Author Topic: Ecklers RH Side mirror  (Read 5668 times)

Offline Matt G

• Four Barrel
  • Car: 1970 Coupe 350 manual.
Ecklers RH Side mirror
« on: December 08, 2018, 09:55:20 PM »
Hi guys, just a quick heads-up that  the RH side mirror for a ‘70 from Ecklers has a bad casting and won’t mount down tight on your car. Their LH side fits fine, however the RH side base casting flange is about 2mm too short. I tried two of them and even tried rigging up a spacer, however no success.  Steer clear if you don’t want to waste a bunch of time and money.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Re: Ecklers RH Side mirror
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 05:21:03 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up.

Poor fitting parts is the bane of the Corvette aftermarket, unfortunately, and especially annoying when you add shipping.

It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 04:42:19 PM »
I did a post a long time ago on how to fix your original mirrors,a step by step,it should be still on here some were?very helpful and a lot cheaper

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 06:03:18 PM »
I did a post a long time ago on how to fix your original mirrors,a step by step,it should be still on here some were?very helpful and a lot cheaper

Here you go:

https://nswcorvettes.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,4745.msg1045921478.html#msg1045921478
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 07:03:16 AM »
nice job that's the one

Offline Matt G

• Four Barrel
  • Car: 1970 Coupe 350 manual.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 10:53:01 AM »
Thanks guys. I will try the petrol soak to remove the mirror. I found a YouTube that used heat, however it wasn’t effective.  My mirror issue is pitted chrome, not ball/pivot tightness. I was going to try to swap the top portion only (my old base is still pretty good). Does anyone have any tips for removing the ball/pivot friction joint. The replacement mirror has the pressure plate screwed in, not riveted, however I think the ball is two piece permanent thread-locked inplace. I took two visegrips to a previous one and couldn’t budge it (obviously destroying it at the same time - no loss as a tester). I tried to simply pull it straight off ( I remember doing this on and old Toyota crown and Holden), however she’s in there seriously, seriously tight.
Any feedback would be awesome. Or alternatively, any known (known will fit) vendors of a RH side mirror for a 70 (and a price if a club member) would be handy. Thanks 😁👍