Author Topic: Converting the vette  (Read 18908 times)

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
Converting the vette
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2005, 08:56:43 PM »
Makes going through McDonalds Drive through difficult. ;41
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2005, 09:04:39 PM »
so i've heard.
but wasn't your car already converted when you got it? that'd make things a bit happier right there...
but anyway, can't do it, no money, not gonna happen... maybe just keep it in storage for 2 and a half years... yuk... makes me sick in the stomach thinking about it :P

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
Converting the vette
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2005, 09:14:24 PM »
Yeah I was lucky.  The beast was converted.  I feel for ya.  The rules and regs have gone overboard.  Bloody red tape.  Hope you sought it out.  What about club rego?  I know the point was bought up before but I cant remember the reply.  Isn't it something to do with how often you drive the car or something like that?  Might be an option.  If club rego gets your car on the road partially it's better than nothing till time is up on the 30 years.

If club rego is an option.  Just a thought.

Keep us posted on how you go.

www.xcz.com.au

Offline TIPPA

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2005, 09:22:28 PM »
From what i've heard with club rego you by law need to log every trip you do with the club before driving out of your driveway. Makes it a bit of a hassle... Not that it always works that way... with an understanding club, members usually take their club registered car out whenever they have the urge, and then if something happens, their first phone call is to the club to jot their (unfortunate) outing in their log book.

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
Converting the vette
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2005, 09:31:09 PM »
Still this has got to be better than all the BS this poor guy has to go through.  And it would only be for a couple of years.  Easy to say when it's not me I know But might be a short fix.  I think our club is understanding in this matter.

Anybody got some feed back on this point, or am I doubling up and it's already been addressed?

www.xcz.com.au

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2005, 10:32:06 PM »
already looked into it man, talked to this club's president and apparently the car has to be 30 years old to qualify, so kind of defeats the purpose. so interstate rego is all i can think of doing, sure it's some regs but still feasible, if i go about it the right way... and if i can find someone that "knows somebody", if you catch my drift. I like relying on other people's contacts, NT contacts would be a plus for sure :)

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
Converting the vette
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2005, 10:35:11 PM »
Hope you find someone.  NT is sooo far away.

Keep us posted.

www.xcz.com.au

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2005, 10:37:47 PM »
will do, of course :)

what's the fine nowadays for driving an unrego'd car? :( hmm probably not worth thinking about eh.... or maybe I could start playing around with firewalls... no that's a little bit more illegal :D

Offline ozpont

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2005, 08:59:40 PM »
NO...NNNNNOOOOOOOO.. Don't convert it.. it'll eventually STUFF it.. by the time you get around to "really finishing"it.. which most conversions are NEVER PROPERLY FINISHED... not 100%.. then you gotta start on the restoration.. more money mmm.... more time...  Without a day job.. your going to be a slave to this thing.. longer then the 2.5 years..

.. Find somebody with trade plates maybe.. or TAKE IT TO PERTH.. for rego.. must be a nice PERTH CORVETTE OWNER in Australia that would help out.. ...

.. converted cars are in the long term worse then LHD ones..   KEEP IT LHD as GM intended...

anyway....come 2007... there will probably be no more Corvettes as we know them anyway.....!!!

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
Converting the vette
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2005, 11:02:38 PM »
Originally posted by ozpont
anyway....come 2007... there will probably be no more Corvettes as we know them anyway.....!!!

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2005, 04:10:25 PM »
yeah my response exactly, though thunderkiss summed it up better! :D

anyway, yeah there would have to be a nice perth or NT vette owner that would help me out... surely?

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2005, 10:21:19 AM »
Just had a very dodgy thought, will post it up even though it's pure dodginess.

Would anyone have an old vette (70's) that would pass a blue slip that they have just sitting there and they're not doing anything with it and probably won't till, say, 2008? :) I'm tempted to rego another vette and use the plates and sticker on my car until 2008 when i can rego my car. At least if they look on the sticker it will say it's a vette, and if they look up the rego it will say it's a vette, the only problem i'd have is if they check the VIN, then I can just stir some bulls**t story about "i bought it from america and this is the VIN they told me and maybe they changed it or..."

Offline MJ427

• Tri Powered
Converting the vette
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2005, 05:29:47 PM »
your going to jail :22

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
Converting the vette
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2005, 05:59:51 PM »
Originally posted by Mattrix
Just had a very dodgy thought, will post it up even though it's pure dodginess.

Would anyone have an old vette (70's) that would pass a blue slip that they have just sitting there and they're not doing anything with it and probably won't till, say, 2008? :) I'm tempted to rego another vette and use the plates and sticker on my car until 2008 when i can rego my car. At least if they look on the sticker it will say it's a vette, and if they look up the rego it will say it's a vette, the only problem i'd have is if they check the VIN, then I can just stir some bulls**t story about "i bought it from america and this is the VIN they told me and maybe they changed it or..."

I know of someone that tried something similar.  The RTA didn't buy it.  They have heard them all...
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
Converting the vette
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2005, 07:12:37 PM »
Originally posted by MJ427
....And while you're there you might meet a nice fellow by the name of Ben dOver who would explain all the ins and outs of the place;35
NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline MJ427

• Tri Powered
Converting the vette
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2005, 07:50:32 PM »
haha;laugh;laugh

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2005, 12:56:56 PM »
Originally posted by MADVET
Originally posted by MJ427
....And while you're there you might meet a nice fellow by the name of Ben dOver who would explain all the ins and outs of the place;35

haha, funny bastards

sorry i'm just having crazy ideas because i wanna drive my vette dammit! and no vette owner has come forward from NT and offered up their services... :(

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
Converting the vette
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2005, 12:23:31 PM »
Seriously though Mattrix if you are really that keen on driving your car LHD then why dont you go over to WA or NT and rent out a unit or townhouse for 6 months.
Then armed with a copy of your lease agreement go down to the RTA and transfer your drivers license over to your new address. Bingo you've just become a new resident. Then simply truck your vette over there and get it rego'd LHD. You never know you might like it over there and might find a job in your field of work and stay for a while.
I know there are plenty of LHD C3 and C4 Corvettes, Camaros and Firebirds cruising the streets of Perth, quite a few LHD Porsches and Mercs cruising around there as well.
If all that is to hard you could simply truck/trailer the car to a race track on a track day just to give you the occasional fix behind the wheel. The great thing about taking it to the track is that you can give it a canning if you want to.
Another option is to sell the car and buy one that is already rego'd.
NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
Converting the vette
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2005, 06:30:03 PM »
Do the NSW RTA have 28 day permits?

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2005, 10:11:49 AM »
wouldn't have a clue, thunderkiss. never heard anything about it...

For some reason I thought that WA was out of the question... I checked out the rego website and got the impression that it couldn't be done over there, or that NT was going to be easier than WA... I'll look the site up again, if I found the right regulation documents before I'm sure I can find them again. And yeah I've been to perth before and didn't mind it so much. all the appeal of a city without being too big, and housing prices are way better than on the east coast.