Author Topic: Gearbox replacement  (Read 12202 times)

Offline MJ427

• Tri Powered
Gearbox replacement
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2005, 04:53:26 PM »
fingers crossed for ya

Offline GAS.455

• Two Barrel
Gearbox replacement
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2005, 06:14:59 PM »
Just got a new Bearing delivered to my house!!
What service!!!

looks like I will be back under the Vette tomorrow....
Smoke Em if you got em

Offline GAS.455

• Two Barrel
Gearbox replacement
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2005, 01:42:32 PM »
I had a look on the weekend at fitting this box.....Buggered if I can see it going in....So I am going to unbold the engine...and just slide it forward as far as I can towards the radiator...without touching it ofcourse.....then I will be able to get it in.

One quick silly question...which way does the Thrust bearing go on???

I don't play with Manuals anymore...only Autos.

Gas
Smoke Em if you got em

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
Gearbox replacement
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2005, 06:35:07 PM »
Just checked my Haynes Manual on the corvette, the thrust bearing has a groove in it for the fork to go on/in.  The groove is the furtherest away from the pressure plate.

Click Here For Bigger Pic

[Unless I missed something wouldn't you be better to drop the shaft completely?  i.e. unbolt the uni from the diff.  Once the shaft is all clear loosen the engine mounts so the back of the motor can drop down a little, remember to remove your dissy cap or if you want more room remove the dissy completely.  With the motor at a different angle, back down-nose up, one would imagine you have a better angle to slip the box in.  Just a thought]

Also from the manual:-

Transmission removal,

1. Disconnet the battery ground cable.
2. Working inside the car, remove the shift lever
3. Remove the console trim plate
4. Raise the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands to provide adequate under-vehicle clearance for transmission removal
5. Remove the dual exhaust system.  On cars with a 427 cubic inch engine, the front stud on each manifold will have to be removed.
6. Disconnect the driveshaft at the transmission slip yoke.  Lower the front end of the transmission [I think this is a typo and should read lower the front end of the DRIVE SHAFT] and then remove the slip yoke from the transmission.
7. Remove the bolts that attach the transmittion rear mounting to the braket.  Raise the engine slightly, using a jack and wooden block under the oil pan, until the transmission is lifted off the mounting bracket.
8. Disconnect the shift linkage bracket from the frame.
9. Remove the shift mechanism complete with rods.
10. Disconnect the shifter levers at the transmission
11. Disconnect the speedometer cable from the transmission and the wiring from the TCS switch, where fitted.
12. With the engine still well supported, remove the rear mounting crossmember mount bracket, the rear mount cushion and the exhaust pipe yoke.
13. Unscrew and remove the bolts that hold the transmission to the clutch bellhousing, also the extension bottom bolt.
14. Pull the transmission to the rear, at the same time turning it clockwise until it is clear of the clutch housing.  An assistanT will now have to gently lower the engine until the tachometer drive cable, at the distributor, just clears the ledge on the firewall.  The transmission can now be moved further to the rear, until it can be tipped downwards at its front end and removed completely from the car.
15. Installation is the reversal of removal.

NOTE THAT THE BELL HOUSING AND BOX ARE FITTED SEPARATELY

I WOULD REMOVE THE ENGINE MOUNTS SO YOU CAN LOWER THE MOTOR FURTHER.  BE CAREFULL NOT TO DAMAGE ANY STEERING LINKAGES RUNNING UNDER THE MOTOR

[Post like this would be better placed in the technical sections]

Let us know how you go.

Cam
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
Gearbox replacement
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2005, 07:26:41 PM »
So gas any news on how you are going with the box?
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline GAS.455

• Two Barrel
Gearbox replacement
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2005, 12:52:03 AM »
Not yet.

I was at the Pontiac Car Club meeting tonight...

Hopefully I will be able to have a look Wed/Thurs night...otherwise it will have to wait till next week as I'm driving down to Adelaide on Fri morn.

I will keep you informed....and I will try and get some pics.

Thanks very much for your help so far.....I still don't think it will work that way for me though.

Gas
Smoke Em if you got em