Technical Tips > Post 84

C4 1987 Overheating.

(1/3) > >>

Vettech:
Over the past three years I've rebuilt & corrected the cooling layout.
This started after the heater matrix blew up, but strangely I managed to get from Brookes Rd to Cecil Hills, whilst I could smell the antifreeze, there was hardly any fluid on the pass floor, upon starting repair, it became obviouse why. All hoses, pumps, fittings, oil coolers were corroded chockabloc full of rust & corrosion, not to mention kinked hoses and dubious routing.

All the above along with a rebuilt power steering pump, now see's the car ready to go. Switch on, start up..... ummm a bit rough (have not fitted new leads yet), a couple of goes around the block (~less than 50kph), and the temp was getting up to 114 C° and on the way to boiling when the Aux Coolant fan came on - in fact I dont think i'd ever heard the Aux fan run. Umm get the books out and refresh my understanding of C4 cooling. The Cooling Fan (CF) comes on when car starts, runs contiuous up till the car reaches ~65kph at which time it switches off unless other extremes cause the engine temp to rise out of the ordinary, if the temp goes up further the Aux fan comes on.

The fault was either, the CF, it's relay, ECM control, general wiring or power supply. Found the relay and with the help of my trusty helper we asertained the relay was Ok, ECM control OK, once unplugged we slipped a 12v feed onto the CF run wire, and on she came, ergo the CF is OK. Now out came the metre's etc, sure enough no juice from Fusible Link "D" but it looked Ok, no burning, blackning or anything untill a close look, whilst the fusible link looked perfect untill you pulled on one end and the red/orange cover parted and wollah there is no longer a wire inside the sheath - magic.

Vettech:
Pic of the Fusible Links, D has parted, whilst E is ok and runs the Aux fan, both are sealed within a plastic barrel, which has a marking moulded into it - "20" - I'd guess here it means 20 amps capacity. Move pic sideways the see all.

Vettech:
Now I've looked on line here and US.

These types of Fusible Link setups do not seem to be available, of course I can bodgy something up, but alas forever the perfectionist, I'd really like an original (New not 2nd hand) replacement.

Has anyone out there seen, bought, know of where I can get a replacement.

Many thanks.

Vettech:
A big thanks to those two members who sent info about two suppliers of "wire type setups".

I know I waffled on to start with, but now I'm pretty certain, that this whole Overheating saga is more or less down to the failure of the main coolant fan to run. The Temp/press went well up causing old age & corrosion in the heater matrix to fail.
The fusible link was a red herring - sorry Orange herring, in that it was very near to parting ways, when a big pair of gumby hands helped it to break, this area of the engine bay had A/C, heating & coolant hoses not to mention exhaust and wiring moved, heaved upon and wrenched about in every direction in an attempt to fit the a new heater matrix and resolve water etc directions of flow etc. Why do I say this, because I've by-passed the fusible link, manual operation of the relay/fan is OK, the relay coil 12v is OK, but the earth coming from the ECM (ie, the fan controll lead) has nought on it - ergo: the ECM is not sending a signal out, hopefully its the wire between relay and ECM. Either way this is a PITA.

sirfixalot:
not unusual to have more than one fault on a circuit

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version