Technical Tips > Post 84

C4 1990 Third Brake Light

(1/5) > >>

Vettech:
Now for the job I was trying to fix before the Airbag/seatbelt lights got in the way.

My hi level 3rd brake light does not work, because of the lack of staff at home, testing is a problem.
Suffice to say the globes (4) are all OK. In a C4, this cct comes directly off a seperate switch located on the brake pedal assembly.

Like other lever actuated switches - it is a semi floating arrangment, so you would say "Well just adjust it", unfortunately stuffing a 6' 11/2" person upside down head first under the LH dash is not easy, even though its had Left to Right hand conversion (chain&bar) the switches are still on the LH side right up under the dash, glove box and a miriad of other stuff which precludes the ability to see any thing.

After a "nasty glare" I've decided not to proceed any more today as "We" are going to a Corvette breaky run tomorrow....

If you have had this issue please let us know what you found.

Ausrs:
Maybe change the  halogens in the 3rd brake lights to led globes (got mine off of ebay) to lessen the load on the switch and simply wire the 3rd brake light into the existing functioning rear brake switch
via the back lights , means you do not have to stuff yourself under a dash

bfit:
There’s a good thought, more than one way, as they say
Bfit

Vettech:
Thanks gents - all good info.

As usual not straight forward.

I had D4 on the brake, after I moved a heap of bibs & bobs, I could see the switch and adjusted it,      Nothing ..... umm.

Pull the third light off, the only bulb that I refitted had burnt legs and were effectively O/C.

A friend from the Central Coast Codgers had given me 4 used, but good bulbs, quick refit - all now good.

Done and dusted - but now I'll investigate those LED's for ron.

This does raise another question ! This pedal switch has a second switch which I think is for the TCC !?!!.
My FSM is for 87, and I've had a niggerling feeling that the Torque Converter is not Locking up - but this is for another story.

Ausrs:
2 switches on the brake, one for lights and one for cruise control,cruise one has a vacuum hose attached to it
link for globes that fit in 3rd brake light,the original ones I bought I did have to drill out the fitting (mine is also a convertible)  and remember they only go in one way

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/183298041763

The halogens are available from Bunnings

As for tq converter,it should kick in at 50 mph and it is noticeable on my 87 what is your economy like when using the car ?

I has my chip reprogrammed years ago and changed it to 35 mph 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version