Technical Tips > Brakes, Suspensions, Steering, Wheels & Tyres

C4 Power Steering Noise Issues

(1/4) > >>

Vettech:
As you may know, I've been working on the heater which turned into nearly the whole car.
Everything is back, including a now repaired passenger seat, dash and all the moving bits on the front of the engine.
After some hit and miss, its running, but when fully fitted with the serpentine belt, we get a noise which gets worse if we turn the steering wheel either way. No work was carried out on the pump, rack & steering gear. The pump just lay in the bottom whilst I worked above. Prior to work there was no noise or steering issues.

With RH conversion, another rack is fitted, the Res bottle and pump remain in their original positions. However many years ago I modified the Res bottle, turning it 90°, so the hoses came out and across the car  - not out directly into the pump pulley face. This situation has worked fine with better clearances all round.

But the hoses were not originals, obviously something made to just work. They are give or take 30yrs old. I can see the Res to pump input hose has at least two kinks, and is bleeding a minute amount of fluid. The noise I assume is the pumps reaction to not being able to draw sufficient oil in, to supply the required high pressure feed to the rack. I dont believe a pump working fine one minute, sits for a month or 15, then fails upon reuse. The system was not drained, and has remained sealed. The HP hose has multiply metal adaptors, fittings, bends etc to get it out of the pump and across to the RH side, passing extremely close between the pump pulley and the fly wheel. (In fact it has chaffing)

So member, have you had a steering PUMP issue, with LOUD Noises - nearly like a buzz saw when engine rev'd.
Any thoughts or things you did to overcome this type of problem would be appreciated - and NO! I'm not selling it.
Regards.

MY081:
When i raced my vette it sometimes would make the noise your talking about . It was caused by the fluid get hot and agitating (not your problem ) sounds like its starving for fluid .Ray

Vettech:
Thanks for the reply Ray.

I like to analyse problems before ripping them apart, and with Res to Pump feed pipe looking soggy and kinked I tend to agree its most likely cavitation due it not getting enough fluid in. Sounds like when you drive the rack to the N stop and it gives a howl but a bit louder.

Trouble now is getting another hose, as I said the pump and Res are in their original positions, so an original off the shelf hose should do the job. I dont think I can use Ordinary straight hose as it does some loop the loops getting from Res to pump.

I can see them in the States for $13 ~ $35 USD. (+ you guessed it - freight / postage / f#×%&)

Ummm.... I now have a tube bender, maybe some nice 5/8" copper bent around the several curves, with short rubber hose joiners clamped in place - but I can't get 5/8" copper or brass olives, I used 3/4" on my coolant water "T" piece, cutting a section out, reducing the dia and silver soldering, this gives the little raised lip for the hose to seal over and the clamp to hold securely. But my ventures into the realm of Silver Soldering has left a lot to be desired.

I'll need to defer to my mechanical advisor - The Wilton Oracle for some illuminating advise.

P.S ~ The GM part# is 14084032 - but I can't see a Dayco or Gates equiv #.

Vettech:
Well after a lot of fishing around under the car, I managed four things.
1. Crook neck.
2. Crook back.
3. Crud falling in my eyes.
4. I'm going to have to remove everything above the Pump, ie belt, Alt, Smog pump, three support frames.

Now to google how to get the pulley off the pump, or even if I need to.!?

Vettech:
Ummmm it needs a special albeit a very simple puller. Not available.

So now all the gear is off and pump c/w pulley is free, removed Res to pump feed Hose and some fluid flows out.

Getting tied of waiting - 20 mins and still only dripping out. Half expecting some cloggy mess in the bottom of Res bottle.

Time for a rest and a drink - but I'd hazzard a guess that pipe has delaminated internally and is blocked, leave it for now as I can do nothing more, nor get any parts. Monday maybe get the pump tested by a Power Steer Shop, after all it is 30++ yrs old.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version