Technical Tips > Post 84

C4 1987 and the Smell of Leaking Fuel.

<< < (2/5) > >>

Vettech:
Last night I went to bed feeling better, but today upon researching removal of cold start valve & tube assy, not so good.
By the book it appears to be one of those jobs that starts by jacking the car & removing the wheels etc etc.................etc

Pic of the tube / valve assy including the culprit 104 "O ring" is attatched. Not having really touched an injector before, but looking at the pic I would assume undoing the nut at rail end and somehow (?) moving that little clip on top of the injector (cold start valve) would unlock the tube from the injector allowing it tobe unplugged ------- YES !?

Anyone can feel free to chine in here with words and intelligent pearls of wisdom............... I'll wait..................

Vettech:
Bill have a look at these two pics, is the line your refering to the rusty looking tube into the rear bottom of the manifold/plenum ? My culprit is under and behind, looked easy in the book, but..... not so.

The other pic is top of the fuel feed tube onto the cold start injector - the book shows a neat little arm/ lever to unlock it from the injector but not visible at all.

I've not long ago ripped out, re-ran, re-newed and replaced virtually all water pipes, pump inards, thomostats etc etc etc but did not touch your pipe, I think at the time I thought it was Vacumm.........

Vettech:
Sorry I had to split the pics.

Bill - I've now had bright leds etc, and squinty eyes looking at that rusty tube (it's actually corroded copper on my 87) - I could be wrong but looks to be Vacc feeding across to the Brake booster, I'm sure when I yank the booster end it moves at the plenum.

Anyway I'll be able to be more conclusive (soon not today) when I pull the Dizzy up and out.

billc:

Yes ,the "rusty" tube on my 89 goes to the brake booster. the hose I was talkng about starts out as a steel tube about 5 inches long from a " T " piece, ( I'm old school ) on the heater hoses next to the heater box. I the clamps to a rubber hose running between the dizzy and the firewall to the rear of the inlet manifold between the dizzy and the EGR tube. I have the GM1989 Service manuals, but they dont show this hose. the closest drawing is on page 6B-11 and shows " T " piece in heater outlet hose 2  near the heater

Vettech:
Well after looking at the books and the engine, I've convinced myself that I can get the Cold Start fuel feed pipe assy off the car without removing the manifold & plenum.
1. Pull the Dizzy off.
2. Remove the rusty copper pipe assy.
3. Either pull the black square plastic wiring duct out OR remove LH valve cover.
4. Release the fitting off the Cold Start Valve (injector)
5. Unscrew the other end of pipe assy from the LH fuel rail.
6. The assy should come out, if not I should have enough clearance to retrieve 104 ( O'ring )
7. Replace O'ring and maybe also the O'ring located on other end of assy that seals the pipe to CS valve.
8. Reverse 1 thru 7. Done

All this " bates the question ". Its 30++ years old - one lousey O'ring has failed - WHY ???  When and iff will the plephora of other O'rings and seals in the Intake Manifold, Runners and fuel rails fail. Or am I just lucky.

I need to drive it - time and tide stands still for no man, so we will try this small quick fix.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version