Technical Tips > Electrical-Electronics-Air-Lighting-Guages-Security-Vacuum

C4 87 Heater Matrix

(1/6) > >>

Vettech:
Been doing a lot of work on the 87 - all coolant related, but it was initially caused by the Heater Matrix giving up the ghost.

Now a lot of interested parties have suggested that I forget the heater and just by-pass, this cry grew when the Oil Cooler (KC4) was found tobe RS. After much-a-do, the oil cooler has been repaired (tks Bfit), new water pump, new hoses and metal lines, new brackets and a now new Heater matrix has arrived.

For normal LH drive cars, HM removal is time expensive and requires the removal of an unseen, invisable, ridiculously hard to get to 7mm bolt. But thats on LH this has been converted to RH drive.

Its taken me four days to get it out, of course not full on, I worked till desperation, back ache and blood loss caused me to quit.

Between hidden screws, and god only knows what was holding it in, I finally got the heater casing apart and out, but even then there were more hidden screws holding the core in place, once found and removed, it still would not retract from the fire wall, so a block of wood and an Engineers 2 1/2lb Ball pein hammer finally did the trick. But once it was out, and casing and core fully inspected, I could find No REASON why it did not come easily out.

Vettech:
Old and new and persuader.

Vettech:
This case has been modified with a section removed to allow the case to fit up behind the aluminium cross member which supports the Dash but also supports and re-enforces the two A Pillars. Once hidden screws, glue, hooks and clips removed it has tobe helped out past the cross member. The removed section has an infill which squares it off, sealing the case around the cross member. This piece is f/glass, rivets and epoxy. 

Vettech:
Another shot - this time inside of the front half of the heater casing.

Vettech:
Another shot. The cross member and to the right the housing feeds the ducts and vent distribution behind the centre dash/consul.
In the centre is an orange square section - this is the blend door, which mixes the cold A/C with warm air. This is operated by the metal rod and electric servo.

To the left is a mass of bibs and bobs, cables etc which obscure the two holes in the fire wall where the heater core pipes go to the engine.

I just love puzzles. P.S note the centre of cross member has a curved upward section, this is where the original steering column would have been.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version