Author Topic: Insurance on vehicle imports  (Read 4557 times)

Offline cosmicvette

• Four Barrel
Insurance on vehicle imports
« on: April 28, 2005, 01:06:56 PM »
Hi,

Im in the process of getting my car shipped from the US to home (Sydney).

At the moment Im trying to sort out some things..one being transport/shipping insurance.

My shipping company has given me the name of an insurance company that deals with this sort of stuff - Midas Insurance Brokers - however, everytime (without fail) I have called them to try to get a quote, get information on what details they require from us, when/how to pay etc (you get the picture) they have been extremely rude and unhelpful....EVERYTIME WITHOUT FAIL.

I can usually take a bit of crap from insurance companies, but this is ridiculous. Im not about to hand over a large wad of cash to a company that can't answer a question or two.

Is there another company that can provide this type of insurance as I am VERY RELUCTANT to go with this company now.

Id appreciate your help guys and gals....quite an urgent matter.

Stay cool, cosmicvette

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 01:27:32 PM »
Good luck.  If they are like that when you want to give them your business I'd hate to think what would happen if you needed to make a claim. ;eek
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 05:24:52 PM »
Try Dave Clee at Ponti-world he imports stuff all the time ,he may know of an insurer? OZPONT are you out there?.

http://www.pontiworld.com.au/

Warehouse # 1 & Showroom:
(PO BOX 135) Unit 10, 120 Industrial Rd, Oak Flats
NSW 2529 Australia   Ph: 02 4257 1230  Fax 02 4257 8042
(outside Australia
Fax: 0011 61 2 4257 8042 -    Ph: 0011 61 2 4257 1230 )
Warehouse Hours: Mon - Thurs 9am - 4pm, Fri till 3pm, Sat 8.30-10.30am.
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

MJ355

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 10:04:02 PM »
congrats on your purchase did u buy the '70 coupe, small block, auto, ps pw pb ac. matching no's drivetrain btw whats the colour
btw were u the female who had the 3rd gen camaro how came to the bbq last year just trying to rember who u are sorry not trying to be nosey

Offline cosmicvette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 01:00:16 AM »
Thanks for your replies guys.
Vette Obsessed> You are so right. I couldn't imagine if I needed to make a claim with them! You should see all the clauses involved - doesn't cover for this, doesn't cover for that etc etc....I don't even know what they do cover for and they won't even let me ask them any questions. To go through with the insurance they need quite a few details from me ..however will not tell me what these details they need when I ask..I just don't get it!

69 Dirty Rat > Thanks for the tip.I'll give pontiworld a call tomorrow. I am keen to get this insurance sorted ASAP. so hopefully Dave can help out.

MJ355 > Hey dude! Yep thats me :22.. used to have that camaro. The camaro was a great car.  I was sad to see it go. :( but will love the vette for sure!
Yeah thats the car - 70 coupe, SB, Auto (cause of my arm injury) PS, PB, PW, AC. Matching #'s.
Its my boyfriend and my car.  What colour? Its a little RED corvette.
I will probably be at the next club meeting. I haven't been for a while, because of my training, then was overseas, then have been dealing with my injury probs....but with the vette coming I want to get back into it. I have the time on my hands cause I cant train at the moment.
Im looking forward to seeing everyone again. Garry was always cool to me.

So MJ355 who are you?! (sorry if that sounded rude) and how did you know about my vette? you have certainly been doing your homework! I'm impressed.

cosmicvette

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 06:08:38 PM »
Any luck cosmicvette?
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

MJ355

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 04:51:54 PM »
i am the webmaster for this site so i go through all the topics so i prity much now everthing that goes on here if it has been posted  and i also had a camaro at that time so i rembered u coming to the bbq that time i had a white 91 convertiable that was a beautiful car wish i could have kept it aswell but would rather my chrome bumper rat over it any day no room in the shed for too many toys

Offline cosmicvette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 07:58:15 PM »
Well, decided to go with that company...I didn't have any luck finding another company, and also my shipping company has been with them for 6 years or so...and so yeah!

MJ355 - I remember seeing your white convertible camaro...pretty nice indeed. I loved my camaro....but sold it to get the vette - and I used to drive it everywhere (it was my daily driver) and petrol cost a fortune! I swear there was something up with the fuel line, a leak or something! and my boyfriend said I have to sell it if I want the corvette.

Our vette is on its way to the warehouse in Los Angeles, where it will wait before being shipped...and we don't know when that is...might be a while actually.

Am looking forward to the club meeting next week..I hope I can make it.

Stay cool dudes!

MJ355

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 12:17:45 PM »
u got any pics of the vet

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 03:50:32 PM »
yeah give us a look give us a look! *jumps up and down and waves arms around wildly* hehe

Matt

Offline ozpont

• Four Barrel
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 09:06:56 PM »
Cosmicvette.. looks like we may have missed each other...  I was in China from 24 April for a week.  But incase you did not get much background... on container imports I organise.. insurance is covered by me up to the first US$5000 .. then its US$150 per US$5000 after that.

.. Never had a claim or more to the point never lost anything since being insuraned.. Once lost about A$20,000 worth of goods back in 1990.. nearly crippled me.. the stuff got stolen from a quarentine base in Mascot.. some stuff turned up .. but the majority never did... and of course NO BODY in any position of security ever sees anything....:-(

... With insurnace.. if your shipping company is on the ball.. I would expect they have their own and can do it simply as an add on.. BUT .. having said that.. some need to have the vehicle photographed, valued, verfied etc before accepting the risk.. AND.. BE CAREFULL... because.. the insurance will only cover it to unloading.. NOT INCLUDING unloading.. or quarentine, or any other handling.. that is all separate.. and unless your at the depot when the car is unloaded.. any damage done by the unloaders is extremely unlikely to be owned up too.. as its so easy for the handlers to pass the buck....
   While we have primarily STOPPED importing VEHICLES now publically.. (we just do parts and parts and more parts both in and out of the country) ... we still do some for ourselves etc.. and whenever WE did them.. AGAIN.. WE were the unloaders and may also wittness the complicated loading or at least have photographic proof of quality of loading placement etc.  
   Yell if you need any advice / guidance or whatever.. always happy to help if you want to ring after middays on stuff like this.