Author Topic: 88 master...  (Read 19113 times)

Offline ozpont

• Four Barrel
88 master...
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2006, 10:54:23 PM »
TYou said "The 1988 model is a one year only master.. (like many '88 Corvette parts" - what else is unique to the 88?

Stingray..   you asked about the above question..  I don't know everything or every answer but all too often I've noticed a division line that seems to spring in on 88 year models.. shocks is one,  .. your brake MC is another .. another day (which reminded me to post a reply here I guess) was for a air conditioning condensor.. they are a one year only for a genuine unit also... .. other times thing where changed from say 1988 like the AC compressor is different form the 87 but remains then the same in 89.. so obviously and probably .. gm was improving over the 84-87 range in a big leap.. and some things worked.. and some did not perhaps.
   Hope that helps..

.. But.. tell me .. why are you going to all that trouble with the master cylinder.. is it because its like.. its too late now as they have started it etc.. seems alot of mucking around to try to save a buck .. if its in fact going to save anyting in the long run.. (and thats not a sales thing forEcklers or  PW.. just an observation knowing the prices and the probably end result cost your going to cop etc) You would have had one next day for $14 delivery done ...finished etc.

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
88 master...
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006, 10:55:43 AM »
Ozpont - "why are you going to all that trouble with the master cylinder.. ......You would have had one next day for $14 delivery done ...finished etc."

As you mentioned, a new M/C for my 88 is $364, as I was quoted $65 to fit the PBR kit, or $160 if the M/C needed a s/s sleeve, it was a big saving over buying new. I've had an expensive time with my vette.

As it turned out it cost me more than that with all the stuffing around, sending the M/C to Brisbane etc - but that was because the PBR kit was not the one for my M/C and also didn't have all the parts needed in it. It was still cheaper than a new one and the M/c will now last at least another 100,000kms.

I've spoken to PBR and they assure me that it was the right kit and suggest I don't have an 88 M/C - I've asked them if there is a serial number to identify the year on the M/C, as I can't see one - but they haven't replied.

Thanks for you advice, much appreciated. I've bought from US Gm before and will again.

S'nut

Offline ozpont

• Four Barrel
88 master...
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 09:19:31 PM »
... thanks stingray.. I'm not asking for a sale etc.. just trying to help..  Sometimes.. people need it and like you & I both .. we'd try and help.. money means bugger all against politeness etc..
.. With regards the costs but.. there was what you will end up with already avaiable also.. a USA remanufactured one ready to go next day..  ."ready for about $169+gst + return your old one so we can  return it  back to the USA remanufacturer.
   Hope regardless this is the end of it for you and you can get the rig back on the road haughting Cairns..   Love your city too.. probably heading up there sometime Febuary for a 4 day break .. gods country.....
Cheers,