Author Topic: spraypainter  (Read 8338 times)

Offline blackflag

• Two Barrel
spraypainter
« on: August 01, 2005, 06:23:25 PM »
Hi guys (and girls),
I've got a 1970 bigblock that is almost ready to get painted. Can anyone recommend a painter in Sydney and a rough price I will have to pay?
Thanks in advance.
B

Offline cve77e1984

• Two Barrel
spraypainter
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 07:12:51 PM »
I just got my 84 resprayed, from a guy in minto. He did an excelent job. Th e price will vary depending on what thay have to do.

Offline MJ427

• Tri Powered
spraypainter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 07:53:12 PM »
i have heard of quotes from around $7,000 to $25,000 some times cheaper(mates rates)

Offline blackflag

• Two Barrel
spraypainter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 08:06:08 PM »
Vette looks sweet. Minto hey, how much did it set you back?

My car needs to be rubbed back, but not a great deal of prep work besides that, all the body work is 100%.

Gee, $7-25 k is a bloody broad spectrum :(

Offline TIPPA

• Four Barrel
spraypainter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 08:56:34 PM »
I had my HSV fully 2-packed and flow-coated by a place called UNIQUE SPRAYPAINTING, in Arndell Park (back of Blacktown). They did a fantastic job for me and three friends who i also recommended them to. They have some pretty big contracts like Arnotts' fleet of cars and trucks and have done many show cars some of which have been featured in Street Machine and have Summernats trophies.
I'm sure there are plenty of great panel shops out there, this is just one i know and can recommend.
I would ball-park a 2-pack respray with minimal prep work at around 5-7grand. But as MJ said, people have paid massive amounts too. The way i see it is it doesn't matter how much you pay someone, if they are an average painter it won't make a difference. (I prepared my vette and contracted two well respected painters to hire a downdraught booth and apply the colour for $2500 and have seen $15,000 jobs that aren't as good) Then again a first class painter may charge more for their skill...and with 2-pack you want it done right straight off the gun!

Offline cve77e1984

• Two Barrel
spraypainter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 09:46:41 PM »
Cost me $5500 that included geting being rubbed back & some other work.

Offline TIPPA

• Four Barrel
spraypainter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 11:19:28 PM »
Thats a great price for what looks like a fantastic job :b2

Offline VET-005

• Four Barrel
spraypainter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 08:15:41 AM »
Painting a Vett is not like painting a standard STEEL car. Because the vetts are fibreglass they take a lot more prep work to get them right or you will get major sinkbacks in the paint 6 to 12 months after it is painted as 2 pac dosen't compleetly dry for about 6 months. Any good painter will know that its the preperation that will make the job as the paint will reflect any sinkbacks or body inperfections. The best type of paint job you will get on a vette cannot be rushed. The longer you leave any fibreglass body repairs to cure the better, at least 3 to 4 weeks is recomended, followed by hi fill primer & guide coat then a good block down, check body work final touch up's and followed by another few coats of hi fill and then let it sit for as long as possible before you lay the paint 6 months in primer is great. I have seen a lote of people get the 2 to 3 week turn around jobs which look great for a little while then you get the sinkbacks. The only time you will get a reasonabbly quick respray on a vette that remains great is if the BODY doesn't need any repair work and there haven't been any rub through's to the fibreglass gel coat.;27
Click Images For My Gallery

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
spraypainter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 08:34:50 AM »
Where are you at Blackflag?
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline TIPPA

• Four Barrel
spraypainter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 08:54:05 AM »
They are words of wisdom, VET-005. Preparation with any car is EVERYTHING. Especially on a fibreglass car as you pointed out. Blackflag said his body work is 100% and a guide-coat and block back will determine that.
So he now is after recomendations on a painter. (after all you can't paint strip a fibreglass car if 2-pack goes on too wet and starts to sag!).
So i can recommend Unique, (the fellas who did my vette i believe are out of the game now).
Any other recommendations??
69DR, blackflag is looking for one in Sydney so i take it you have done some panel shop research for yours recently??

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
spraypainter
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 09:46:42 AM »
Is it just the ouside of the car or the engine bay as well.  Windows in or out.  Trims on or off.  All these things will effect the price.  The outside of my car cost $6500 cash.  Windows and trims off.  Three coats of two pack, 3 coats of clear then flow coated.  Ingleburn area.  In that price the car was stripped back to the fibreglass gel coat.
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline blackflag

• Two Barrel
spraypainter
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 11:09:47 AM »
Thanks guys for all the advice.

The car is currently in Sydney - Scott Girard at Corvette Alterations has done all the work on the car. As far as the body is concerned it is 100%, although it needs to be rubbed back, to get it back to glass.

Doesn't sound like there is a really good spray painter that everyone knows or recommends. I'm really afraid that I am playing Russian Roulette at the moment.

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
spraypainter
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 11:22:38 AM »
You can only go by other peoples experience.  But your right, there is no one painter that we have all used.  Let us know what you do.
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
spraypainter
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 11:54:12 AM »
I can't suggest a painter but if you come to a major show (like Fox) and chat with the owners of the cars with paint jobs you are impressed by you will probably gain alot of info and be able to make alot of comparisons.
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline BOSCHVETTE

• Tri Powered
spraypainter
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 12:48:06 PM »
there is so many questions to ask;acrylic or 2pak
                                                      on baked cycle or off baked cycle
                                                      existing paint removed or not
                                                      sealer used or not sealed
                                                      machine rubbed or hand rubbed
                                                      shrink back time between primer and top coat
                                                       tinted or non tinted primer
                                                      how much will be masked up and how many parts removed [removal is better]
                                                       car panels fitted or non fitted when painted
                                                       metallic,solid or clear over base paint
                                                       brand of paint
                                                       warranty

thats a short list of questions that are "A MUST" to ask.
                                                          yes i was a spray painter for 10 years
                                                                 cheers boschvette
ps.any questions give a yell
New toy about to breath life and we will have a strangle hold on the leadfoot forever 850hp 1150kg Australian sports sedan series here we come.
Z06 sports sedan about to be semi retired.
Old C4 weapon now retired to the garage
450 RWHP WITH MORE TORQUE THAN MUNDINE
BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE BOUGHT A BAG OF ROCKS TO A GUN FIGHT.....

Offline blackflag

• Two Barrel
spraypainter
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2005, 04:24:28 PM »
gee Boschvette,
so many good points. To be honest, I don't know a great deal about cars and painting, that's why I need this help.
I know the body work is fine, but there is a Cams Altra Sealer on the body, which needs to be rubbed back before painting.
Not sure what else....I really need to know what I should be aiming for.

Offline MJ427

• Tri Powered
spraypainter
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2005, 09:02:54 PM »
If u are gunna do it 2 pack make sure u get a good painter other wise it will look sh#t when they dont get it flat especially with all the lines that corvette's have just rember if its to cheap beaware as thats the sort of job u will most probaly get

Offline blackflag

• Two Barrel
spraypainter
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2005, 09:26:43 AM »
Yeah, I'm not expecting it to be cheap. So far I have had two recomendations, one from Col Harrison who recommends Polo Smash and another one recommended called Prostreet Restorations. I'm gonna check these two out this week and see examples of their work.

Offline MJ427

• Tri Powered
spraypainter
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2005, 10:42:57 PM »
have u any pics of your vet

Offline cosmicvette

• Four Barrel
spraypainter
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2005, 09:23:58 AM »
Originally posted by blackflag
Yeah, I'm not expecting it to be cheap. So far I have had two recomendations, one from Col Harrison who recommends Polo Smash and another one recommended called Prostreet Restorations. I'm gonna check these two out this week and see examples of their work.

Let us know how you go. Id be interested to hear what you found out and stuff.

As Id like to do a paint job on my vette in the future sometime...(when I get some money)..

Good luck, I hope all goes cool