these classic cars to drive them more often.  

I welcome anyone who has any objection to Club Plate registration to contact me, either by phone, in person or e-mail, or if they prefer to remain anonymous over the forum, and discuss their reasons for this.

Bye for now

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
  • When a C3 is not Enough! - Try A C4
  • Mood: Get Jiggy Wit It
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 07:54:02 AM »
Hello to all on this forum,

Whilst its healthy to discuss matters of the heart, Im reading the above comments raise on this thread, with regards to the historic plates and something is not right.

I was also at the club meeting when the matter of the club heritage plates was raised, and i feel that there has been a misunderstanding on what i think the real heart of the matter is.

Alot was said on the night, and i fully support the members in their argument, and also feel its every corvette owners perogative to take out their vehicle when they feel its the appropriate time.

But, here is my own understanding of what happened on the night ( in lay mans terms) , , or what i think was really meant when the topic was raised.. and i mean no disrespect to any members:

1.Our club president raised the matter as a result of public scrutiny.
2.The matter was placed in our club magazine. For better or for worst, the matter was raised, maybe not translated clearly.
3.What i felt is the heart of the matter (and i did say i felt ), was that this event and like others like these events organised by our club are to encourage/assist owners who have club plates to bring their vehciles out. Otherwise, cars tend to not get driven and there is less opportunities to bring out your cars.
4.Even though there was a healthy and heated discussion on the nite(heck im greek were use to this), I feel it was not an attack on club plates owners, though it went down that track. It was purley an observation.
5.Our president ( i feel) was commenting that this was a great opportunity to bring out your vehcle ( referring to club registered vehicles) and that the turn out was not as good as it should have.

Yes, its easy to blame some one else (heck lets blame god! whilst were at it for the rainy weather in the morning), but guys and gals, lets enjoy our prize possessions and pray for good weather next time.

And whilst were on the praying issue, keep praying for the convention which is on in four days time...ok.

Oh... and for those in our club who have more than two cars (im so envious) and not enough drivers, im sure we can get some volunteers to get yor cars out to the events...just kidding!

Happy motoring.

M;36
Live life to the fullest...drive a Corvette

Offline 86er

• Four Barrel
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 11:29:44 AM »
Good comment, I am not on anyones side here however, I ask you,
An elected leader of a car club is asked questions by members of that car club that require addressing by means of communication at a forum of club members.  What is that leader to do?
a/ not raise the subject & have all the members that asked him about it p#issed off?   OR
b/ ask the question in the correct forum & get abused?
This was a legitmate question RAISED BY CLUB MEMBERS that deserves one reasonable answer, surely it is not a subject to drag on when the issue has already been addressed is it?
Vette blues

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 12:28:14 PM »
Originally posted by Garry Smith
Good comment, I am not on anyones side here however, I ask you,
An elected leader of a car club is asked questions by members of that car club that require addressing by means of communication at a forum of club members.  What is that leader to do?
a/ not raise the subject & have all the members that asked him about it p#issed off?   OR
b/ ask the question in the correct forum & get abused?
This was a legitmate question RAISED BY CLUB MEMBERS that deserves one reasonable answer, surely it is not a subject to drag on when the issue has already been addressed is it?

I know where you are coming from Garry Smith...I dont think any no one is arguing or objecting  those legitmate question RAISED BY CLUB MEMBERS, they have the right to do so and in return our presdient has the right to raise it in our club meeting.

However you have missed totally the main issue....people are upset because simply the following question was raised:

"Do we need these in our club"?

Now in real life when you ask such question you have to ask yourself....

Am I being rational when asking this question?

Am I acting in the best intrest of our club and club members?

In my opinion the following questions must be asked

1) Explain how your action or the proposed question fits in with the goal you are trying to reach

2) Explain how your action fits in with the mission

as the mission has been said alreadyon this forum to become australia's number 1 club

thank you

Offline 86er

• Four Barrel
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 01:52:35 PM »
G'Day matey, I don't feel as though I have missed the point, the questions you have noted are in more detail to the high level questions I raised is exactly what needed to be discussed & you can't do that properly in a closed debate.
My view at this point is to move on.
See ya at the Convention for a great time
Vette blues

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 01:59:05 PM »
looking forward to it! ;46 ;42

Offline hot 70

• Two Barrel
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 05:47:44 PM »
fact one: without  n.s.w.corvettes no member would have the opportunity to obtain club plates let's enjoy what  the club has obtained for us & get this club together without the bickering, & support  what the club has to offer  to all members fully registered or club plates etc...... let,s show everyone at the convention & then on that  we are all enthusiastic  members of the N.S.W.CORVETTES LTD.
still looking

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 06:46:06 PM »
Originally posted by hot 70
fact one: without  n.s.w.corvettes no member would have the opportunity to obtain club plates let's enjoy what  the club has obtained for us & get this club together without the bickering, & support  what the club has to offer  to all members fully registered or club plates etc...... let,s show everyone at the convention & then on that  we are all enthusiastic  members of the N.S.W.CORVETTES LTD.

Fact two: let us keep these members happy, like the old saying..."a happy customer will tell 10 people, unhappy ones will tell 1000's of people"

and let us have a good time at the convention oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhh;42

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 07:37:09 PM »
i dont mean to cause any trouble or the like...but fact 1 is not correct...you could join another club in nsw to aquire club plates not to mention any though...:grr

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 08:38:18 PM »
Originally posted by MADLT1
i dont mean to cause any trouble or the like...but fact 1 is not correct...you could join another club in nsw to aquire club plates not to mention any though...:grr

ur not stirring...thats why we are discussing it on this forum.
and good point!

Offline hot 70

• Two Barrel
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 06:39:49 PM »
madlt1 cannot see point do you have a corvette or maybe a mustang
still looking

Offline mick

• Tri Powered
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 07:14:12 PM »
Hey Guys,
                If I could offer some advise. My primary club which I have my club rego may not exist after tonight. Im about to go to an extraordinary meeting due to fighting between the members. If it dosent work out everyone walks away and no more club and yes no more club rego.

My advice

Let the little things slide and just try to get on as best as possible, remembering everyone is there for the same reasons.

Or think of me with no club rego.

Just my 20 cents anyway

Mick  :(

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 08:34:51 PM »
hot 70 i think you dont like to be corrected....;40...maybe its you that dont own a corvette or is it a gharger.....:20

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2006, 08:47:30 PM »
Originally posted by MADLT1
hot 70 i think you dont like to be corrected....;40...maybe its you that dont own a corvette or is it a gharger.....:20

Glenn just ignore him mate! some people do not like to be corrected