Author Topic: tail light out of a C4  (Read 5641 times)

Offline 87Z51

• Four Barrel
tail light out of a C4
« on: November 13, 2002, 11:00:09 PM »
If your arms are thin enough you can get at them from below.Otherwise remove number plate and undo inner lights from there , then use that hole to access the outer light.Not the easiest of jobs but not the worst on a C4

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
tail light out of a C4
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2002, 10:45:05 AM »
You can also get in via the fuel filler door if you remove it.
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline rebel

• Four Barrel
tail light out of a C4
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2002, 03:18:05 PM »
another suggestion, those 2 * 13mm nuts are easiest accessible by removing the rear wheels and inner wheel well and get in from underneath ....

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
tail light out of a C4
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 06:16:35 PM »
I just replaced a globe in the outer rear lights (was indicator - had 2 filaments, one disconnected)

Couldn't get in from underneath even with lower bumper bolts removed.

Couldn't get in from Number plate

Couldn't get in from Fuel filler (lid removed etc)

Had to remove inner lenses by going through fuel filler hole then got in through that lens hole to reach the outer lense !!!!!

They're 10mm bolts on my 88 (not 13mm)

I dropped socket inside and it rolled into a sloping U channel - took 30mins and much pain to recover !!!!

I'm thinking about putting my red stop/tail lights on the outer and indicators inner - any thoughts ?

S'nut

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
tail light out of a C4
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2003, 07:57:35 PM »
Originally posted by Stingraynut
I just replaced a globe in the outer rear lights (was indicator - had 2 filaments, one disconnected)

Couldn't get in from underneath even with lower bumper bolts removed.

Couldn't get in from Number plate

Couldn't get in from Fuel filler (lid removed etc)

Had to remove inner lenses by going through fuel filler hole then got in through that lens hole to reach the outer lense !!!!!

They're 10mm bolts on my 88 (not 13mm)

I have found the exact same thing recently when I had to fix a broken wire on my right indicator.  I have skinny arms and there is no way I can access the indicators any other way aside from through the top by removing the whole fuel filler lid assembly.  This is one job I truly hate doing on a C4.

I'm thinking about putting my red stop/tail lights on the outer and indicators inner - any thoughts ?

I did that because I prefer the look of the brake lights being on the outside but I don't see what you will gain by swapping them around from a maintenance standpoint.  After all, you don't know what bulb is going to go next do you?

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
tail light out of a C4
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2003, 12:32:07 AM »
Re -Swapping the lights around, it was purely to look better and maybe better from a safety angle.

As you say, who knows which globe will blow next

Today I tried to fit a replacement halogen to the Left driving/fog light- much skinned knuckles and it is not in tight. Tomorrow I'll try fitting the right globe to the left and vice versa to prove I have the correct part.

I need something like 'snail eyes' to see what I'm doing.

Just in case........
(No....that's not a special Corvette tool, just something snails have that would be v useful for these tricky jobs.)

S'nut

Offline Tom Matic

tail light out of a C4
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2003, 06:21:33 PM »
I swapped the lights around so that the red lenses are at the outer spots.  It's a real pain of a job.

I actually took the whole back end off to be able to get at the lenses.  There's probably around 26 or so small bolts that need to be removed.  Some you get at from underneath the car.  Then there's maybe ten along the top ridge attaching the tail to the body.  These are accessed through the fuel filler cap.  You'll need a small ratchet and skinny arms as it's real tight to get in there.  be prepared to be patient.

The worst part is putting the tail section back on.  Care must be taken to align the tail with the body exactly.  I found that if I did not tighten them in seguence and gradually to THE SAME TENSION that I ended up with warpage on the top flat section of the tail peice.  The tail peice is made from real floppy plastic and if its not held in place while you;'re tightening the bolts, it's real easy for it to shift a millimetre ot two and that of course leads to less than desired alignment.

I think from memory that the correct sequence is to tart from the centre and work your way out, alternating from side to side.  Get them to finger tight, and then gradually tension them up further once you are happy with alignment.  This is probably a two person job, although I did it myself.  Much quicker and easier with a helper on hand I'd reckon, plus the neighbours won't hear as much swearing.

Be extra careful not to lose sockets or nuts as they end up in channels and other spots where they are very difficult to retreive.

Offline johnny86convert

• Four Barrel
tail light out of a C4
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2003, 09:53:06 PM »
While  trying  to  finish  off  the  black  beauty  this  week  I  had  the  pleasure of  doing  the  " PAIN  IT  TAKES  AND  THE  SKIN  OFFA  THE  FOREARMS  WITH  TAKING  BOTH  REAR  LENSES  OUTTA  MY  88  TO  MAKE  IT  COMPLIANT  with  the  regs  in  n.s.w."  reporting  that  the  pain  is  great,  the  swearing  was  profuse  and a  big  thanks  to  johhny  sards  and  greg  morris  for  the  help,  BTW  sure  was a  surprise  to  find  they  even  swap  sides  with  the  battery  ;););););););)  now  some  tips  with  cleaning  the  engine  bay  to  steam  clean  or  not???????????

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
    • http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/brutus
tail light out of a C4
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2003, 06:50:31 AM »
Originally posted by johnnyholmes.86 convert
  now  some  tips  with  cleaning  the  engine  bay  to  steam  clean  or  not???????????

Just remember that computers and all their electrical bretheren are slightly averse to any degree of moisture in and around their allotted proximity.:b2:22
BOB

THE C3 SHARK TANK - The best, first, and oldest site for owners of 1968 to 1982 Corvettes

Offline johnny86convert

• Four Barrel
tail light out of a C4
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2003, 09:16:45 AM »
hey  BOB  looks  like a  lot of  late  nights  with  a  lot  of  cotton  buds  then  and  lottsa  elbow  grease  hehehehehe;);););)  hows  your  car  going??????I'll  be  in  canada   while  your at  FOX  so  please  put  some  photos  on  the  forum  please?

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
tail light out of a C4
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2003, 11:36:22 PM »
Hi JH, I was talking to Johnny S the other night and he mentioned your car and how nice it is.  Can't wait to see it up close.

I'd be careful about steam cleaning your engine bay.  I'd also be careful about using certain types of degreasers on the rocker covers and intake.  The intake should be okay but some degreasers can kill the finish on the paint on your rocker covers and help turn them a nice shade of brown...

Have fun in Canada, I'd love to get over there one day, I've met lots of nice people from over there...

Offline johnny86convert

• Four Barrel
tail light out of a C4
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2003, 07:54:42 PM »
OK,  it  started  2.30pm  sunday  arvo,power  out,long  nights,warm  beer,  sucky  sucky  suck  suck,  got  the  power  back  10.30  am  thursday,  have  found a  whole  new  way  of  showering  with a  big  pot  of  hot  water  ,flannel  and  soap,very  japanesey.........  but  thanks  for  the  info  from  VO (  always  Mr  good  advice)and  the  ever  present  BOB (I  hope  its  as  clean  as  his  in  the  end  ,  good  mate)  after  the  week  I've  had  its  so  nice  to  see  lights  and  looking  forward  to a  good  long  shower  ;););););););0