Author Topic: C3 Bumper covers replacement  (Read 3467 times)

Offline Philip

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
  • Car: 76C3
C3 Bumper covers replacement
« on: January 05, 2022, 10:57:59 AM »
Hi Guys
I'm in the process of fitting new fibreglass bumper covers to my C3. The front definitely needs some work to get a decent fit. The rear is pretty good and wont take too much lining up. What I would like to know is do you use any type of sealant in the join or just filling and shaping of body filler to give a definite seam. I have seen some where the joint has been filled and looks like it has no seam. What are you thoughts?. Thanks

Offline stingray

• Four Barrel
Re: C3 Bumper covers replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 04:46:08 PM »
Hi Philip I I took off the original bumper and replaced it with a fiberglass one, I had to cut mine into 4 sections so it would have a smooth join finish that's how far out it was but the previous owner gave me the glass one when I bought the car. there is no sealer joint you just smooth sand and shape to have a nice fit. good luck. Alan

Offline Philip

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 09:22:47 AM »
Thanks Alan
The reason I asked was when I removed the old Urethane bumper on the front it had some flexible sealant material in the join. It must have been a chore for you if you had to cut it in 4 places and then re-glass the joins. My new front will need cutting also to get it lined up. I need to get some advice on the tail lights/blinkers conversion before I cut the holes in the new rear bumper, I don't know if there are new replacement lights that can be fitted instead of the original. This car hasn't been registered in Australia before so I'll have to change to give amber indicators etc. Also did you fasten the retainer bolts with some sort of filler or adhesive to the bumper cover once it was all lined up?

Offline stingray

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 09:45:14 AM »
I just bolted the nose cone back on, the tail lights on my car are corvette dome style which have indicator section made into them by previous owner, I have had this car for about 21 years. I fitted  and bolted the 4 sections separate to the car lined it up smooth to the body line then glassed it on the car then when set hard removed it and worked on it off the car. check out the tail lights at Zip or Ecklers to see what the look like are you going to all American day what suburb do you live. Alan

Offline stingray

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 09:48:07 AM »
just noticed you are at Newcastle

Offline stingray

• Four Barrel
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 09:55:22 AM »
just noticed you are at Newcastle
go to club website and my white 77 is there check smaller photos for tailights

Offline Philip

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 05:05:08 PM »
Hi again Alan
Trying to find suitable lights but cant seem to locate any at this stage. I'll keep an eye out. I am almost finished with the rear bumper fitting but don't want to cut the holes for the lights yet until I know for sure. I'll attack the front bumper in a couple of months as we are going away on holidays soon. I'll have a look at your lights and hopefully get some orange ones. I'm in Adamstown up here in Newcastle. Probably won't make the All American Day this year. Thanks again.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 08:30:55 AM »
Hi Philip
Tail light wiring can be modified to use the original lights in rear with a dual filament socket with orange globe in reverse light position i have a work sheet with step by step instruction how to do if you are replacing rear bar it is real easy to do mod

Offline Philip

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 09:29:15 AM »
That would be much appreciated if you can give me a copy of the worksheet so I can do the mods. Not sure what I have to do with the side marker lights also front and rear. Thankyou once again.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2022, 10:40:39 AM »
Send me a PM with your email address will sort it out for you

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2022, 08:03:03 PM »
Email sent with attachments