Author Topic: thanks  (Read 6910 times)

Offline aussie 74

thanks
« on: November 15, 2002, 01:22:57 AM »
Could a member post a link to a site , repairs to stress cracks in front fender, or suitable book title ffor vette glass repair
thanks in advance:(:(

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
    • http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/brutus
thanks
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2002, 09:17:33 AM »
The only book I've seen on any sort of fibreglass repairs is the Eckler's one. I was fortunate enough to grab a copy when I visited the Ecklers 21st Reunion Show in Florida a couple of years ago. (The 20th one was cancelled the day after I got there...you can imagine what I thought of that):20
BOB

THE C3 SHARK TANK - The best, first, and oldest site for owners of 1968 to 1982 Corvettes

Offline Adam

• Four Barrel
    • http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~turon/photo/index.htm
thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2002, 08:05:54 PM »
I think the club library has books on that?

Anyway, I can tell you how I repaired my cracks. When I bought my car it had big cracks- or rather breaks in the front fender. Right from the wheel opening and working their way up. Obviously some sort of light prang had occured which had cracked a peice of glass in 2 places.

This had been patched up by somone in the past but they kept cracking. Any fiberglas patches you put underneitheth are uselss because they really only hold force in one direction, and any hit or stress is going to break through the putty over the top.

Therefor I took a knife and made the cracks bigger. Then i took my grinder and gound away a number of lines (horizontaly) accrss the crack (which was vertical) creating a series of dips. Into these dips I put a number of strands of fiberglass, This would creat a great amount of strength. The wider cracks helped more resin get into all the places.

Then I put fiberglas patches on back which wouldnt be seen by anyone anyway. I tell u what, it doesnt look pretty but after it dried I gave it a good sanding. THEN the putty went on, and the rest is history.

the hardest bit was puttin the grinder to the body work- its all mental. But I can tell you i can grab onto the fender and try to pick the car up and the crack wont reapear.

Adam
1980 LG4 stock 305 running LPG.

I'm a highway staaaaaarrrr...

Offline aussie 74

thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2002, 02:19:50 AM »
i spent more time reading old posts.
found a great article on Rebels post" Great corvette research tool". So now just have to get into it with the grinder. :mmm

Offline rebel

• Four Barrel
thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2002, 09:56:25 PM »
that white rider's gettin' as brave as brutus ...... ;-)

Very pleased tat article was of help to you aussie 74 ...

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
    • http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/brutus
thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2002, 03:56:18 PM »
Moi??
More like bloody stupid.;ay
BOB

THE C3 SHARK TANK - The best, first, and oldest site for owners of 1968 to 1982 Corvettes