Author Topic: Technical on Heat , Oil, Operating Temps  (Read 8961 times)

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
Technical on Heat , Oil, Operating Temps
« on: July 01, 2005, 12:16:50 AM »
Found this and thought it was a good read if your interested in the tech side of things. There are also some good links in the site if you click on the numerous REF in the post of C5D

CLICK HERE
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 07:23:07 AM »
I dont like the bit about - "Running an engine at 180F for about one hour, is hot enough to boil off the normal condensation". ....so for about an hour its ruining your engine?
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline TIPPA

• Four Barrel
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 05:26:15 PM »
Okaaay... I don't think that guy flips burgers for a living...;laugh 69DR I doubt the "condensation" picked up and held in the oil would be wearing your engine for an hour nearly as much as the first 5 mins of warm-up.
Seriously, if you pull the dipstick during warm-up or within that hour there would be so little water in your oil of course you wouldn't notice it. And oils these days are pretty advanced  so i'm certainly not stressing about it!:b2

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 05:34:15 PM »
Originally posted by TIPPA
Okaaay... I don't think that guy flips burgers for a living...;laugh 69DR I doubt the "condensation" picked up and held in the oil would be wearing your engine for an hour nearly as much as the first 5 mins of warm-up.
Seriously, if you pull the dipstick during warm-up or within that hour there would be so little water in your oil of course you wouldn't notice it. And oils these days are pretty advanced  so i'm certainly not stressing about it!:b2

"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 08:22:10 PM »
very interesting....
So if I have a 88 and it runs that runs at 194 to 199 is that a good thing? because until I read this article I was going to fit a 180 degree thermostat!

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 08:54:54 PM »
I run my 77 with a 180 thermostst.  Some guys run a 150.  Check to see if your temp gauge is reading correctly and if it is you may also wnat to check that your radiator system is functionally correctly.  ie not water blockages.
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline VET-005

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 08:06:44 AM »
Originally posted by Jethro
very interesting....
So if I have a 88 and it runs that runs at 194 to 199 is that a good thing? because until I read this article I was going to fit a 180 degree thermostat!

Running too high a temp is not a good thing. If you have an 88 they run a 180  degree standard. Most people put a 160 degree thermostat in them.
Click Images For My Gallery

Offline VET-005

• Four Barrel
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 08:17:58 AM »
This is why cars have a PCV valve fitted to them that feedsback into the intake. The PCV valve is there to remove moisture from the engine.
I had a car once that did not have a PCV valve when i got it and i was getting moisture in the valve covers. I first thought it had a blown head gasket or leaking intake manifold but after fitting the PCV valve to the valve cover and feeding it back to the carby the problem dissapeared.;49;49
Click Images For My Gallery

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 12:41:15 PM »
Just remember that fitting a 180 thermostat doesn't make your car RUN at 180 deg.....it just means that's when the thermostat OPENS.  

If it runs at 195 it will continue to run at 195 unless you improve airflow to the rad or get rid of some rust in your engine.

;42