Technical Tips > Post 84

C6 Z06 cam angle sensor

(1/2) > >>

jagsy:
Hi all
Post for info.

Our 2008 C6 Z06 has had some sporadic starting issues over the last few weeks.

The initial symptoms was engine cranking but not firing which is common for a faulty crank angle sensor.   I have a great mechanic and the crank angle sensor was changed. Note the symptoms never showed for the mechanic after I had a towie take the car to the workshop!

And no fault codes!!

Soon after the crank angle sensor was changed the starting problem symptoms changed to engine firing but then just stalling,  no response to revs - nothing. This was still sporadic and after a few attempts the car would start and run fine.

Again I couldn't get the symptoms to show the mechanics, the car started fine every time I saw him!!!

We did have a couple of non firing again but the mechanic suggested to change the cam angle senor.

Yes it was the cam angle senor. A serious problem was that it was seized in the mounting point (front of engine).  After a big effort and fingers crossed we have solved the problem.

An info post.

jagsy:
Update - car won't start again. Must ne more than just th3 sensor!!

Shane Finn:
Have your mechanic check the the throttle body behind the blade and the back of the throttle blade for accumulated gunk. If gunk is present, open the throttle blade manually and liberally spray the back of the blade and the area behind the blade with carb cleaner.

When I first got my C5 Z06 20 years ago I had an issue where intermittantly it wouldn't start. It would crank but not fire. Or sometimes would start but surge around below idle speed until it died. At the times this happened I could leave the car for 20 minutes or so, try again and it started. Once started and idling the car always ran great. It did this maybe 5 times in the first year of owning the car.

After cleaning the throttle and blade the issue never re-occurred in 20+ years of owning the car. My theory was that the throttle blade was sticking shut.

jagsy:
Thanks Shane. Symptoms sound similar. We'll check that next week.

bfit:
Two things to check.
Check go pedal is returning all the way up!!!!  Ie hook foot under pedal & lift /  NOT TO aggressively.

Next         multi meter on battery,
Floor the go pedal ( engine no start position) engine should not start with go pedal all the way down.
Partner push  start and check what the voltage drop is.  It would be handy to know what the engine cranking speed as well
Let us know how you go.
Bfit
 Ps ps ps
Can you hear the fuel pump running

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version