Technical Tips > Post 84

C4 1990 "Rest Infl" alarm lights.

<< < (2/2)

Vettech:
Hahahahaaaaaa ha!

I love it when a plan comes together. What a great day.

I ripped the LH 1/4 panel off, battery out, battery holder, and there it is, the LH airbag sensor.

BUT - RIGHT NEXT TO IT ARE TWO EARTHS !?..

So chassis cleaned, greased, but the earths are now tied to the sensor via its small bolt.

Took a few goes to reset the computer, but now the "INFL REST" and the little red seat belt man are GONE.

Time for a G&T icy cold......... or two............

Oh and your wrong its better to be driving a Rocket Sled than a bucket of squeaks.............

Now for the job I was originally looking to fix -the hi level third brake light...

Vettech:
So much for the plan coming together.
On the way to Port MacQ last week the "REST INF" and the little red seat belt man came on again.
Thats a PITA.

Left it till today, between showers I interogated the computer via the ALDL socket.

Only one code - "26"    thats the RH side sensor - defective earth. (Possible)

OH well in hindsight, this side was originally a PITA, ended up with more holes in my hands/arm leaking my red transmission fluid than a colendar.

So this time I'll remove the 1/4 panel, wheel, inside wheel guard, washer bottle, overflow bottle - then maybe I'll get a hand onto the sensor.

I think I will make a good lead with crimped/soldered ends so I can run across to the LH side and pick up the earths on the LH sensor.
This will tie all the earths together and the LH  one also ties straight to the Neg battery terminal.

If that dont fix it, then I dont know what will, maybe look at the 91 model ccts to see the differences, but I think its safe to assume the 91~ have different computers and software.
Regards.

Vettech:
Back Again.
As already explained the C4 90 is the only year that has this SIR/ Airbags issue, caused by an idiot designer. (Sorry I call a spade a spade).
The resultant alarm displays the "little red seat belt man" and the "rest infl" lights.
In theory these lights should negate your pink slip & rego.

Now that I've repaired all else, I will tackle fitting a purpose made lead that according to my little grey cells, should rectify this issue.

Keep in mind that my sensors etc are all working OK, it's the inadequate cabling, earthing & connections that causes this ECM derived alarm situation to be displayed.

Not a five minute job as the quarter panels, inner guards, battery and its holder etc etc have to be removed, but I believe this mod should overcome these alarms - keep you posted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version