Author Topic: C4 1990 Dash AC Vents  (Read 3816 times)

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
C4 1990 Dash AC Vents
« on: April 20, 2022, 03:57:23 PM »
Please see attatched pic of an AC vent located centre top of dash in a LHD C4 1990 model.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
Re: C4 1990 Dash AC Vents
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 04:04:07 PM »
Unfortunately my dash vent looks like this, modified for RHD.
You will notice the curves are reversed and much of the grill is missing.
Not sure how they made this piece, but what ever it is, it is now super brittle.

I thought about getting a 3d printed replacement, so far no takers, but one suggested using Nylon or a plastic which could withstand the temperatures that come with cars in Oz. His plastic would not.

Even if I bought a original replacement, I'm still stuck with it being a mirror reverse, ergo it will not fit.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 05:28:31 PM »
Back again. After getting a new centre vent from a chappie in Vic, I thought all my woes were over.
The new unit arrived - but alas was smaller, so somewhere between 90 and as it turns out 94, the designers and their french curves have redesigned the C4 dash and instruments.

But other issues reared their ugly heads, which resulted in seats out, centre console & shifter panel and centre instruments out.
Never seeing an original C4 90, I had not realised the original centre consol & shifter & centre storage compartment actually slope down to the left (original drivers side) of course the converters have cut & pasted and inserted packing blocks to level everything up to the right hand side. This has caused everything to be out of plumb, nothing goes together easily - so back to square one.
Starting with seat belt sockets, refitted correctly, then refitting and moving forward, now everything slots together nicely.

BUT! There is always a but, typical on jobs like these, even though everthing except the seats stayed in the car, I'm  now shy of the circlip that secures the Shifter knob & button in place.

I dont even know what size it is - blo#$%^ hell. 

🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 03:55:29 PM »
Going on Codgers run thursday, so time to fuel up, and since I'm now closer to Wilton, I decided to go and see the Wilton Oracle.
He indicated that he had a box of tricks and that my Circlip has found it's way into his box.

Sure enough it had, was correct dia and thickness, the Oracle had a special whiz bang tool, and fitted it back into the shifter, saving me using the 2 1/2 lb engineers ball pein hammer I normally use (universal persuader).

NOW everything is great - or is it.....???
🖕 Vettech.