Author Topic: RAWS Raw deal  (Read 3746 times)

Offline probridge34

RAWS Raw deal
« on: November 01, 2005, 09:23:09 AM »
Hello all,

I've been reading up on the Australian rules for importing classic vechicles. I've come accross some old posts that let you off the hook for RHD conversions if your car is at least 15 years old and built before 1989.

I'd like to know if the rule rolls forward so that next year, cars build before 1990 will be allowed in without RHD conversion and in 2006 cars build in 1991 etc.

Offline cosmicvette

• Four Barrel
RAWS Raw deal
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 11:34:51 AM »
Hi,

From my understanding the laws changed this year - from the 15 year rule to build date before Jan 1989. So your mixing up the old law and the new law.

It used to be if the vehicle was 15 years or older. Now it is if the vehicle is built before Jan 1989 you may personally import it. Otherwise (so later than Jan 89) you must go through RAWS.

Now my question is......if you go through RAWS to bring in say a 1990 ...do you have to commit to converting it to RHD? or can you just bring it in.

The bastards and our crappy stupid laws. Makes me sick!

Offline MJ427

• Tri Powered
RAWS Raw deal
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 09:45:43 PM »
no u must convert all cars brought in under raws in 12 months

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
RAWS Raw deal
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 05:01:20 PM »
IN NSW Its only 25 years or older that you dont have to change to RHD!!! 75 or older!
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline MJ427

• Tri Powered
RAWS Raw deal
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 07:45:53 PM »
no its 30 years old 69dr not 25

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
RAWS Raw deal
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 07:31:41 AM »
Sorry 30 years!,but I did write 75 & older! I just cant add up!
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline ozpont

• Four Barrel
RAWS Raw deal
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 06:05:17 PM »
.. problem is with the RAWS scheme.. it was dreamt up by a bunch of Commonwealth Public Servants. with a hand up the provided by the national / Multinational associations..
   It is locked at jan 1st 1989. Not flowing like it used to.
   It was also .. supposed to stop jap used stuff coming in.. but it has not...
   One earlier quote to me personally .. as I questioned the intelligence of putting up this furturistically dismal law.. How the hell will anybody trying to bring in very low volume post Jan 89 cars EVER be able to afford to do it commerically.. . and the answer was basically  "Derrrrrr"..
   Seems thats the case. .if you do get a certified Workshop.. and satisfy OH&S, RTA/Machinery/Vicroads, Tech qualifications of all staff, the Fed Dept of Transport, MTA, and anybody else that might come in for a quick fee and get there uneducated rocks off telling the average qualified workshop proprietor how to eat pie...    TOO MUCH MONEY to be spent for unless your likely to make your RAWS money (not your frustration) in as few as five cars..  BUT THEN.. THEN.. that does not qualify you to convert ANY specific car or truck.. just registers your workshop as viable...  Now go and basically convert a car, document it .. then primarily run i thru a brick wall.. and what comes out in tack they might pass.
    In furture years.. we might look like a great tourist spot of older American  car lovers...   a bit like Cuba... :(