Author Topic: ADR regs on brake lights and indicators  (Read 3972 times)

Offline Tony

• I'm new here
ADR regs on brake lights and indicators
« on: January 08, 2021, 04:17:32 PM »
Hi All.
I own a 1967 C2 427/390 Big Block which is mostly authentic and in schmick condition.
It has been on H plates for a few years however I notice the new regs re conforming to ADR in relation to flashing brake lights and red indicators is being discussed.
I do not live in the city but I admit I have NOT seen a Corvette or Mustang of this 1966 67 era that has had changes made.
My mechanic says it is a major job (removal of exhaust etc) to re do the wiring to conform.
Could someone enlighten me as to whether club members are changing their lighting to conform and if so the cheapest way to do it.
Any comments much appreciated or is it worthwhile just leaving authentic??? What are most C2 Corvette owners doing.?????
Thank You
Tony Goninan

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
Re: ADR regs on brake lights and indicators
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 08:10:01 PM »
Technically I guess blinkers don't need to be changed as 67 is pre adr's  but stand behind car and get some one to sit in car with foot hovering on brake with blinker  on will look pretty confusing  from rear personally I think it is required more for a safety aspect. Correct me if if I am wrong a  C2 has a white lense which can have an orange globe fitted to meet the requirement to separate the turn indicator. A twin filament globe can be used or separate sockets sharing the same clear lense for reverse & turn signals. Have done it numerous times on C3 cars is a very simple wiring mod. I dare say C2 would be the same. Nothing externally on car gets changed

Offline Tony

• I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 07:38:59 PM »
The C2 1967 has 2 red lens either side with the reverse light in the middle so difficult to rewire to stop brake light blinking at same time as indicator. Correct me if I am wrong but I was not aware that say a 1967 model would be exempt from current ADR?????? Thanks Tony

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 09:14:15 PM »
A vehicle can only comply to the ADR's that applied at the date of manufacture.

If they were made retrospective there would be absolutely no older vehicles on the road.

The splitting of the circuits from memory requires an extra wire to be run front to back. Both my 87 & 90 have one LH & one RH lens changed to amber. You could use dual filiment globes or dual colour LEDs and a clear lens - the possibilities are endless. Definitely on a C4 and from memory the 78 C3 the wiring runs internal and goes thru the rear "tramsom" for want of a better word via a rubber gland. But could just as easily be run under the vehicle.

But be aware that individuals are trying to change rules applying to "H" plates.

🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 05:23:22 PM »
I did see an Led/plasma  style rear light assembly (Vanlines pty ltd).

These had rear red tail light, then a section of these went much brighter for brake light.(pretty standard)
THEN a section went Yellow/amber for indicator. But the whole lens looked Red at first.

These required three wires but from memory two did a polarity swap to activate the colour change.

The leds appeared like plasma - ie. The whole red plastic section changed to yellow and looked homogeneous.

They looked like C4 size but were more C3 size or at least more easily adapted for C3, but I prefer old C3 lights.
P.S These things were being marketed to trucks etc. Ergo they would be ADR approved.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 08:41:36 PM »
67 vette may not be subject to ADR's but a vette wasn't sold here in Australia new so what was legal in the US doesn't count here. Easiest way to look at it say a 67 holden sold new here in Australia had orange blinkers separate from brake lights so there must have been some rule in vogue in 67 for local car manufacturers to make them that way. I'm sure local car manufacturers wouldn't have done it without a push.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 10:07:50 PM »
In 1967 it was legal to use hand singles , and you need to demonstrate that you knew them to get a licence. In case the  indicator didn’t work.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 12:09:30 AM »
That's a very interesting hypothesis Sirfixalot.

Very logical - but keep in mind we are dealing with Govt's and their agents. Twisting the parametres to suit THEIR agenda is easy for them. I heard a little bird say the powers to be wanted the rules to apply such that wheels could only be those OEM supplied new.

You and I know that After Market wheels have been around since year dot, often those fitted OEM  were a cheap compromise. Whilst safe enough they may not have been the best option for all applications.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Kenobe

• Four Barrel
  • Mood: Depends on the wind !!
  • Car: C4 1985
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 06:28:52 AM »
 :hi: we still use hand signals today, " watch for finger"  :banana: :banana:
Living the young boys dream............finally driving a Vette

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
    • www.invisiblecarbras.com.au
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 07:52:52 AM »
From what I believe to be correct, ADR's came in effect 1st Jan 1969. Any vehicles manufactured before that date don't require amber turn signals. for example, FC Holden has the same system as Vettes.  Australian Manufacturers knew the ADR's were coming and made their vehicles compliant prior to the required date. In the end, it is in the interpretation of the engineer/roadworthy tester if it passes.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 09:13:34 AM »
It’s interesting that we are discussing ADR’s in a country that doesn’t manufacture an Australian car to sell to the general population.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 10:28:55 PM »
Here is a bit of history from Wikipedia
Until the early 1960s, most front turn signals worldwide emitted white light and most rear turn signals emitted red. The auto industry in the USA voluntarily adopted amber front-turn signals for most vehicles beginning in the 1963 model year,[64][65] though the advent of amber signals was accompanied by legal stumbles in some states[66] and front turn signals were still legally permitted to emit white light until FMVSS 108 took effect for the 1968 model year, whereupon amber became the only permissible front turn-signal colour. Currently, most countries outside the United States and Canada require that all front, side and rear turn signals produce amber light.

In Brazil, Canada, Switzerland and the US, the rear signals may be amber or red. Additionally, red turn signals can also be found in countries with trade agreements with the US such as Mexico and South Korea, as well as in New Zealand.[67] Proponents of red rear turn signals have claimed that they are less costly to manufacture,[68] and automakers use turn signal colour as a styling element to differentiate vehicles of different model years.[69][70] Proponents of amber rear turn signals say they are more easily discernible as turn signals.[71] It has been recognised since the 1960s that amber turn signals are more quickly spotted than red ones.[72][73][74] A 2008 US study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration suggests vehicles with amber rear signals rather than red ones are up to 28% less likely to be involved in certain kinds of collisions,[75] a followup 2009 NHTSA study determined there is a significant overall safety benefit to amber rather than red rear turn signals,[76] US studies in the early 1990s demonstrated improvements in the speed and accuracy of following drivers' reactions to stop lamps when the turn signals were amber rather than red,[71][77][78][79][80] and NHTSA determined in 2015 that amber rear turn signals can be provided at comparable cost to red ones.[70]

There is some evidence that turn signals with colourless clear lenses and amber bulbs may be less conspicuous in bright sunlight than those with amber lenses and colourless bulbs.[81]

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2021, 10:42:49 PM »
 :1st:
Winston Churchill