Author Topic: Extractors / Headers to suit C4  (Read 14141 times)

Offline White88

• Four Barrel
Extractors / Headers to suit C4
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2005, 07:50:58 PM »
I think '88's and up have high torque starters as standed fitment .That's great info there 87Z51, I'll keep this in mind.

Offline White88

• Four Barrel
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2005, 08:29:58 PM »
If I use these pipes what of the air pump system!. How can I replace the air pump itself with the serpentine belt and all. Can you get another belt that is shorter or do I have to get one of those kits that bolts in place of the pump. The EGR pipe will I still have this hooked up or do I block it off. What effects does this have on the ECM. With the pump removed the engine bay should look a lot neater.  Has anybody done this before any answers and pic's there guys. ( so many questions)
:22

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2005, 05:57:32 PM »
You have a few options with regard to the air pump.  As you seem to be aware there is a kit available to replace the air pump with an idler pulley.  I don't know if it is possible to just use a shorter belt without fowling other things in the engine bay on your car (although you can get away with a shorter belt on 84's).

You can also get an EGR block off kit.  It's a simple metal plate that bolts into place.

If you want more info or pics I can email you pics of some setups and give you more details.

The alternative is to just route the lines out of the air pump somewhere out of sight and keep the system in place - it depends on what way you want to go.

Any of the options available are very easy to do.
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2005, 07:05:38 PM »
Oh, and with the EGR from the exhaust blocked off you will not get any codes.  Some 90-91 cars get codes when you play with the intake but that is related to the MAP system (instead of the MAF system in your car which is not subject to the same issue).  At any rate the code you get on 90-91 when playing with the intake is more a nuisance than anything and doesn't cause any issues with the car.

Removing the pump and related plumbing definitely cleans up the engine bay as well as making life easier when you work on the car.  Having said that, you will be fracturing a few laws by doing either of these mods.
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline 87Z51

• Four Barrel
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2005, 05:54:51 PM »
Cheapy.
Remove AIR pump , open up , knock out fibre vanes inside and replace.Looks stock , and just acts as a big pulley.

Lots of money.Buy pump eliminator from US.
US$160+ depending on style you want.
Both ways reuse the stock belt

re the Pacemakers.
Clears  stock late starter (Denso?) with ease , can even remove while headers in place.Will not clear early large (Delco ) unit.
Email me for pics of pump eliminator bracket fitted.

Offline White88

• Four Barrel
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2005, 11:49:11 AM »
So I take it 87Z51 you don't run an air pump system with the pacemakers, as they don't come with them , do have any problems come rego time.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2005, 04:41:35 PM »
I would imagine they wouldn't know if it was supposed to have an air pump or not.  Emissions tests are easy as you just play with the timing.

Offline White88

• Four Barrel
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2005, 09:04:24 PM »
That's what I thought , I don't think late model engines have air pump's e.g. LS1's and such. My son has a late model monaro and I don't think it has a air pump. If all the plumbing is removed from the car they probably wouldn't know any different.

Offline 87Z51

• Four Barrel
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2005, 10:54:15 PM »
Never had a mechanic check emission gear on any car.
If you were worried about it , would be no problem to weld the EGR riser off the old manifold on to the new headers in the same position so as to retain EGR.
Some brands of header available in the US have this provision for California  cars