Author Topic: 1974 NSW Number Plate Fitment Issue  (Read 7430 times)

Offline Ezy03

• I'm new here
  • Car: C3 '#03974 Stingray
1974 NSW Number Plate Fitment Issue
« on: September 15, 2021, 05:14:39 PM »
Hi All,

Is there a way for the standard black and white plates to be fitted on a 1974 Corvette?

I've seen previous post but they are outdated and a lot of links etc aren't working so it's hard to tell.

Has anyone have current solutions?

Thanks!

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
Re: 1974 NSW Number Plate Fitment Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 08:12:26 PM »
Unless you have special number, try getting US style plates.

I dont like paying extra for plates they should supply as a matter of course.
C4 are just as bad, but US size overcomes all, but now on "H plates" i had to make a US size dummy plate onto which the H plates attaches.

Originally on my 78 with Black on Yellow plates, they were bent up at the ends or cut off.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 08:38:40 PM »
I have XX-999 style B&W plates fitted to my 1970 C3. It was 10 years or so ago but, IIRC, I found US plate holders that suited with a bit of trimming of the edges of the plates.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline Kenobe

• Four Barrel
  • Mood: Depends on the wind !!
  • Car: C4 1985
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 07:31:27 AM »
 :hi: Yes on the C4 the only plate is the US style and I think I pay around $115 per year for the privilege after the manufacturing cost,
I did ask Service NSW for a regular plate and told them I would have to bend up both ends and they said that was not legal so I said my next option was to cut off the last letter, they didn't see the funny side so I selected my Initial and birth year on American Muscle Plates and paid my bill.  :banghead:
Living the young boys dream............finally driving a Vette

Offline Ezy03

• I'm new here
  • Car: C3 '#03974 Stingray
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 08:46:13 AM »
Thanks for the reply guys!

Looks like I need to purchase the USA style plates from myplates, and then return the standard black and white plates to RMS (which they say i can get refunded for - which is good news).

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 09:56:31 PM »
I think you will find you must take the old ones off and hand back with paperwork, then they will issue what ever style you want with the next number in the batch they have, it should be just an exchange plate (if nothing special you will have the pleasure of only forking out $40). The rego should carry over. This I did at W'pk RTA on two C4's.

H PLATES fit on the front of C3's, you will need to adapt at the rear, log book allowes a lot of "daily driving" plus any additional authorised club runs.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 08:41:35 PM »
Its crook you can't get a standard plate without charge to fit your car without committing an offence either cutting or bending plate but they are happy to take your money for rego, then tell you that you don't own plates and only way to be legal is to get double dipped and incur an additional charge for something you have already payed for, then pay an annual fee on top for the privilege.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 08:47:13 PM »
It’s like land tax ,  you save for years to buy it then you spend years paying it off then you spend the rest of you life paying tax on it .
And there are people in this country that think we live in a fee country .
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill