Author Topic: [question] kids and corvette  (Read 2830 times)

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
[question] kids and corvette
« on: February 04, 2008, 09:03:36 PM »
I was talking to a friend of mine today, he was telling me that the law has been changed in relation to kids seating at the front seat of your car, NOW they have to be 7 yo!!!...So i asked him what happens if you have a corvette? (not that i have a kid)
 but I was curious whether we (corvette owners) are exempt from this restriction...

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 09:30:16 PM »
From Section 5 of the RTA road user’s Handbook (2007):

"Passengers under age 16 are not permitted to travel in the front seat without a child restraint or seatbelt, even if the back seat is full.

It is an offence to use a child restraint (including a booster cushion) in the front seat of a vehicle fitted with a passenger airbag, as the child could be seriously injured by the airbag.

Never use a booster with a lap seatbelt alone. Booster cushions with a lap only seatbelt must have a child harness."

As to when a child can use a seatbelt instead of a restraint, that's based on their weight and size:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/restraintschildrestraints/childrestraints/choosingarestraint.html
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline cve77e1984

• Two Barrel
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 10:33:48 PM »
Ouch, thats goning to hurt, Just had a little boy last tuesday, how do you tell them dad cant take you out in his car. at least I have a few years before he will ask.:{

Offline VET-005

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 05:32:10 PM »
I intend on putting the anchor points and a proper baby seat in when i get my next Vette.
Don't see how there is a problem as long as the child is restraigned in the correct approved seat .
Click Images For My Gallery

Offline SC

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 10:01:35 PM »
i think what they are refering to is cars fitted with front passenger air bags

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 10:29:33 PM »
Originally posted by cve77e1984
Ouch, thats goning to hurt, Just had a little boy last tuesday, how do you tell them dad cant take you out in his car. at least I have a few years before he will ask.:{

I dont think you should get upset because it is not really cleared whether you are allowed to seat them at the front in a corvette... only the RTA can clarify it (may b there is a loophole)
like learner's ironicaly they can learn on a corvette but P's can not drive them....

oh and Congratulations ;)

Offline smokem

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 04:03:10 PM »
I've seen babies in the front of Corvettes .

STOP ACTING STUPID!
WE'VE GOT POLITICIANS TO DO THAT
[/i]

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 04:39:13 PM »
Originally posted by gtc
From Section 5 of the RTA road user’s Handbook (2007):

"Passengers under age 16 are not permitted to travel in the front seat without a child restraint or seatbelt, even if the back seat is full.

Is that referring only to cars that actually have back seats?  If a car only has two then there is no front or back seat, just seats.

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 06:35:11 PM »
I just mounted a baby seat in the front of my Dodge truck. We towed the boat to Bayview from Penrith and this was the only way to get her there. Ill worry about the law if I get pulled up. If the copper wants to be smart Ill sit her on the tray. Im over all these rules ;61

Offline smokem

• Four Barrel
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 09:54:25 AM »
Well said ,good old aussie spirit there.
And thats right , there has to be a back seat to name another  a" front seat" , otherwise no relevance . We only have "driver" and "passenger" seats .

STOP ACTING STUPID!
WE'VE GOT POLITICIANS TO DO THAT
[/i]

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 02:05:27 PM »
Originally posted by smokem
We only have "driver" and "passenger" seats .

I nominate you for the CEO position for the RTA ;58