Author Topic: C4 Outside Mirrors  (Read 2931 times)

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
C4 Outside Mirrors
« on: February 23, 2021, 08:21:46 PM »
Well the 87 is about to be blue slipped.

Me, glass and blood have an uneasy relationship, so I've put off fixing my 87 RH side mirror as well as my 90 LH side mirror (cracked in several places)

After a youtube or 3 - it looks easy, the 87 glass is out (fell out), the glass carrier just snaps off the trunion cross piece, after a clean up and a heat pad fitted, a swish of Silastic, now all back together.

The 90 was similar, a replacement mirror came with the car, but the heat pad was RS, and new pads do to seem to be available. Cleaned up, loose wires secured and Silastic.

Oh! Put a dab of grease (hard white petroleum) on each of the two drive pinions - they both work a treat.

Job done.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Kenobe

• Four Barrel
  • Mood: Depends on the wind !!
  • Car: C4 1985
Re: C4 Outside Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 05:21:06 AM »
 :hi: Good morning Vettech, my right hand mirror glass appears to be getting looser as the use goes on. It appears that there may be some screws working loose that attach the glass to the mount but I am yet to pull it apart as I did not want to break the glass.
Would this be the case? Cheers  :bounce:
Living the young boys dream............finally driving a Vette

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 05:14:04 PM »
I have pics but can't load the format.

The glass is glued/silastic'd to a plastic holder, the holder is held to the sealed drive motor by a gimble or trundle (snaps into place).

This allowes up/down & left/right pivot movement. There are also two (2) threaded posts that slot into two (2) holes in the motor assy.

When you push them in, they ratchet down like the brake switch on a holden or C3. The motor engages the threads to drive it in or out.

The motor assy is secured by three screws - and it appears these come loose, re-tighten c/w threadlock.

Yes - you need to be carefull, I pulled the mirror down at the top so I could get fingers or a flat paint scrapper into the gap and gently tug on it and it will snap one end of the trundle (cross thingy) out of its holder, then work your way around ...... gently.

The mirror if firmly glued to the plastic holder, should not break, but you need to keep any force flat, because the plastic will bend and the glass wont.
 Oh! I did not mention the heat pad (if fitted) is wired and if not tampered with will not have any connectors in its wires, if there are its a dead giveaway that some one has already been there. The wires are connected flimsily to the heat pad, the mirror can hang from them while you do the screws, but be carefull, they easily pull away from the heat pad, which after 30 years is lucky if still working and notcorroded out.

Once apart the above will become clear, snap back together after the threaded pins are seated, I used a thick soft pad between my hand and the glass when snapping the trundle back together - can take a few goes since it has 2 places to snap into.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Kenobe

• Four Barrel
  • Mood: Depends on the wind !!
  • Car: C4 1985
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 06:00:49 AM »
 :hi: Thank you for your informative procedure, I will add it to my to do list as it is becoming worse and I don't want it to drop out onto the road one day and then there is the vibration effect making it hard to see in the mirror clearly as it becomes looser.  :cheers:
Living the young boys dream............finally driving a Vette