Author Topic: Buying an 80-82  (Read 6256 times)

foxoff

Buying an 80-82
« on: September 07, 2002, 06:02:14 PM »
Hey all!

I'm slowly starting to have a look at 1980-82 corvettes so I get a general feel of condition vs. price. I want one as soon as I can get one, so that means looking at the cheaper end of the market.
I don't mind a bit of work, paint, upholstery, minor engine tuning, that can all be fixed in time. But I'm mostly worried about really expensive things that need to be fixed right away, like a dodgy conversions. I imagine, looking under the car- if I see a chain, thats bad?

Are there any other things like that too look out for thats particular to corvettes?

Does anyone know some good websites about this?

Thanks!

Adam:ado

Offline George80ONE

• Two Barrel
Buying an 80-82
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2002, 10:05:13 PM »
Hi Adam,
I have a 1981 4 speed manual have owned it for just over 3 years. When I was looking for my car, I went for the best that I could afford. The reasoning is that the more you spend, the better car you will get and usually less things to go wrong. This is not always the case however, but mostly it is. If you want something quickly, you will get burnt. It took me six months of looking in Aus. and in the States before I got a good one. I have probably spent an extra $20,000 just modifying it and there's lots more to go. My point is, buy cheap and you will spend your money on repairs. Buy on quality and even though you will naturally still have repairs ( a 20 year old car ), you are starting off with something worth a lot more in the end.:24
It's worth taking the time and looking around and picking everyone's brains.
George

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Buying an 80-82
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2002, 08:57:55 AM »
Things like door rubbers etc are a big cost along with auto trans and diff.  If you can do your own paint, interior and tune ups you will save big $$.

As you said, make sure the conversion is done right!  Chain drives are ok but I wouldn't want one.  I have a 1/2 conversion (booster on LHS) and would only have a full conversion next time.  Make sure the pitman arm and the idler arm are the same height - mine had 1 inch difference and incredible bump steer!  So much for so called experts! :mad::mad: