Author Topic: Leather seat covers  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Old guy

• Two Barrel
  • Car: c3 1980 Vette
Leather seat covers
« on: December 30, 2020, 02:53:21 PM »
Hi, anyone bought or used something like these:-

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Custom-Made-1970-1978-Corvette-C3-Real-Leather-Seat-Covers-more-color/272871946885 (ad's not worded brilliantly but their feedback is very good)

The price I've been quoted for 2 seats locally is in the thousands! $700+ for these, plus fitting. Anyone have an idea what a a trimmer may charge for fitting?
Issues you see with the ebay ones?

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
Re: Leather seat covers
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 07:52:17 PM »
Hi Old guy if you buy the seats with the foam fitted they are easy to fit plus a better job all round. Plus you save fitting cost. That's what i have done in the past. Just a thought Ray

Offline Matt G

• Four Barrel
  • Car: 1970 Coupe 350 manual.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 06:07:43 PM »
Not me, but I’m considering something similar at some point in the future.  I remember a Vette mate in the USA telling me that the most important tool to do the job are the hog ring pliers.  Not sure if it was just him, but new tools are cool, dang it, I’ll just have to buy some before I consider the task....
Please keep us posted if you go ahead. 👍

Offline Old guy

• Two Barrel
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 08:51:21 AM »
Thanks guys. Yes the hog pliers, etc. are needed. I may give it a go, but if a pro can do it for a few 100, it may be less stressful for me and it's done right. I'll keep you informed as to what happens.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 04:22:37 PM »
I suppose you have no doubt double checked the seats.

I could  be wrong about earlier than 78, but at least in 78 there was a choice of seats.
The Pace Car & the Anniversary finished car had optional seats that folded higher up, were fuller, with seat and back bolstering.
These were then the base seats for the following 79 thru 82 models.

My basic 78 seats are flatter, and do NOT have a slot high up across the back swab.

I've seen earier cars with this type of seat,  the Pace car and later 79~82 seats are more comfortable, and tend to hold you in place, whilst on the original seats, I used to slide from side to side. (No wonder I like C4 seats)
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Old guy

• Two Barrel
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 04:56:40 PM »
Scott's motor trimmers here on the Central Coast have quoted about $800 to remove the old and fit the new covers. I'm still deciding which way to go. I haven't bought the covers yet from the States! So all up about $1500.