Technical Tips > Brakes, Suspensions, Steering, Wheels & Tyres

C4 Power Steering Noise Issues

<< < (2/4) > >>

Vettech:
Well after an hour, its drained, I've removed the suss hose and guess what - its not a purpose made OEM hose, its a straight bit bent in a "U"  shape, which eventually has kinked at the two corners, was even hard to blow air through, so I would expect the pump caused cavitation,  plenty of Air, not enough fluid, no wonder it was screaming.

Anyway now its off - being half way there, we may as well get the pump checked by an "EXPERT" on Monday or when one opens again - no doubt in the new year.

Then the "Blue Streak Rocket Sled" will be back....

P.S In my garage search for missing trim parts, I located another Sports Seat Base, a quick electrical check shows all motors and gear box working, well at least working unloaded, wont  tell untill installed and being sat in, when car out of garage I'll be able to install it.

Regards.

sirfixalot:
If it is just a normal piece of hose why don't you put a spring inside it to stop it collapsing or kinking

Vettech:
Yes THEY have used a straight piece of hose.

And it's funny you should say that - I did think of this and checked out the old hose for spring inside.

However, I still have my daily driver, even though 87 is overdue for rego, I think I'll use the correct hose - yes I'm being pedantic, but I'm sure this will pay dividends in the future, besides I've now removed all this gear on the front of the engine so many times, I'm fed up with it, esp if I get the drivers seat fully functional, I'll just want to get in and drive....

P.S the old hose is bleeding fluid, its soggy, its rotten - like me - past it's use by date.

But now I have pump, hoses etc fully out I can give some thought to my copper pipe suggestion, but for now the Cricket is on ....

Vettech:
Well I made an impromptu visit to the "Wilton Oracle" today, taking my PS pump, and a few items he wanted a loan of.
In quick time we went from "yep it looks ok" to its now in a thousand pieces, OMG whats that tiny bit on the floor.
After much ado - we sorry he had it back together, tested (sort of), and ready to go back into car.

I just need to figure out if I have enough blood left in my hands & arms, to allow me to get down into the bowels of the motor where all the sharp & nasty bits are located. I'll try to get a pic up, as I have made a copper Tube for the suction line (Res into Pump) which will interconnect via short pieces of 16mm rubber hose, this will allow absorption of vibration, long life and confidence.

It turns out that the tricky part is getting the mount bolts out, since they are located behind the pulley, which REALLY needs to come off before the Ali frame is removed from the engine. A PULLER IS REQUIRED - its a simple design, but is quick & easy and will save lots of time, skin, blood a lost tempers........ 

Vettech:
The pump was re-installed but the issue / screeching / no power etc was still there. New parts ordered.

After much ado, my U.S order has arrived, this pack includes a Power Steering Pump (PSP) seal kit.

This kit consists of 4 O'Rings, 1 Shaft seal. After many Youtubes we feel ready to have another go at it.
Also a Tool Kit - courtesy of my daughter, arrived - el cheapo 12 piece PSP Puller kit, leaves a lot to be desired.

Everything removed from vehicle - I went to see the "Wilton Oracle", I think he was glad to see me, well not me persay - but the PSP which after our last failed attempt left us both longing for a Correct Outcome. In a flash he had it apart, new Orings and seals fitted and put back together. This time we would give it a BETTER testing.

Driven by Batt drill, it quickly showered us both with Power Steer Fluid - didnt do that last time - with only a few revs it burst into life.
The first time we rebuilt the PSP we did not have an exact kit, one O'ring was not replaced, and the ones we did looked close enough,  so we did a complet strip and replaced all O'rings, the culprit was hard, square, crumbly - also the shaft seal was hard and suss. With this the "Oracle" had a much happier look on his face.

Now to fit it into the 87, fingers crossed. The kit is a "Gates" part.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version