Technical Tips > Brakes, Suspensions, Steering, Wheels & Tyres

steering column movement

(1/2) > >>

stingray:
Hi, my 77 has slight approximately 15mm up and down movement on the steering column but it seems to be pivoting only about 200 mm from steering wheel so who can fix this pedders do not do this.

Vettech:
Pic of 78 - will no doubt be the same.

Vettech:
Your 77 will be as per my 78 - pic is below.
As you can see the lower LH end goes thru the fire wall and is secured.
The outer casing or tube goes up and to the right where it secures to underside of the Dash assembly.

The lower inner shaft or steering column has bearings/ bushes etc to support and centre it. This shaft should have minimal movement in any direction, but at approx 200mm from the top where it says "PAD ASM - I/P" and the assembly circumference increases, inside this is a knuckle joint that allowes the upper shaft to tilt up/down from the lower shaft.

For some reason I cant find a diag of the innards of this bit, from vague memory its very similar to the early C4's.

Vettech:
This pic is out of my 87 GSM.

Very similar, but the lower pic gives a basic idea, the 4 upper pics are more complicated, this job requires at least three Spec Tools.

Maybe some one else (Bfit or Sirfixalot) can throw more light on the subject - personally I would not worry about 15mm of play, as you can see the knuckle is large and thus the play would be also.

As long as the bolts in the fire wall and the bolts securing the saddle to the dash assembly are torque tight, all good.

Vettech:
From 87 GSM. very small but it shows the layout of the shafts relative to each other

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version