Author Topic: gearbox slipping  (Read 5711 times)

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
gearbox slipping
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:32:55 PM »
hi guys my family wagon is a vy 2002 ss 5.7 auto,the gearbox has reverse,1st and second gear and then slips(free revs),so I have been calling around and the experts tell me it is a common problem that the clutch package for 3rd and 4th gear fails on these models,they say I have to pull the box,rebiuld it for around $1800,then they say I have to go to holden to have the soft wear upgraded so that it wont happen again,dont know what that will cost?whats your thoughts?anyone herd of this before?

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
Re: gearbox slipping
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 07:28:41 PM »
?anyone herd of this before?

Hmmm first I've heard of that, but then again I've always had manuals so, sozz can't really help ya.

P.S. I've listed your issue on the HSV forum for ya Bro see what they come back with :toetap: :toetap:...

jethro

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 07:48:25 AM »
The ecu can be tuned by anyone with a laptop and a bit of knowledge, so you don't have to take it to Holden.  Call Dale at Castle Hill Exhaust.  He's very good with Commodores and would be able to sort it out for you and probably unleash a few extra ponies at the same time. 

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 02:21:40 PM »
i have never worked on a electric shift car box
done quite a lot of tractor  ones though
can not see the operation being to mcuch different,

if the clutch are slipping  the first thing i would look at  would be the solenoidal that sh#t the  clutch that is playing up

a simple pressure test will tell you if it a clutch or and piston  sealing problem  or even a pump problem

its highly likely you have an accumulator problem in 3/4

ill see if i can find a schematic of the hydraulics and post again

bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill